Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By subeeds
  • 1 Post By susie77
  • 1 Post By docat
  • 1 Post By subeeds
  • 1 Post By subeeds

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork where can i find supplier of animal bead fetishes,stone and bone where can i find supplier of animal bead fetishes,stone and bone

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
oneokangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 288.67
Savings: 0.00
Smile where can i find supplier of animal bead fetishes,stone and bone

I am new to this website and so happy to be here.i am retired and want to encourage my grandchildren to be creative,hence my request.can anyone here guide me to a supplier of animal fetish beads and native american bead supplies.I am most interested in bone and stone beads and bead fetishes and pendants.thanx in advance.julia
oneokangel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

oneokangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 288.67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneokangel View Post
I am new to this website and so happy to be here.i am retired and want to encourage my grandchildren to be creative,hence my request.can anyone here guide me to a supplier of animal fetish beads and native american bead supplies.I am most interested in bone and stone beads and bead fetishes and pendants.thanx in advance.julia
we are all special in our own right
oneokangel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
CrazyOwlWoman

susie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,187.89
Source for animal beads and supplies

Quote:
Julia, you can find stone and bone fetishes and supplies at Fire Mountain Gems. ( www.firemountaingems.com/default.asp ) They have a pricing structure that gives you a discount if you order more than 200 items, mix or match. But you don't have to do that if you go to jetbeads.com. He has a deal with Firemountain where you order as much or little as you want through him, and you still get the bulk rate discount. I've used their supplies for well over a decade now. Good quality, great customer service. Good luck with passing on your knowledge to your grandkids. This is the part of life I like the best myself, being grandmother. :) If you have any questions my email addy is [email protected]Gmail.com
susie77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 41,237.29
Quote:
I love this shop. http://www.magpiegemstones.com/ She has all kinds of cool stuff and is great in the customer service department, too.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
CrazyOwlWoman

susie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond reputesusie77 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
I love this shop. http://www.magpiegemstones.com/ She has all kinds of cool stuff and is great in the customer service department, too.
I will also vouch for Magpie. Plus, you can sign up for her newsletter and take advantages of lots of sales and specials. Over on Etsy, Spirit Bear Beads ( https://www.etsy.com/shop/spiritbearbeads ) has Zuni bears and other nice things.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
small bead addict

subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie77 View Post
I will also vouch for Magpie. Plus, you can sign up for her newsletter and take advantages of lots of sales and specials. Over on Etsy, Spirit Bear Beads ( https://www.etsy.com/shop/spiritbearbeads ) has Zuni bears and other nice things.
I forgot about Spiritbear. She's also on ArtFire Size 11/0 Czech seed Beads | Spiritbearbeads ArtFire ShopI buy from her there because I was a disobedient seller and got banned from etsy. LOL! (Called them on their hypocrisy one too many times and they shut me down.)
susie77 and docat like this.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
CrazyOwlWoman

Quote:
I forgot about Spiritbear. She's also on ArtFire Size 11/0 Czech seed Beads | Spiritbearbeads ArtFire ShopI buy from her there because I was a disobedient seller and got banned from etsy. LOL! (Called them on their hypocrisy one too many times and they shut me down.)
Oooh, a rebel! I would like to hear this story. :~)
docat likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Oh my, my daughter was thinking of getting into Etsy. What did they do? She is in the stage of checking them out.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #9
small bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post
Oh my, my daughter was thinking of getting into Etsy. What did they do? She is in the stage of checking them out.
Etsy has a really bad habit of managing to screw over their sellers one way or another. It costs .20 to list an item. That listing expires in 4 months, so it has to be renewed for another .20. Plus, when you sell something, they charge a final value fee which used to be 3.5% of the sale price. Add in the percentage PayPal takes and it really cuts into your profit. To top it off, only something like the top 500,000 items come up in search. Considering they have thousands of sellers, including shops selling mass produced stuff, listing tens of thousands of items per day, your newest listing is soon pushed to invisible-unless you pay .20 to renew an item and bump it back to the top for a few minutes.

They regularly violate their own TOUs, their customer service is beyond horrible-they don't even have a phone. Everything is done through email-if you are lucky to get a reply, it will be a basic canned response. They will randomly close shops for some imaginary violation, yet another shop with the same "violation" remains open.

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote about it. Dancing Wind Designs: Coralgate-another major etsy fail Etsy has clear rules about what they call fee avoidance-means you can't link to another site where you sell, or do a sale through email. Since they had violated their own rules, I put the following in my shop announcement. "DancingWindDesigns is closed in protest of the way etsy is handling the coral situation. If you want to find me, just google me". Somebody reported that and etsy removed it. So, I changed it to "Since etsy has seen fit to violate their own TOUs, I feel like doing it too. My shop here is closed. You can find me on ArtFire." It took about a month of me posting in the forums, calling them out on the way they do business and their lack of ethics before somebody who had a very intense loyalty to them, reported me and they muted me and banned me forever. They also give people a time out-mute them-so they can't post in the forums for a while. Most people never have a clue why it happens to them. Most people never know why their shops are shut down. Some get shut down-and banned-simply because their credit card expired and their payment to etsy didn't go through. There are some sellers there who do make excellent money in spite of the fees, but they are few and far between. Etsy also has a bad habit of rolling out changes without working out the glitches first and sellers end up with lost listings, loss of past sale records, customer accounts, etc.. About 5 years ago, they rolled out a bunch of changes, and the whole site was down for the entire holiday selling season.

If your daughter wants to sell there, I suggest she google etsy and baligate (happened after I left, but another debacle)etsy reviews and etsy customer service. If that were the last online selling venue on the internet, I would stop selling online. LOL!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Pronounced like "docket"

docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Etsy has a really bad habit of managing to screw over their sellers one way or another. It costs .20 to list an item. That listing expires in 4 months, so it has to be renewed for another .20. Plus, when you sell something, they charge a final value fee which used to be 3.5% of the sale price. Add in the percentage PayPal takes and it really cuts into your profit. To top it off, only something like the top 500,000 items come up in search. Considering they have thousands of sellers, including shops selling mass produced stuff, listing tens of thousands of items per day, your newest listing is soon pushed to invisible-unless you pay .20 to renew an item and bump it back to the top for a few minutes.
OMG! What a horrible experience. She will not want to do etsy after seeing this!

Where can you go to sell online? Ebay? Their fees are ridiculous too.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
CrazyOwlWoman

Quote:
OMG! What a horrible experience. She will not want to do etsy after seeing this!

She might want to try The Craft Star (https://www.thecraftstar.com/). It's a start-up company, just opened last year, an Etsy competitor. Their fees seem reasonable. I've only sold one item through them so far. OTOH, I only have maybe five listings and don't do any promotion. I'm also on Etsy and have been satisfied enough with it, although my gripe with them is that they do not do enough to police the mass-produced (usually in China) crafts masquerading as hand-made. When you put hours into a beaded piece and list it for $40 (for example), you can't compete against someone selling a similar item for $10. I stopped listing on Ebay for the same reason, plus like you said, their horrible fees. I used to sell my macaws' feathers on Ebay to craftspeople in the SW Pueblos, but Ebay killed that. You know, if the Ebay merchant is willing to accept money orders and personal checks, what business is it of yours and where do you get off making everyone go through PayPal? So Ebay sucks. :(
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
CrazyOwlWoman

Quote:
Etsy has a really bad habit of managing to screw over their sellers one way or another. It costs .20 to list an item. That listing expires in 4 months, so it has to be renewed for another .20.
Wow, sorry you had that experience. Yeah, their fees seem to be getting higher all the time. What do you think of Artfire? I wasn't sure I wanted to be committed to a monthly fee. Do you think it's worth it? How do you promote your shop/items?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie77 View Post
She might want to try The Craft Star (https://www.thecraftstar.com/). It's a start-up company, just opened last year, an Etsy competitor. Their fees seem reasonable. I've only sold one item through them so far. OTOH, I only have maybe five listings and don't do any promotion. I'm also on Etsy and have been satisfied enough with it, although my gripe with them is that they do not do enough to police the mass-produced (usually in China) crafts masquerading as hand-made. When you put hours into a beaded piece and list it for $40 (for example), you can't compete against someone selling a similar item for $10. I stopped listing on Ebay for the same reason, plus like you said, their horrible fees. I used to sell my macaws' feathers on Ebay to craftspeople in the SW Pueblos, but Ebay killed that. You know, if the Ebay merchant is willing to accept money orders and personal checks, what business is it of yours and where do you get off making everyone go through PayPal? So Ebay sucks. :(

This info helps a lot. Ebay is ridiculous. She was just researching etsy. I will give her this other website.

Thanks!!
susie77 likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
small bead addict

Quote:

I sell on ArtFire. I've been there since they were in beta-about 2008-2009. I love the fact that there is only the monthly fee, you can customize your shop, they give you great selling tools and there are Help Guides to assist you in learning the site. The forums are also full of helpful people. ArtFire teaches you how to get the buyers to your shop-unlike etsy where most of the traffic to shops is from other esty people. Selling there is a whole different ball game than selling on etsy. I also like the fact that before changes are made, the COO brings it to the forums for a discussion. Since you can't please everybody all the time, this sometimes results in people getting ticked off, but at least they know what is going on-again unlike etsy. They don't close shops, either. LOL! They keep ahead of what google is doing and let sellers know of changes coming up. Recently, google started doing something with item images regarding search, and sellers were advised to add captions to their photos. There is a place in your shop where you can see the latest incoming URLs for your shop and see how people are finding you. Since I added captions, I am getting a lot of hits on my photos. They also don't require buyers to register to shop there-unlike most other selling venues. This has brought many sales to people selling there. This copy and paste is from their FAQs-"

Our Pro account is a great deal at the normal price of US US $20.00 a month but right now, for just US US $12.95 a month, you can have access to great features such as the Facebook Kiosk, coupon codes and gift certificates, Global Product Editor, craft guilds, artifact recognition awards, increased search exposure, and more!
Not only do you get all of those features, but we spend money to advertise this site to buyers. How much? Our typical monthly advertising goal is to reach 100 million impressions in 30 days!

In addition, there are no listing fees or commissions charged to you. You can list as much as you want for just US $12.95 a month.::

I don't do as much promoting as I could/should, but I have an RSS feed set up so that when I list something new, it goes to my business Twitter account and I post it on both my FB pages.They also have their version of treasuries called Collections. I am also found through Google Base and other incoming links.

I get a sale about every 6 weeks or so, and I'm content with that. I also have a locked in rate that is about half of the current going rate. A lot of people do-it was offered after they came out of beta-and to those of us who had been there through a lot of trial and error with them. If you can afford $13 a month for about a year, I would highly suggest giving AF a try. I say a year, because it takes a while to get established. People open a shop there (anywhere for that matter) and just expect the sales to happen magically. There are also numerous threads on etsy about how awful AF is. Most of these people did one of 2 things-opened a shop and did nothing with it or got ticked off when they didn't get their way about something and left. Some of them even started awful rumors about the place. At least etsy closed those threads.

I know I sound like a cheerleader for the place,in fact, I am what is known as a Mentor there (helping newbies in the forums) but I am happy selling there. I've seen etsy do so many people like dirt, and I know that won't happen on AF. I usually have a sale about every 6 weeks and I'm good with that with the promoting I do. There are a lot of sellers there who have one or more sales everyday. It depends on what you sell and how you sell it.
docat likes this.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
Pronounced like "docket"

@subeeds , will definitely look into ArtFire. Thanks for your help. She wants to sell some of her work, and Ebay is not the place. Etsy sounds like a rip off. I hope this one will work out for her, THANKS!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
small bead addict

Quote:
@subeeds , will definitely look into ArtFire. Thanks for your help. She wants to sell some of her work, and Ebay is not the place. Etsy sounds like a rip off. I hope this one will work out for her, THANKS!
You are most welcome. One other thing-well, a few other things. Her items need to be well photographed-AF lets you have up to 10 photos. 2.They say you need around 100 items for your shop to really hit in the search engines. If she is just getting started, I would suggest she try and list at least 50 items-not at once, but a few daily, and work up to as many as possible. 3. Descriptions-google likes descriptions to be around 250 words. It's not easy, but once you do a few, it gets easier. 4. Title- Using one of my brooches for example,don't write a fancy, "romantic" title like "My Heart Belongs to You". People don't search like that. The title is
Genuine Ruby and Garnet Bead Embroidered Heart Brooch". Google loves it. LOL!

If I can help any more now,or if she decides to set up a shop there, just let me know.
docat likes this.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #17
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
You are most welcome. One other thing-well, a few other things. Her items need to be well photographed-AF lets you have up to 10 photos. 2.They say you need around 100 items for your shop to really hit in the search engines. If she is just getting started, I would suggest she try and list at least 50 items-not at once, but a few daily, and work up to as many as possible. 3. Descriptions-google likes descriptions to be around 250 words. It's not easy, but once you do a few, it gets easier. 4. Title- Using one of my brooches for example,don't write a fancy, "romantic" title like "My Heart Belongs to You". People don't search like that. The title is
Genuine Ruby and Garnet Bead Embroidered Heart Brooch". Google loves it. LOL!

If I can help any more now,or if she decides to set up a shop there, just let me know.

Thanks!! I will pass these tips along. She has a lot to sell too. Unlike me, she will part with things. I figured whatever I have made will be my kids' inheritance. Those are really good tips too. I wouldn't have thought the number of words in a description would matter. That's really good info! Thanks!
Sponsored Links