Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who were you taught by to bead?
taught by a family member 77 41.85%
taught by a friend 31 16.85%
self-taught 76 41.30%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork who were u taught by to bead? who were u taught by to bead?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #41
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
My mom still beads on occasion, but she's more of a seamstress... I like both but I'm way better at beading than i am sewing.. my mom can get those nice professional finish looking seams and stuff..I'm still raw.. I should go take a class, i'm a self taught sewer....
Old 04-20-2004, 05:42 AM   #42
bemadazawin

oldstylegrass is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
nobody sniff sniff

i taught myself however my mom was superb i used to watch her bead all the time and dont know how many times i knocked over the beads and had to pick them up from the rug .....she had an exhibit at the canadian national exibition in toronto and seemed silly just sitting there beading but all the tourists ate it up ohhhhh ahhhhhhhhhh kinda stuff id laff with my moms these people are hard up for entertainment huh lol but my moms eyes got bad and she quit and never got a chance to teach me how ...so i learned on my own taught myself imagined it in my head and did it
Old 04-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #43
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
you might not know it, but you learned some of the basics from watching her i'd bet!! Sometimes we forget what we paid close attention to as kids and later on, we wonder how we knew that... LOL!!
boy that must have been fun doing that show! I love doing that. I'm a vendor totally. I love working a table at a public event.. taht's why I used to do state fair. i don't get tired of it at all... and even better if you make money LOL!!
did you happen to see the beading across the borders exhibit? I'm not sure if that's the exact name of it or not, but it was mostly iroquoian beadwork. Absolutely gorgeous, and I figured out why these people just watch in awe at someone doing beadwork. If the can't do it themselves it fascinates them to see someone making it look so easy. I can do beadwork and I still like watching women older than me sitting there doing what they do.. it's almost mesmerizing cause they do make it look like no effort at all and they know exactly where everything is supposed to be or at least look like they know... too cool!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:24 PM   #44
Experienced Dancer

acgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
I pretty much taught myself to bead. I used to watch my adopted Kiowa mom bead and just began figuring out how to do it. Now though, I try to teach my kids how to bead on a regular basis. My oldest daughter whom will be 13 can bead pretty well. She is getting the urge to start beading her own stuff but I think I may supervise a little. :p She is a great artist and I sometimes have to go to her for some advise. Strange how your kids can offer some support!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:28 PM   #45
hidatsawmn26

it was a mix fer me between my great granny,my gramps and my ma...-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2004, 06:05 PM   #46
Day Dreamer all the Way

cree_raven_redsky is a jewel in the rough
I learned alot through watching my Kookum (grandma) for those who dont know cree lol :P all the time i would visit she would be making something new and i would watch in amazement and in awe she did the most beautiful work that i have seen. Unfortunately i could not ask her to teach me because before i got a chance to ask she was gone. she passed away on june 25 1994. I was sooo heart broken and i thought i lost alot of teachings and experience but as time went on my uncle the younger son of my grandparents was taught by her when he was a young lad, He wanted to play outside with the others but was asked to stay and bead when i found this out i asked if i can watch the ways of the elders in his work and he complied with a surprised yes. From then on i have watched and mimicked the skills of my family and grandparents through the lives of their children.... :D

cree_raven_redsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2004, 09:54 AM   #47
dancer

saponitainomom is an unknown quantity at this point
My brothers and I were taught to bead by Patricia Richardson and Arnold Richardson when we were young. I am the only one still beading and I still look at Patricia for guidance in beading. Thanks Ms. Pat.
saponitainomom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #48
danceuntilyoudrop

lovestodance is on a distinguished road
Cool

just a little bit of info ...its not all that easy to just "pick-up" and bead...for the longest time i used some bead graph paper for the designs...now...maybe once in a blue moon...its a good starting technique recommend using....i learned how to sew from my grandmother(she is czech{which make the best beads!!!!!})but all that watching her to sew helped out alot!!! then you know how to knot ,thread,etc......now the beading was self taught...i guess...its just natural...its weird...but its hard to describe....i STILL have alot to learn, but dont we all. Ask elders..dancers...crafters...they might lead you in the right direction.....try not to use any old bead, use uniform,nice beads or you will get discouraged from the look of the inexpensive beads!!!I'm done...........or am I?????!! :coffee!:
lovestodance is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #49
Notoriou'sly'

La + * Mom is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 180.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
My Grandmother (the one that recently passed) and my aunt Alecia got me started and taught me about a 1/4 of what i know, and the rest was self taught or shown by others. Well a good 50% is self taught I would have to say. I jsut understand beading manuals well I guess, and I can pick something up and learn how they did it by looking at it.
ditto....
My grandmother was in a bad car accident many years ago and was in the hospital for like 6 months...sat w/her everyday and learned to bead...I've lost alot of some necklace stitches that she taught me but I've been beading so long now, I have 2 fingers that are hard tipped calouses [sp]! Does anyone else get 'brain dead' on designs once in a while? I really have to take a couple of weeks off when that happens!.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:02 AM   #50
that one powwow girl

shawlsweetie32 is an unknown quantity at this point
My auntie taught me how to bead
shawlsweetie32 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2004, 10:51 PM   #51
Southern Cheyennes of O.K

SaltRiver Cheyennes is on a distinguished road
Credits: 230.00
I learned to bead from recently from my wife . Loom first than the lane stitch . Waiting right now to do the peyote stitch.
SaltRiver Cheyennes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #52
Tiny Tot Dancer

rechindatotubbi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

I had taught myself how to bead. The one person in my family that could bead had passed away along time ago. So I sat down and looked at the beadwork he had made for me to dance in. And then I tried and tried to do something like that until I figured out how to do it. Now I love beading. And even though my uncle passed away I feel like I have something in common with him and that makes me feel good.
rechindatotubbi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #53
Pow Wow Visitor

Lone Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
For me it depends on what style of beadwork you are talking about. 30 years ago I just sat down with some of the beading books of the time and taught myself how to convenetional loom and applique. About 20 years ago a friend showed me the Peyote method. About 15 years ago John Lotter and Ken Larson taught me to Heddle Loom and about 4 years ago a friend showed me an off loom Comanche way.
Lone Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #54
Tiny Tot Dancer

myrnie1209 is on a distinguished road
Ive been kinda learning as you go. Im learning to use too much tension. I've been trying to learn. Ive got to get it where things dont fall apart. wrong thread, no wax, not knotting properly. But I'm learning from my mistakes. I'm learning to not worry if its perfect. I try to hard and Im making this a hobby that I can pass down. It would be more fun if i I had a family member to do this with.
myrnie1209 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2004, 04:21 PM   #55
Pow Wow Visitor

Choctaw44 has a spectacular aura about
Some things I learned on my own, but here we have a really wonderful Choctaw Culture program which sets up workshops for anyone interested to come and learn beadwork, making choctaw clothes, etc. and I've attended and learned how the basics and went from there. And if you have any problems, they are always willing to help out. Which is great for me because I really don't have anyone in my immediate family who I can turn to for help.
Choctaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2004, 03:20 PM   #56
Teen Dancer

fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Beads ahhh

well,
I learned to bead a couple of years ago. There was this bead kit thing My sister had, so i took it and startedbeading with it. I never really looked at the instructions, so you could say I was self taught. I had lots of later on. I took it to a freind of mine. You should have seen the look on her face when she saw how I did it! UI was using a small tiny needle, that only three to five beads would fit on it. I was doing a mizture of lazy stich and three beaded. It was a pretty lumpy looking funny piece I did. She gave me some suggestions that helped, and another person also showed me a different way. I watched someones wife bead part of his regalia for him and also him beading it. Now I have a style I use that is part of all of them. I have also my fair share of dropped cans of beads, etc. There was this lady once, and she had a can of beads in her jacket pocket, and so she threw it on a chair in a hurry to do something, and can broke and somehow all the beads ended up on the floor. It was in a hall so the beads were every where. I also Laugh because I have a hardwood floor also, and the work of cleaning up beads after you knock them over is quite the task. I am alsways finding beads when I sweep the floors! Ah the joy of beading. Now I buy stringed beads. (hanks) They are easier to use. I aslo bead in front if the TV. it is realaxing for me to do. Anyways, Have a good day everyone!
Meegwitch,
Jessica
fancy_shawls_225 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #57
*PEACE OUT*

kruzly is on a distinguished road
My mother and grandma taught me how to bead, and I learned how to sew on my own. Now I have my boyfriend beading and sewing too. It's great because I can start a project and ask him to help finish it.
kruzly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #58
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
my gramma and my mum taught me how to bead the basics. I'm still crap at it, but that's because I rarely ever do it.
I'm waay better at quillwork for some reason. my mom says its because i'm naturally prickly, and the quills and I have something in common. go figure. great words of wisdom from my mom

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #59
naturally noble

nimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond reputenimkiikwe_49 has a reputation beyond repute
I taught myself how to bead, but as i started i was influenced by friends and what they did and how they did it... so i started out just bymyself... and now today my beading is a mix of my friends styles, always learning new ways and adjusting to differnt color schemes.

all's fair in love and pow wow.... see ya around
nimkiikwe_49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #60
ElleC

Panther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond reputePanther11Gurl has a reputation beyond repute
My mom did some good bead work, she taught my brother but she wouldn't teach me so I had to teach myself. I don't think my mother liked me very much she disowned me about ten years ago. I don't care that she didn't teach me,but my grandma supported me all the way, which is whY i am beading her an outfit.
Panther11Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links