Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who were you taught by to bead?
taught by a family member 77 41.85%
taught by a friend 31 16.85%
self-taught 76 41.30%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork who were u taught by to bead? who were u taught by to bead?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 AM   #61
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Savings: 1.00
I learned to bead on my own as a child. My mother and grandmother had some beadwork, but they didn't do any of they own work. I was so fascinated with beading and designed several original projects before mom bought me my first loom.

My favorite places to get beads are the Tavawamosee Trading Post (sp?) in Arizona and the Bead Shop in Long Beach, Washington (Rainbow Beads on the internet - http://www.rainbowbeads.com/). I have several other local sources of good quality beads and also buy at pow wows if I have the money. With all the zillions of beads in my "collection" I really don't think I need any more, but the next pow wow is just around the corner and I'll be checking out the suppliers LOL.

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Last edited by SingingDeer; 05-11-2005 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: link didn't copy correctly
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #62
Traditional Dancer

Cutbead Queen is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
When I was a little girl about 5 or so I used to go with my gramma to something called "Arts and Crafts" at the community hall. My grandma would help others out with various projects. I eventually was taught by her and several other female relatives, I come from a long line of beadworkers and enjoy working the old patterns and coming up with new ones. I'm proud to say that I've been beading for over 30 years and find that it gives me some sort of peace. The funny thing is what my mother says when she looks at certian pieces of my work she says I must have been mentally ill to produce such a thing. Sometimes I feel like it. If I was related to Van Gogh I would have surely cut my ear off by now. I get alot of pleasure in completing projects that are extemely detailed and the smaller the bead the better. My favorites are size 15 and antique 22's. (Hard to find)

I'm attaching two pic's of my latest pieces. They are both fronts to purses (bag's non-dancing kind) just for everyday wear. The Deer I made for myself when I go to play stick game and the Horse I made for my sister in-law. It is a picture of her race horse that died some time ago and she sort of wanted to memorialize her "Baby Girl".

I found I could say things with beads that I couldn't say any other way.......things I had no words for" - Eva Mc Adams (my grandma)

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art"
-Leonardo Da Vinci
Attached Thumbnails
deer-bag.jpg   horse-bag.jpg  
Cutbead Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2005, 02:12 AM   #63
Fancy Shawler

kreegirl49 is on a distinguished road
I was taught by my koo-koom......she does awesome work....especially her eagles.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 AM   #64
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
cutbead queen... I did'nt see those till just now.. absolutely beautiful!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #65
Traditional Dancer

Cutbead Queen is a jewel in the rough
Thank you black bear, lately I've been really into beading animals......I enjoy the challenge, sore neck, and aching back I guess. In some demented way, I almost hate to finish some of my projects......they become friends in a weird sort of way, if you know what I meen. I recall reading one of your post about a shirt that didn't want fringe. LOL. I know what you meen!

"I found I could say things with my beads that I couldn't say any other way....things I had no words for" - Eva McAdams Eastern Shoshone
Cutbead Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2005, 03:28 AM   #66
Tiny Tot Dancer

White_Shield will become famous soon enough
Location: North Dakota Native born. Residing in Colorado Springs CO. for now.
self-taught

Some of my best friendz are beaders. Some days when we visited. They could visit an bead at the sametime. I would just kind of look on watching them bead(in our younger days). When I had children of my own. I started them dancing in Tiny Tots and into Juniors. Then with the passing of my father and grandmother. I took them out of dancing and I started the mourning process time. Now that time has passed in a good way. This year I let my daughter pickup her newly made Fancy Shawl and my sons newly made N. Tradish outfits. Well, needless to say we are busier than ever. This past spring I have learned to bead myself and taught my daughter how to bead also. I am making her help out and teaching her at the same time, I get my son involved every chance I can. They both enjoy learning how to make stuff. Including both outfits. Plus I have also picked up a few pointers (and passed them on to the children) on the Pow Wows gathering pages. Thanks Ladies !!! I am always on a learning curve. LOL
Old 06-13-2005, 03:38 AM   #67
Tiny Tot Dancer

White_Shield will become famous soon enough
Location: North Dakota Native born. Residing in Colorado Springs CO. for now.
Forgot something

I guess I was also going to mention that next year when all the beadwork is finished for everyone. I think I'm going to start on my own womans N. Tradish style outfit. Which I am thinking that project is going to take at least one good year of beadworking.... sigh.... again. But on the lighter side..It will be done. And I am sure I'll do other projects. ;- )
Old 06-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #68
Junior Dancer

Mezzobean has a spectacular aura about
I started beading after looking at the photos of the beautiful work here on PowWows.com . . . the message boards have been very helpful. I also got some loomwork pointers from the Abenaki friend who introduced me to my first PowWow (her mother's memorial.) I, too, think it is very peaceful to bead . . . I live in the frantic northeast and there is little peace - especially driving on the streets of Boston LOL - and I think beading feels like a refuge and a connection to other times and places.
Mezzobean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #69
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
I definitely agree with you Mezzo on the refuge part... last weekend I needed to sit with my 2 little dog friends again for half a day, so I took my beading with me and sat under the apple tree beading while the dogs got lots of fresh air.

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #70
Junior Dancer

Mezzobean has a spectacular aura about
Yippee - I'm back to beading after driving from Boston to Los Angeles - and then back again - in 9 days! (My son was planning to go to school out there, but - sorry to those of you in southern CA - disliked it SO much that we broke the lease on his apt, packed up the car 2 days after unpacking it, and headed back east!)

These middle-aged eyes can only bead using the giant magnifying light on my desk, so taking beading with me was not really an option . . . but it was the first thing I did 'for myself' when we got back. . . I've made two pairs of earrings in two days LOL.

As we drove by and through tribal lands on our trip I found myself thinking about all of the beaderworkers past and present whose hands and hearts made the kinds of things that inspire me and I sent my thanks out to them.
Mezzobean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #71
yooperbear

yooperbear is just really nice
My grandmother taught be a couple of simple styles when I was little, but I am mainly self-taught. My favorite stitch is the peyote stitch. I taught myself how to after seeing it in a book(I forget which one). I don't do a lot of beading anymore, only when my hands and fingers are working good-I have a nerve disorder. The last time I was able to get any beading done, I was in the hospital-and feeling no pain!
yooperbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #72
Teen's Contemporary Trad.

sunbursthonor is just really nice
Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
Bill Dehart, what a good ole man!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #73
Tiny Tot Dancer

lakotawinyan4life is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 1,052.36
who were u taught by to bead

My mother and her sister, she had 10, each one taught me something different. And I pretty much picked everything else that I know by experimenting. My mother(s) had the patience and that was the best lesson Ive learned from her/them. The first thing that Ive made was a pair of leggings, and from there everything else came later. Of course, I know longer fit the leggings and they are now a bag. I love to do lazy stitch and peyote stitch. I prefer to bead with size 13 cut beads and size 12 & 11.
lakotawinyan4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #74
shoshone

Angie McGarva is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Way I Remember Learning

This is interesting because when I was little back in the ole days they was a lot Made IN Japan beadword floating around and very non-Native. So, upon interest I took one of my mothers item apart. This was when I realize I could do a better job this time. So, experiences like this have resulted in my making my beadwork beyond belief. I now know that Native American work can't be copied. I started using two needles and still do today. If ever you get the chance learn by a good beaded. On hands experience is the best... There are several fast remedies to the art of Beadwork. And this doesn' mean picking up bead by bead. (Beeswax, Size B thread-nylon, Sharp 12-13 Needles short, and a good backing are tricks of this beautiful artwork.)
Angie McGarva is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #75
>>+<<YESENIA HILL>>+<<

southernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond repute
southernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond reputesouthernx_hunnie08 has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 0.05
Talking mom knows best

my mom taought me how to bead and i am very thankful for that b'cuz i just got done with my 1st set of beadwork about a year ago so know i am getting ready to make some new gear.... i love my mom......
Violets der really blue
Southern Xtreme ur much sweeter than mutton stew

You asked me whose life was more important- yours or mine and I answered "mine" ; you walked away angry not knowing that you are my life

I MY STONEY CREEK BOYZ
southernx_hunnie08 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #76
Junior Dancer

Chelseyrosebutterfly is a jewel in the rough
My mom taught me when I was 11 years old I learned how to tack my beads down and how to lazy stitch them. At first they where ugly they didn't look nice or anything. But I gotten better and I am a good beader. well I think I am. But yeah my mom taught me how.
Chelseyrosebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #77
LeeLee

firecloud is a jewel in the rough
I wish i had that oppertunity to learn from someone, but I had to teach myself and read many books and by trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. Not many people were to eager to sit and have the patients to teach, probably cause i'm an adult and i should help myself and learn...so i did. Sometimes I go about some projects the hard way but it's a lesson learned--so now what i know later on down the line i can share my learning with my daughter. That's how i learned. :)
Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #78
chahtaprincess

chahtaprincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I voted "by a family member" but I was sorta taught by a tribal elder... She taught me the basics then I had to take my teachings and continue to learn how to do the more difficult designs and types of beadwork. So I guess I taught myself as well... I just buy or borrow a piece of beadwork that I like and then I play with different ways I think it was made... Sometimes I can make an exact replica of the work on my first try and other times it will take me weeks on end to actually learn how to make that perticular item... I think because my teacher made me teach myself I can see how things are made instead of having someone tell me.
You should try just getting a rosette or a hairclip or some kind of work that you don't know how to make and try to teach yourself just by looking at it... and you may invent a new style that is truely your own... I know I kave...
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...
chahtaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #79
Tiny Tot Dancer

Meggers_018 is on a distinguished road
my answer to this would be all 3 choices.....My mom got me started. She lives 2 hours away from me, so I would have to ask friends from around here who knew how if I was having problems. And if I was doing something that no one else knew how to do I would hop on here or start searching online to see if i could figure it out. Like when I started on my lazy stitch, no one around here knew how to do it, so I was on the phone with a friend 6 hours away, started a thread on here, and started looking through a book i found. Eventually I figured out how to do it, and am really happy with how it is all turing out after 2 leggings and 1/2 a cape finished.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #80

Hawk_FeatherJY is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

I was a self taught sort of person, I started on things like simple stringing of beads. then i worked up to harder things like the loom work, (if you like to see the latest thing done by me its on the thread loomwork for beginners) (i think) I hope to do more but I m trying to learn diffrent methods of work as well so i can decide if thats my favorite method or not. lol got to have selection. Hope to see lots more work soon, I love the work I do see on the galleries. very beautfuly done.
Hawk_FeatherJY is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links