Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who were you taught by to bead?
taught by a family member 77 41.85%
taught by a friend 31 16.85%
self-taught 76 41.30%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork who were u taught by to bead? who were u taught by to bead?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #81
Mic-O-Say

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Horse That Stumbles will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
First post, hello!

Self-taught. I had no clue, no books, no guidance (still don't). All I had and all I have is patience. I built 4 different looms using my imagination as the primary design tool, turns out they are almost exactly the same as the ones I have seen on this BBS. Weird.

I recently completed my first project involving 65,999 #11 Chech seed beads. It took me 21 days of getting up @ 4:00am, beading till 6:00am, going to work, home @ 6:00pm, beading till 10:00pm.

Our Claws, Our Laws
Horse That Stumbles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 PM   #82
Dancer

Nathan11 will become famous soon enough
i was taught by my frien's brother. My first project was beading (Gourd Stitch) my roach pin that i made with black and neon green Macaw feathers. Its looking pretty good.
Nathan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #83

Hawk_FeatherJY is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan11
i was taught by my frien's brother. My first project was beading (Gourd Stitch) my roach pin that i made with black and neon green Macaw feathers. Its looking pretty good.
wow neeto! will ya post a pic so we can see?
Hawk_FeatherJY is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #84
Dancer

Nathan11 will become famous soon enough
yeah Sure. As soon as i finish it, i'll post a pic of it.
Nathan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #85

Hawk_FeatherJY is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan11
yeah Sure. As soon as i finish it, i'll post a pic of it.
cool, ty! I just got my new project done. i have pictures on the introduction to loom work thread. check her out tell me what ya think...
Hawk_FeatherJY is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #86
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 34,254.32
When I was 8, my mom bought me a loom-one of those cheap ones, but I had a great time. then I ran out of beads and let it alone for years. Now, I'm back into it big time. I think looming is an easy way to start because it gives you a feel for the beads. I saw somewhere in this thread, sombody recommended Shipwreck beads. They are ok, but the catalog is $10-you get a $15 credit, but if you don't have the $ right now, try Fire Mountain Gems-they have a huge selection of seed beads and findings and the catalog is free.I like their DynaMites-size 11. If you want to start with loomwork,and you get your beads from Michaels or Wal-Mat, you have to do a lot of sorting as you bead, because they aren't consistant in size and one thing you really need in looming is the same size beads. My hubby made my lom fom a sample I made. It's a piece of wood about 18"long with ends that are about 5"high and a screen door spring cut in half to hold the threads. there is a bead site that has animated tutorials-when I find it again, I'll let you know. If I can help more, let me know-either PM or email me. Happy beading. Sue
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #87
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 372.82
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that after all these years this post is still ongoing. Well, I read through all of my old posts and I have to say that I have kind of made some improvement. I am self-teaching myself, kind of. I have bought better beads than the ones from Michaels', those just pissed me off. like one bead was bigger than the other and it would just make my beadwork look uneven. I kind of started not too long ago to actually bead. I entered the Air Force as previously mentioned on the second page of this thread, and my life got so hectic, stopped going to powwows for a long time, I was just adapting to the military life. So now I'm settled in and ready to find myself again. I learned Peyote stitich (apache brick) and I am learning loom beading right now. I bought this little cheapy $7 one but I wanna upgrade it to a cool one that i saw on line so i can loom longer pieces. but here is my dilema.... here we go........ready???? after i finish beading what do i do with the thread that is i was beading on?? like the first and the last thread i can bead through that to connect it and the other side bead a 6 MM metal ball so that it can attach either like a choker or bracelet, but if i were to cut off the threads in between wouldn't the beads fall out?? help!!!!!
chirapachegurl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #88
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 372.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse That Stumbles
First post, hello!

Self-taught. I had no clue, no books, no guidance (still don't). All I had and all I have is patience. I built 4 different looms using my imagination as the primary design tool, turns out they are almost exactly the same as the ones I have seen on this BBS. Weird.

I recently completed my first project involving 65,999 #11 Chech seed beads. It took me 21 days of getting up @ 4:00am, beading till 6:00am, going to work, home @ 6:00pm, beading till 10:00pm.
I am finding myself in the same situation, my life revolves around beading right now. i wake up early, really tired, go to work, come home for lunch and bead what i can, go back to work and think about what i'm gonna do next and practice in my head loops and what beads i'm gonns skip. come home, take off my BDU and put on some shorts and bead some more and stay up late beading, my back is aching and hurtin, and i go to bed and wake up early to go to work and it's the same thing over again and i wake up tired as heck.
chirapachegurl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #89
~Pwowfeva~

amarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond repute
Actually two people taught me how to bead. My uncle first showed me how to bead a rosette when I was a teenager. Then an awesome Menominee friend showed me what she had been taught, just like a lazy stitch. I am better at sewing though because I don't have so much patience for beadwork. There's some beautiful work out there and I have much respect.
amarie49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #90
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,821.96
Savings: 1.00
I also pickd family, but ther was always a friend here and there that helpd me out when I need'd it.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #91
southern babe!

~comanche*babe*07~ is an unknown quantity at this point
i had learned how to beadwork by watching my mom (rita poorbuffalo)...she never really gave me one-on-one lessons...i would watch her, and study how she would make and bead different things...i guess you can say that i was (partially) self taught also...
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #92
Asmajol

Self Taughted
Well, that and helpful tips and hints from powwows.com
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #93
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I am entirely self-taught and self-learned! No one in my family has a crafty bone in their body! I started more than 20 years ago. It was always just me, my mistakes and I! But its great that so many resources are now available to make it much easier for those learning now.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #94
Pow Wow Visitor

alz is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 331.00
Hello, this is the first post for me.
I had learned how to beadwork (just a little) with "Crafts of North American Indians" by R. C. Schneider, an old book buyed in my town. After this i had learned from Native Tech's tutorial or other books.
I live in Italy and there is no one that can give me lessons, so here i'm something like "Last of Mohicans".
But now i'm here to watch the beautiful beadworks of PowWow's people.
alz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #95
Pow Wow Visitor

Fox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond reputeFox in the Box has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 130.00
I taught myself loomwork, but have since abandoned that since I was taught the wampum stitch by a friend of my brothers.

Fox
Fox in the Box is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #96
Pow Wow Visitor

FireAndFlint is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz View Post
Hello, this is the first post for me.
I had learned how to beadwork (just a little) with "Crafts of North American Indians" by R. C. Schneider, an old book buyed in my town. After this i had learned from Native Tech's tutorial or other books.
I live in Italy and there is no one that can give me lessons, so here i'm something like "Last of Mohicans".
But now i'm here to watch the beautiful beadworks of PowWow's people.
native tech is an excellent resource, I'm using it for help with quillwork.
FireAndFlint is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #97
**Lovin' Life**

nessadawn25 has a spectacular aura about
My Gma

My GMA Betty taught me how to bead. I think I was about 12ish...One summer back in Oregon. I loved it, was hooked from then on. She made me bead a little barrett one time, it came out like a lop sided diamond...lol. She just laughed and said, "Your never gonna put food on the table beading like that." Lol. We had a chuckle and I started another project. Over the years just got better and better. Then taught my little sis to bead, and hell if she didn't turn out to be the "Beader" of the family. I took up sewing mostly, and love it too.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #98
Pow Wow Visitor

alz is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 331.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAndFlint View Post
native tech is an excellent resource, I'm using it for help with quillwork.
You is true. I have shown to the friends of an Italian forum on the history of the West the Multiquilling Plaiting Tecnique and they have been impressed.
alz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #99
walk your talk

tiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond repute
tiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 413.53
My dad, his sister and myself... If anything my friends come to me asking

sometimes you have to live life as if what everyone else thinks does not matter, but is still a factor...
that even though you think you are so lost, you may be found...
no matter what comes in your life, it will be over come...
and that the real reason that you live is for love, and finding inner peace...
live free for what its worth an never let life hold you back from living
One person can make a difference----lets all of us give it a try.--- john f. Kennedy

other places u can find me...

]htt://www.myspace.com/hawkredfeather630
www.facebook.com/redfeather630
tiffany redfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #100
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
I am self taught mainly. I do go over to youtube for ideas and the like. I learned to sew from my mom.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links