Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree22Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork where do you get your inspiration to bead? where do you get your inspiration to bead?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Savings: 0.00
If you have verification from people who knew the artist and the name of the artist and such, it is likely just as they say, Zuni.

Be sure to keep all that info too. It may help.

I have been corresponding with an artist who has helped me with my own beading in the bias stitch. There are many processes that go into some beading styles, it sometimes helps to have a beading buddy.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post
Whomever made the vertebrae piece, it is inspiring!

It is difficult to get provenance from a garage sale, not even many auction houses have accurate provenance listed for their items. That's why I like beading into my work the secret elements, those things that say Doc-at made this piece.

You can do that too, Muscrat. Maybe put in your freeform beading an element that only you do a certain way in your work.
Yes, I would like to do that. Since most people around here in southeast georgia are cherokee, I took it to them, right up the road, during the powwow, and talked with all the vendors and other people, and that is how I found out who made it, they were supposed to email me a picture of the woman who made it, who they had to work hard to persuade to let them take a picture.

I have more pics if you want to see how it is made. It is linen, slid through the hole of the vertebrae and joined in the front so no seams showing. I think she may have even wet the fabric and let it dry around the bone because it is very snug.

I would like to do something to the bone, it is really drying out. Is there something you could recommend?

I like the bone beads! Just some people get all dark and off kilter with their bone collections. I think that was what grandma was saying, you know, to put the creature to rest, and stay in the light. That bones are special. They dried on the radiator. My aunt and I used to play with them at grandmas feet and we used them like action figures. We always fought over the muskrat skull, you either got that or the paw, but she wouldn't let us keep them ever. That is why muskrat skull. The bones went to grandma.

My boyfriend box traps and sells raccoons around the holidays and we just bury the little guys bones. I spring em when I can! They are so cute. I am lucky I have a friend who does the bones and makes beads, so i can get them from him. He gets them from roadkill mostly.
docat likes this.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Pronounced like "docket"

docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat_skull View Post
I have more pics if you want to see how it is made. It is linen, slid through the hole of the vertebrae and joined in the front so no seams showing. I think she may have even wet the fabric and let it dry around the bone because it is very snug.
Oh I would LOVE to see more pics.

I have often thought of getting materials for my handicrafts from roadkill that hasn't gone too far bad. I heard from someone, that you have to clear picking stuff up with authorities and such. And I'd only want to pick up something really fresh.

I read a story about a college student in St. Louis that would go along the roads and find roadkill and put baby clothes on dead raccoons and such and leave them on the side of the road. Talk about creepy. People would think there is a dead infant on the road. Probably caused accidents.

She called it art. But the authorities made her stop. I saw pix of her "creations." Flies buzzing and eyes almost gone and sporting a baby pink sweater.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #24
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Quote:
Hi there,

I hope what I said didn't come out as a negative toward non-natives. When I re-read what I wrote, it didn't come out quite as I meant.

Beading for your children or people you know is different than beading for the public whether you are native or non-native. What I mean is that whomever you bead for, you remember the rules...whether from the elders or (in my case) from your respect for the person who first created the design.

I love love love old designs, but I think personally that it isn't fair to the one who created the design (no matter if she lived 150 yrs ago) to recreate the piece bead for bead. And that's just me and my ethics, not from the elders. And changing the colors in your case is also changing the design, but if I really like a design, I might also put more rows of space between elements or fewer or add a little something Docat-ish.

I think that beadworkers should have their own style too. It would be epic to me if an expert from the future would look at a piece I beaded 50 years from now to say, "oh, this is a Doc-at piece. You can tell it from x, y and z."

So I always put in secret elements...there are unlimited ways you can do this...you can do it with a different shaped bead or a single bead in a slightly different color or an element that you use. You could do it with how you tie something or how you finish a piece off. It could be using a special dye in your warp threads. Just be consistant in the secret elements you use. I don't mean by beading your initials in it, something that is obvious only to you and those in the know.

And in case that doesn't work, taking pix of whatever work you do helps document your work. My problem is I don't like to sell anything. I'm really bad about turning lose. I love to give them away as gifts, and sometimes I have been asked to bead for someone, and I've done that, but taking money for it is something hard for me, and I don't know why. I am much better with trading over selling. Likely my kids will figure out what to do with it all after I'm gone.
Hi docat,
actually I didn't think your post as negative towards non-natives.
I fully understood what you meant and I share your respect and admiration for those old designs and those old beaded pieces.
And every time I look at pics of antique beadwork (and of course alot contemporary too) I recognize that I may know a lot but I still have a lot to learn......
As for "beadworkers should have their own style" - that's what I try to do with the colors mostly.
docat likes this.

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina View Post
Hi docat,
actually I didn't think your post as negative towards non-natives.
I fully understood what you meant and I share your respect and admiration for those old designs and those old beaded pieces.
And every time I look at pics of antique beadwork (and of course alot contemporary too) I recognize that I may know a lot but I still have a lot to learn......
As for "beadworkers should have their own style" - that's what I try to do with the colors mostly.
Oh, I write too fast sometimes and should proofread better, but I'm glad you understood my gist.

I think color is a great way to show your personal style. If you are distinctive in your choices, it will always speak when you aren't there to speak for it...and that is "I am a Selina piece."

It is interesting that even like a hundred years ago, there was a lot of sharing of beadwork designs between some nations. Even so, experts can go in and say, this one is Ho-Chunk and this one is Menominee and so forth--even with similar or the same pattern! In some cases, they know the beadwork elements so precisely that they can pinpoint the actual beadworker as well.

I love thinking about how this work is so timeless, that long after we are gone, the beadwork speaks.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #26
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,965.56
Quote:
Why? I don't know about style or anything. What do you think it is?

I have the name of the person who supposedly made this one and several others, they were sold as a group for sale back here at a powwow. I guess the people could be lying, but I don't see why. Several people from the tribe verified the story. She made up a bunch supposedly. It'd probably be from the 1980s or so per their story.
pueblos dont do much beadwork......nor do we place heavy emphasis on bones (buffalo skulls and such) like plains tribes........i cant tell you what that is......but i can tell you what its NOT....maybe it was made by some pueblo to sell at a powwow..who knows.....but its definately NOT an kind of pueblo type thing as much as it probably is an individual type of thing
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Senior Dancer

muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
pueblos dont do much beadwork......nor do we place heavy emphasis on bones (buffalo skulls and such) like plains tribes........i cant tell you what that is......but i can tell you what its NOT....maybe it was made by some pueblo to sell at a powwow..who knows.....but its definately NOT an kind of pueblo type thing as much as it probably is an individual type of thing
Thanks, milehighsalute.
I initially thought it was more of a woodland dwelling thing, you know a deer head on a deer vertebra. I figured maybe it was Cherokee. The people did seem to surprised to see me with it and to recognize it but not theirs they say. it is a scarf slide maybe, she said bolo, but I cant think that linen would hold up to leather. Also, she said that though the bone was deer, the image beaded was a buffalo. Like you say, maybe something made for another powwow or group of people. Maybe I got a nice story, I don't know. I thought it went on a pipestem or something.
docat likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
Thanks, milehighsalute.
I initially thought it was more of a woodland dwelling thing, you know a deer head on a deer vertebra. I figured maybe it was Cherokee. The people did seem to surprised to see me with it and to recognize it but not theirs they say. it is a scarf slide maybe, she said bolo, but I cant think that linen would hold up to leather. Also, she said that though the bone was deer, the image beaded was a buffalo. Like you say, maybe something made for another powwow or group of people. Maybe I got a nice story, I don't know. I thought it went on a pipestem or something.
Muskrat_skull, I thought of something you could try. Both Skinner's and Cowan's auction houses sell Native older items and give FREE appraisals if you send them pix of your item. Of course they want to list it for sale, but you don't have to do that. But they have experts on there that might give you a good opinion on it. I sure LOVE that piece. I think it is special. All you'd have to do is send in pix via the internet.

On an aside, I LOVE your men jokes. I hadn't heard most of them. I needed that today. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Muskrat_skull, I thought of something you could try. Both Skinner's and Cowan's auction houses sell Native older items and give FREE appraisals if you send them pix of your item. Of course they want to list it for sale, but you don't have to do that. But they have experts on there that might give you a good opinion on it. I sure LOVE that piece. I think it is special. All you'd have to do is send in pix via the internet.

On an aside, I LOVE your men jokes. I hadn't heard most of them. I needed that today. Thanks!
I'm glad you enjoyed them. I don't want to offend anyone, they're just in good fun. Usually some of the men come back with some good ones and some of the ladies.

thanks for the auction idea. I will have to try to get my guy to save some bones next time he skins a deer. This was such a weird season with it being so warm and all.
docat likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoyed them. I don't want to offend anyone, they're just in good fun. Usually some of the men come back with some good ones and some of the ladies.

thanks for the auction idea. I will have to try to get my guy to save some bones next time he skins a deer. This was such a weird season with it being so warm and all.
It was a weird year for deer hunting. It was like the rut timing was off and heat spooked them all and scattered them last season. My son in law was complaining.

I think everyone will like the jokes. The men sure have plenty for us...which makes me also glad I am not a blonde. LOL

As for the auction house, I have a mystery piece that I'm thinking of sending in. It is not a cool piece like yours, but I will see what they say...since it is free. I'm almost thinking of sending a second piece of something I know the origin of, just to see how accurate they are.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #31
Senior Dancer

Quote:
It was a weird year for deer hunting. It was like the rut timing was off and heat spooked them all and scattered them last season. My son in law was complaining.

I think everyone will like the jokes. The men sure have plenty for us...which makes me also glad I am not a blonde. LOL

As for the auction house, I have a mystery piece that I'm thinking of sending in. It is not a cool piece like yours, but I will see what they say...since it is free. I'm almost thinking of sending a second piece of something I know the origin of, just to see how accurate they are.
Yeah, it was bad deer season for us. I bet up north was bad since they had it warm for so long too. Its a bad snake year since it'll be cold and then really warm and they come out to bask. Normally we dont have to worry about them as much this time of year. My old man is always saying, be careful today, it got real warm and was real cold last night. We have some snakes, huh?

I made some lizard beaded earrings I don't know if I'm happy with them. They started out as turtles but didn't look so much like them so they got to be lizards.
docat likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #32
Senior Dancer

@docat I thought you might like to look at these. They may not be traditional, but they are really neat. Some of the carvings and fetishes here are nice.

http://www.sedonawolf.com/crnmaid3-2/zunibead/
docat likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #33
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
@docat I thought you might like to look at these. They may not be traditional, but they are really neat. Some of the carvings and fetishes here are nice.

http://www.sedonawolf.com/crnmaid3-2/zunibead/
There IS Zuni beadwork!!!! I love the Zuni ladies! Oh all her work is so cool. She looks so sweet while she's beading too. Oh so sad she is gone.

I am going to book mark that page.

Do you think she has beaded your piece?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
I made some lizard beaded earrings I don't know if I'm happy with them. They started out as turtles but didn't look so much like them so they got to be lizards.
Lizards are cool! A lot of times I change plans mid-piece too. :)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
Senior Dancer

Quote:
There IS Zuni beadwork!!!! I love the Zuni ladies! Oh all her work is so cool. She looks so sweet while she's beading too. Oh so sad she is gone.

I am going to book mark that page.

Do you think she has beaded your piece?
No, its not the same name, I can pm you the name if you are interested. Supposedly she has a daughter, though she was very old when they got it from her.

I thought those dolls were so neat and what a challenge to do! There's some Kachina ones that are really neat in Google search.
docat likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #36
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
No, its not the same name, I can pm you the name if you are interested. Supposedly she has a daughter, though she was very old when they got it from her.

I thought those dolls were so neat and what a challenge to do! There's some Kachina ones that are really neat in Google search.
That has to be so difficult to do that peyote stitch in such perfection. I love the back, seeing the hair. I love those dolls.

Well it shows there is some really nice Zuni beadwork out there. It's awesome.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 AM   #37
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,290.91
Since I'm not well connected to my tribal community, I tend to take inspiration from the land around me: from plants, from animals, from landmarks. Sometimes I put words in. Sometimes its dual-spirals or patterns from baskets. Here's one I did for my sis that looks similar to the local "Adena" earthwork called the "Great Serpent Mound". I did it in her favorite colors with silver to compliment it. The edge stitching didn't come out as well as hoped but I may be able to fix it before her birthday.

Sponsored Links