Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork what should I charge them? what should I charge them?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chemika is on a distinguished road
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 0.00
what should I charge them?

Hi, everyone. I have a question. I have been asked to do the complete beadwork for a fancy shawl outfit, hair ornaments, yolk, moccasins and leggings. What should I charge for this, does it matter if the design is complicated? I do a lot outfits and I am a good beader, but it is so slow and I usually only do it for family members. Help. What would you charge?
Old 07-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
My Business/Marketing instructor taught us that you want to mark up your actual cost by 33% to compensate for your time and expertise regardless the product.
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Teen Dancer

Sewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond repute
Family, is one thing! How well do you know the person? How many hours is it going to take! You have to think about that. Complexity of the design-----yes, that has a lot to do with the price. If you are adding in all the accessories, that is a plus, plus you're a good beader. 33% sounds good, but I would have to ask for something up front to get me started. Plus, are they willing to work out a trade. Is there something that you need? Not trying to sound like I'm greedy, but money and gifts both work for me. Especially gifts, extra beads, needles, FEATHERS, FANS, LEATHER, MOCS, you get my drift.

But your time and expertise is a major on the real! You have to make sure that you are compensated for that alone!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
Downstream People

ogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
ogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 439.14
I asked this same question in the fancy shawl thread about a year ago. You may be able to find it in the archives. People gave me prices for each piece. Also depending on the type of beads used (cut glass) you may want to charge more if you are the one supplying the beads. If they give you the beads to use then take that into account and don't charge quite as much.
ogapahndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
WE ARE MAGNUS THE AMPLE

The Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 737.76
Charge the price of materials + labor (by the hour). Labor not only includes the time you spend beading, but the time you spend designing and planning as well.

Your hourly fee is up to you...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I usually end up charging around $10.00 p/hr. on beadwork & sewing; the price on items goes up when certain materials are more expensive or hard to obtain. The other thing I've done before; is to have the person ordering buy all the materials, so there is no misunderstandings about colors and such. I still charge $10 p/hr. and save alot of time not having to get the supplies to do an item. Just set your price up front; give them an estimate and stick to it, collect half the money up front, especially if you are beading in a person's initials or name on the item. Otherwise; if they decide not to purchase after you have finished the project, you can find another buyer who'd be willing to pay your price.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewickly
Family, is one thing! How well do you know the person? How many hours is it going to take! You have to think about that. Complexity of the design-----yes, that has a lot to do with the price. If you are adding in all the accessories, that is a plus, plus you're a good beader. 33% sounds good, but I would have to ask for something up front to get me started. Plus, are they willing to work out a trade. Is there something that you need? Not trying to sound like I'm greedy, but money and gifts both work for me. Especially gifts, extra beads, needles, FEATHERS, FANS, LEATHER, MOCS, you get my drift.

But your time and expertise is a major on the real! You have to make sure that you are compensated for that alone!
Good point! I forgot the part about a deposit. 50% up front.
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2004, 03:44 AM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of Seattle
My Business/Marketing instructor taught us that you want to mark up your actual cost by 33% to compensate for your time and expertise regardless the product.

That's good advice. I usually take the cost of my materials and mark it up 2x. But then for work that I get asked to do the most I have set prices, like I charge 15.00 to sew a ribbon shirt if you supply everything.

But then there are times that this does'nt work. Such as with barrettes. Maybe the beads if broken down by wieght or number might have cost me.. oh let's say 2.oo. Well times that by 3 and I would have to charge 4 bucks for a barrette that took me 6 hours of labor. Not quite fair a price. So instead I go usually on the size and detail. So most of my barrettes are in the 20-40 dollar price range. And even at those prices, that's not minimum wage per hour... but it was my pleasure to make it! ;)

I can't remember who said it, but whoever said , "figure out what you would charge per piece" gave good advice as well. That will help give you some idea of what to charge overall.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

chemika is on a distinguished road
Credits: 60.00
thanks for that information!!!

You guys are great!!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
Junior Dancer

NDNGurl92782 has a spectacular aura about
It also depends on if it's a child's outfit or an adult. And if they supply materials or how detailed the designs. And when they need the outfit by. Usually most people want u to pay half upfront then the rest when u get done.
NDNGurl92782 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links