Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree7Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Bustle Construction Bustle Construction

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #21
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thanks randyinkc. That pipe cleaner trick is pretty neat.

At this point, all outside rows of hackles have been tied. Some people will go ahead and tie the inner row of hackles in the next step.

I prefer to go ahead and extend the quills here. The extended quill gives me more to hold on to while tying the inner row of hackles.

Extending the quills is fairly simple. Most people use wooden dowel rods. If anyone else has any ideas on what to use, please share them.

You will see now, the importance of pulling the fluff off of the base of the spike. This makes it ALOT easier to measure for the extensions.

I start by cutting off the quill approximately 1.5 inches below the start of the webbing. If you have enough quill on all of your feathers to cut 2.0 inches below the webbing, you may choose to do that.

You will notice that some of the feathers have a white pith in the quill. This can be removed with a drill. Just be careful not to drill through the side of the quill.

Buy dowel rods that most closely match the diameter of the quills. However, stick with one size dowel. Don't mix sizes. Remember, weight is an issue, so consider that when buying dowels. 1/4" is usually a good size.

Simply sharpen one end of the dowel rod and insert it into the hollow quill. I've found that Elmer's Wood Glue works really well here. It makes an extremely strong bond with the wood and the quill of the feather. Wipe of the excess glue when it oozes out.

After it dries, measure down from the BASE OF THE WEBBING and cut the dowel at the desired length. For this set of bustles the extensions would probably be 4" to 6" depending on the size of the dancer.

If you cut the dowels before you insert them into the quills, they may not all end up the same length. This is because some dowels go further into the quill than others.

I hope all of that made sense.
bwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2003, 12:41 PM   #22
Teen Dancer

bwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond repute
It is ok...... in fact it's pretty much unavoidable that some of the quills will split when you insert the dowel rod. This is fine. If you know that the quill is too small, sometimes I'll split the end of the quill in a couple of places with an exacto knife before I insert the dowel. This way, the quill kind of wraps itself around the dowel.

If it splits, simply wipe off the excess and tie it tight with string until the glue dries or maybe wrap it with tape to ensure a good bond. This string or tape can be removed once the glue dries.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:30 PM   #23
Teen Dancer

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been really busy, but I haven't forgotten. I hope to post more soon.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:54 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

DanceswithLightning is a jewel in the rough
bustle construction

The way I do it, get a thin towel, place on a hard surface. Put the iron on steam. put the feather in the middle of the towel and steam it straight. I will put it curve side up, so the weight and pressure will help straighten it. Usually I will have to take it out of the towel and curve it in the opposite direction of the curve. It works perfectly for eagle feathers or turkey.

Danceswithlightning

I am the lightning that you see in the sky. Beautiful to look at, impossible to touch. If I touch you, you will never be the same.
DanceswithLightning is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #25
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
Great thread BWhite!!!!!!!! Lots of great info!!!!!!!!! I've been trying to decide wether to build my first bustle or have someone make me one. Still haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward building my own more and more

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

nativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond repute
bustle constuction

The biggest problem I am having now is how to mount them so that they are shaped correctly and that they don't come apart during a contest. Both of my sons are dancing this style and we have worked really hard on making the bustles, but I'm stuck on this part.HELP!:) :)
nativ_5_o is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #27
PowWows.com Addicts

Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 450.31
BWhite,
Sounds like you know what your'e talking about. What I like about your instructions, besides the clear illustrations and the step-by-step clarity .....is the fact that you stress being neat. Several pretty tough fancy dancers wear some bustles with nice hackles, but you can tell they did a rush job and just wanted to get'em done. Couple of things you didn't mention or maybe I missed it...was the fact that many dancers now days prefer to leave the curve in the spike for the bowed out look. Another thing not touched on was how us guys keep these things on, without getting choked or too uncomfortable. Some questions for you...

1. Do you make bustles for sale?
2. If so, how much do you charge?
3. How long does it take you to complete a set?
4. Where do you get your strung saddle hackles, 8-10 inch?
5. How much do you pay /ounce?

Get back to me ASAP!

Thanks.

Furiously Fancy
Furiously-Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2003, 02:08 AM   #28
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Some good observations. I am not aware of a trend to keep the bow in bustle feathers. Except for swing bustles (or eagle wing bustles) Every good set of hackle bustles I have ever seen have straightened feathers. It's all part of the neatness that you talked about. If you leave the feathers bowed they will not be as neat, because not all feathers bow the same.

If anyone has any pictures of good hackle bustles made with unstraightened feathers I'd appreciate a copy. Let me know.
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #29
PowWows.com Addicts

Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 450.31
Beadman,
Many top name dancers wear the "Bow-style". These kind of bustles have a curve in them, but it's not necessarily the natural curve of the feather. Feathers are still bent to match one another, even though they are not straight.

Furiously-Fancy
Furiously-Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #30
Teen Dancer

I've never seen bustles with a lot of curve. All of the bustles I've seen have straightened feathers. Sometimes, I guess, with heat and humidity, the feathers will have a tendency to go back to their original shape. But if you do a good job of straightening, this won't be an issue.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

nativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond repute
regarding bustles

Its not the problem of the spikes going back to their original shape, its that I haven't had any help in mounting them on a base and having them stay cupped right and strudy so that they don't look all messed up for contest dancing. sorry its hard for me to explain, I just have no clue how to do it.......HELP!
nativ_5_o is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2003, 04:59 PM   #32
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
Thanks alot bwhite. I've always wondered how to put together a bustle. Of course I'll probably try a small one first then one to my size (5'11"). Really again I want to thank you. Really really thank you.
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #33
Teen Dancer

Alright, back to the bustles. I've attached a picture showing how to insert the sharpened dowel.
Attached Thumbnails
pic-10-sharpened-dowel.jpg  
Old 04-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #34
Teen Dancer

Once the dowel is inserted and glued into the quill, it should be cut off to the desired length as mentioned earlier. Attached is a drawing of an extended feather. Notice the small crack in the quill.
Attached Thumbnails
pic-11-extended-feather.gif  
Old 04-24-2003, 10:00 AM   #35
Teen Dancer

After all of the quills have been extended with the dowels, you have to put "loops" on the ends of all the dowels so that you can string the primary lace.

I have used several different materials to do this. I like strong leather the best. I have also used plastic cable ties that you can get from any hardware store.

I've never used it, but i've seen it used, and it looks like it works well are the thin nylon straps that are used to bundle newspapers, cardboard and other stuff like that.

For this example, lets go with the leather. I cut leather strips 1/4" wide and approximately 1.25" long. Use a little glue and tie them on the dowel as shown in the attachment.

The direction you tie them is VERY IMPORTANT. Looking at side of the feather (with the webbing pointing straight to you) you should be able to see light through the loop at the end of the extension.
Attached Thumbnails
pic-12-leather-loop.gif  
Old 04-24-2003, 10:03 AM   #36
Teen Dancer

This is a picture of the leather loop looking from the top of the feather. Notice, you can't see through the loop.
Attached Thumbnails
pic-13-leather-loop-top.gif  
Old 05-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #37
Pow Wow Visitor

learnin2dance is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

I'm starting to buy supplies for a bustle, what do I need, how much of it do I need and where is the best place to buy the stuff? I've started to order some stuff from Crazy Crow and I am planning on going down to Supernaws for the Hackles. Are there any other places that have good quality stuff at a low price?
learnin2dance is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2003, 02:33 PM   #38
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Supernaws has cheep spikes too. Ask for open end spikes, they are cheeper, and actually work better for hackle bustles. Fire Lake Trading Post at the Potowatomi Trading Post in Shawnee used to have bustle supplies, don't know if they still do.

As far a mail order, I'd stick with Crazy Crow
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #39
gawk where's the gun Gawk

MAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond repute
Question bustle base

Dear all knowing fancy dancers:
I am new to dancing and in the search of regalia . I stumbled onto your thread acsidentely since I am a traditional dancer. I figured out how to change these instructions into a traditional dance bustle.I have one question though, please tell me how to create the base to the bustle the part you tie onto your back. In the hopes of seeing you at powwows.

Rob
Maroon is my base color
MAROONDANCER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2003, 03:03 PM   #40
Pow Wow Visitor

FancyNcali is an unknown quantity at this point
Backboards

hey bwhite or anyone else know how to set up some nice bustles up northern style with no medallion or centerpeice?? you know what im talking about? the type of fancy hackle bustles that are held down with strings on like every other 5 feathers and not a centerpeice? sorry if i sound confusing :Chatter but if anyone can help me
FancyNcali is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links