Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Starting New Thread During Peyote Stitch Starting New Thread During Peyote Stitch

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
AngieBuns is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Starting New Thread During Peyote Stitch

Can I have a little bit of help please How do I end a thread and start a new one doing Peyote stitch, WITHOUT making a mistake? BTW was beading the end of my man's Eagle Feather, and the thread ran out

Thanks so much for your time and info:)
AngieBuns is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
When you run out of thread; do not cut it off first of all. You take your needle and weave it down through your finished work(diagonally), do not "skip over" beads, but go through them, I usually go through 10 beads or more. (do not cut off yet) At the same time, do not forget where you placed your last bead in position. Wax and thread a new needle. You want to start the new needle about 3-4 beads(rows) in from where your new bead will be positioned. I always go diagonal to where I start and end a new bead. Then you just continue on with you peyote stitch, I make a full circle around my work before I go back and clip off my old thread. Hope that helps. WW

Last edited by WocusWoman; 04-08-2005 at 06:01 PM..
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Shmiles With Eskimo Pride

nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,364.92
Thumbs up GR8 tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
When you run out of thread; do not cut it off first of all. You take your needle and weave it down through your finished work(diagonally), do not "skip over" beads, but go through them, I usually go through 10 beads or more. (do not cut off yet) At the same time, do not forget where you placed your last bead in position. Wax and thread a new needle. You want to start the need needle about 3-4 beads(rows) in from where your new bead will be positioned. I always go diagonal to where I start and end a new bead. Then you just continue on with you peyote stitch, I make a full circle around my work before I go back and clip off my off thread. Hope that helps. WW
TY WW
GR8 tip

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
Join my on my face book fan page:
nt_inuk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
When you run out of thread; do not cut it off first of all. You take your needle and weave it down through your finished work(diagonally), do not "skip over" beads, but go through them, I usually go through 10 beads or more. (do not cut off yet) At the same time, do not forget where you placed your last bead in position. Wax and thread a new needle. You want to start the need needle about 3-4 beads(rows) in from where your new bead will be positioned. I always go diagonal to where I start and end a new bead. Then you just continue on with you peyote stitch, I make a full circle around my work before I go back and clip off my off thread. Hope that helps. WW
I still dont get it, I wish could you illustrate it Ah well, maybe a just a longer thread in the first place will help? *wry smile*
Old 04-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

posha one is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey AngieBuns, the way I end mine is about the same as WW, run your needle thru about 10/12 beads ONCE YOU COMPLETED YOUR ROW. THEN, thread your needle and start thru about 6/8 beads toward where you left off and yer ready to start putting'um on again. Is this clear to ya?? Give a holler if not.
posha one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Hey Angie Buns,

little question. Did you bead directly on the feather or did you put leather between?

If you used buckskin between you simply go up (or down, depends which direction you bead) and mack a zig zag through the leather.
Then you can make a knot and cut of the thread.
To start where you stopped just begin as you ended, make a zig zag through the leather but a little before the last inserted bead.
Then thread the last beads and you are where you stopped.

To take a longer thread might even cause a problem.
I noticed, when your beads aren't smooth inside and a little tight, the waxing does only help a limited period of time.
Then you get the tangles too.

Hope I could help you!

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by posha one
Hey AngieBuns, the way I end mine is about the same as WW, run your needle thru about 10/12 beads ONCE YOU COMPLETED YOUR ROW. THEN, thread your needle and start thru about 6/8 beads toward where you left off and yer ready to start putting'um on again. Is this clear to ya?? Give a holler if not.
sort of becoming a bit clearer now,but I still can't seem to figure out what to do BTW beaded on cloth, which was over the feather.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
fancy feather dancer

robby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 94.00
It seems the more beadwork that you work on the more oppurtunities you have to experiment with the different ways to start and finish and continue in-between. The best advice I can give is to keep on beading.
robby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Changing Thread

Here's one method - shown in flat peyote, but works in any type of peyote. The key is to double back on your work a few times and leave the end of the old thread until after you've secured the new thread and added a few more beads to your work before cutting it.

The diagram shows ending, but you start a new thread by doing the same thing across different beads - making sure to come out at the same place you left off.

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

tsa-la-gi will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,732.00
I have tried the "going back through your beads" method but it usually gets kinda tight and I have broken needles and beads this way. I always have some material between what I want to bead on and the beads, some times leather some times self adheasive moleskin (like for blisters). I do the other method mentioned, I sew my thread down into the material to end and begin. Once the beadwork covers this I will never come undone.

MM
Old 05-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Beading to another material surface is a good way to solve the problem, but you may not always want that option... Some projects, such as beaded beads, are a good example.

If you're using some really tiny beads you may need to look into finding a smaller beedling needle... I've broken several too, but if your needle is small enough and the thread you're using can pass through the hole in the bead 3-4 times, you shouldn't have much problem...

Also - check the beads as you string them on the needle... reject the ones that the you have to work the needle to get it through them the first time.... some bead makers do not have a uniform way of making the holes large enough for this sort of work... then you can use some of your rejected beads in simple projects, bead fringe or something that doesn't require lots of threads going back through them...

... when you thread back through the project, you can select different beads to go through if some already have several threads going through them already... I use a different path for the old thread and the new thread so it doesn't bunch up between the beads and it makes it easier to pass the needle through too...

My latest project involves 13/0 beads and I had to do a little planning to allow for the fringe without running into the same problem.... I learned to to peyote with 10/0 and 11/0 beads so I could get the hang of it before going to the smaller beads.

Keep on beadin' ~ would like to see a pic when you're finished.

SD

Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

tsa-la-gi will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,732.00
I have also changed the size of needles and nymo I use and havn't had much probs breaking either, but I was still too scared to try going back through the beads. I do most of my peyote in 13/0 and started using size 16 needles and all has been well.

MM
Old 05-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Sounds like you have the right combination....
For the scary part, try a few practice pieces to get the hang of it

My biggest problem is bending my needles
as long as I can still use them I get as much mileage out of 'em I can get.

Sponsored Links