Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who were you taught by to bead?
taught by a family member 77 41.85%
taught by a friend 31 16.85%
self-taught 76 41.30%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork who were u taught by to bead? who were u taught by to bead?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2003, 12:10 AM   #21
Super Troop

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 372.82
Savings: 0.00
thanks OLchemist, as a matter of fact i did notice that when i got some beads from a craftstore that are sold in tubes, and i noticed that this hole was larger than the other hole, and i was like, "what the....." but again i just want to use something cheap just to learn the basics, when i get down and dirty in beading then i want to use the best products of course. it will be quite a journey. but i am so up for it.
chirapachegurl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 09:03 AM   #22
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,217.08
I understand about the cost. If you want save money, run the other direction, now. *wink* My last bead order was $$$! I am tempted to list my bead supplier as a dependent on my 1040, LOL.

Those beads with the large holes are probably Japanese Miyuki or Toho delicias. They have huge holes for their size. I've mixed Miyuki 15/0's with Czech 13/0 cuts -- they're about the same size -- in appliqu when I have absolutely needed a particular color. But I found it was hard to get them as tight. I hate it when my beadwork isn't hard and the beads feel like they're rolling around.

A bunch of the Miyuki and Toho colors are dyed and therefore aren't particularly colorfast. Indeed, some can lose their color while you work on them and/or fade in the sun. You might break one in half and see if it is the same color all the way through, or give one a swipe with a q-tip dipped in acetone and see if it stains the swab. If so, you need to be cautious. I have a friend who used them in "art" pieces; she washes her hands with a gentle soap like Ivory to remove excess skin oils and salts before handling, which she finds helps with the fading.

Anyway, good luck:) Keep us posted.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 03:46 PM   #23
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally posted by OLChemist
I understand about the cost. If you want save money, run the other direction, now. *wink* My last bead order was $$$! I am tempted to list my bead supplier as a dependent on my 1040, LOL.
No kidding!!!!!!!! Everytime I order beads my wife is like you spent WHAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No kidding, EVERY order I have placed since I started has been over $100. [email protected] I need to learn how to make my own beads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Cry

Hey there's an idea for a new thread!!!!!! Anyone know how to make beads???????????:D :D :D

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 08:38 PM   #24
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
that would be a very interesting thread to start, and i was wondering today when i was observing the beads as to how they are made, and how can so many of them be made, and imagine in the factory where every corner, and cranny must be covered with beads, rolling around the floor constantly. lol wow, money money money, how would we be living like had europeans never settled in this country, and how pure it would be, and would we even be using minted currency? our ppl seemed to be living in peace without it for so many years. i still need to get on how to make them tight, so that they don't get that rolling feel to them, like how OLchemist mentioned. as if they are glued and stuck to the fabric. it's funny how some women get scolded by their spouses on spending a lot of money on shoes, and spottedeagle is getting scolded at spending money on beads. :Chatter well at least they're put to a good use.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #25
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,217.08
Actually, I know how they used to be made, prior to mechanization. A small bubble of molten glass was formed on the end of the blow pipe. A punty was attached to help pull the bubble into a tube, which was shaped and thinned to form long narrow hollow canes. The annealed and cooled canes were cut into small lengths. These were polished in rolling casks of hot grit. Successively finer grits were used to produce a fine polish and the rounded shape. (This grit is what you find plugging the holes of bead than haven't been strung.)

I suspect the mechanized method is similar but uses an extruder to form the canes, and a diamond fan cutter to slice the beads.

Interestingly the European glass industry has its roots in Egyptian pottery. The Egyptians had a clay body which developed crusts of mineral salts as it dried, salts that had had a strong fluxing effect on the silicates in the clay making a glaze. These fluxes were essential to melting sand at the lower temperatures obtainable from charcoal and coal. Lead oxides -- powerful fluxing agents -- were common ingredients in old beads (as was uranium).
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 12:35 AM   #26
Super Troop

wow, like they say, u learn something new everyday. in my case it's lots of new things everyday. lol and i'm enjoying every bit of it.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

willowms is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Beadwork:

:Chatter He' everyone, I know I am new here, but I need to get a project done and do not have the time to do the bead work my self. Any one know where I can buy it already to sew on. The answer for me to whom did I learn to bead from: I am self teaching! Willow
Old 01-15-2004, 10:03 PM   #28
THE ULTIMATE MULTITASKER

oOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 320.00
One day my cousin was showing me her beadwork off her fancy shawl outfit...and i was just examining it, and i just pictured how she did it...and i just taught my self from there...and i learned loom work from my art class in high school, so now i have like 3 different sized looms, and my sis taught me how to peyote stitch!
oOoSouthernStyozoOo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #29
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
that's kinda how I learned to do applique beadwork... I was taught by mom a few basic embroidery stitches and thought.. hey that would work with beads would'nt it? and tried it out from there.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:08 AM   #30
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Growing up I never had the time to learn how to bead and my mom never did beadwork. Later, I wanted to learn and watched my older sister, she taught me how to do applique beadwork with 2 needles and helped me. Then I taught myself how to do lazystitch. I've completed numerous outfits and currently I am beading an outfit for my granddaughter and when she gets a lil older she will have a complete beaded buckskin outfit.

Good luck with all your beading endeavors! Sometimes it seems like a project will never get finished but your patience and skill all make it worth it especially to see someone wearing an outfit that you have made or even yourself getting to wear your own beadwork. :)
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #31
Super Troop

Is the internet the only place where one is able to buy beads?? The shipping and handling and tax fees can really add up, and I let the powwow pass me by and I didn't buy any beads.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #32
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting thread. Anyone here learn to bead from their own folks. My gandmother and greatgrand mother were beadworkers. My Great grand mother lived to 98 and died in 1976. born down south near Manitou, OK. They just always did bead work and sewed shirts and the like,all the time for lots of tribes. I did not have any sisters so when I was little late at night at my grandmothers all the women would be beading. They would sit by grandma's one old propane stove. I was way younger than my brothers and so my aunts would talk and talk and sew and they would give me something to do to keep me busy. My uncles all made church stuff,... gourds, staffs and fans so I learned to gourd stitch or string mescals or the like. I never learned lazy stitch or applique. I wish I had paid more attention. I danced the bottoms out of the The last shoes my grandma made for me a long time ago. they are all sinew sewn and I don't know how to fix them. I have to go out to El Reno and get my Cheyenne relations to put them back together.
You can buy beads at lots of catalogs, Crazy Crow, etc.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

Thomas S. Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 300.00
Attendance at the University of Hard Knocks.
Thomas S. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #34
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally posted by chirapachegurl
Is the internet the only place where one is able to buy beads?? The shipping and handling and tax fees can really add up, and I let the powwow pass me by and I didn't buy any beads.
where you at? Did you try looking in the yellow pages for beads and see what is there? Walmart sells beads (taiwan, big and irregular, but decent enough applique and earrings) and so does Michaels' craft stores... if you are in Arizona.. man that Big BEAD Show is headed your way here anytime now.. what's it called... Quartzite? or Quartzite is where they are having it.. Anyhow... you might have to know some business owners to get in.. not sure..but that's like the biggest bead show and it's all wholesale and better.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #35
Super Troop

as a matter of fact right now i am in the midwest and i will be leaving to the air force and i want to ask to be stationed in arizona, by tuscon. so hopefully i will be there, who knows though.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 PM   #36
Pow Wow Visitor

tuscaroragal is an unknown quantity at this point
beads

I usually buy beads when the big powwows come into town, namely, the March powwow in Denver. It is really the best time to find beads without having to go on Ebay. I have a difficult time buying beads on Ebay just because the small amounts they sell aren't great for big projects. We are fortunate that we have lots of bead shops in the Denver area to choose from...it's just a matter of find what beads you prefer.
tuscaroragal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2004, 07:00 PM   #37
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
wow..this topic sure took a turn! now we are talkin about buying beads....good topic...and if you have a problem finding beads try www.shipwreckbeads.com ...BUY BEADS NOT SHIPPING! Orders over $50 receive FREE SHIPPING on the first 10 lbs.

I know keeping ur self stocked with beads for every project can be expensive!!

BEAD ON!

:p

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #38
Teen GurlZ

lil_powwow_hunnie will become famous soon enough
I was taught by mah mum :D

~*LiL MizZ JiNgLe StyLeZ*~

JUSS SING ME A REAL SUHWEET ROUNDANCE SONG & IM URZ 4EVA BABE
:24:
lil_powwow_hunnie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #39
Junior Dancer

hutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 283.11
Let's see as for me...I got started just stringing beads together. My mom used to make those fringe earrings, and she showed me how to string em together. Then later on in my childhood I went to a camp and started making some crazy chains, that ended up as earrings that a lot of the girls liked. Further down the line I forgot how to bead because of other things in my life. I got started again when my friend was getting married and her family asked if I could help make some mini keychains, for thank-you gifts. My cousins wife showed me how she made barrettes and some of her kids' regalia. That helped me out a lot. From then on I've been coming into these posts and getting some extra help. So I guess you'd say that I learned from friends, family, along with trial & error.
hutsibah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #40
Band Manager

Miss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond repute
I watched my mom bead once before her althritis went to her hands.

From there.. I sorta taught myself. She gave me a few tips and I was on my merry way. My beadwork has improved sooo much. No more loose beads. :Chatter I'm so proud.

:D