Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Can a white guy Fancy Feather Dance? Can a white guy Fancy Feather Dance?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #1

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mukluk_guy1 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Can a white guy Fancy Feather Dance?

I hope there is someone out there than can help me. I am a white guy who just happens to love watching the Fancy Dancers at local Pow Wow's. I have dreamed of doing this myself, but don't wish to disrespect the native culture by doing it unless it's not a problem. If it is possible, and there is someone out there who might be able to help me, I would very much appreciate it. I am in the Edmonton Alberta Canada area and am willing to give this however much time it would take to learn this beautiful form of dance. Please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Mike
Mukluk_guy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukluk_guy1 View Post
Can a white guy fancy feather dance?

Mike,

Sure!

White guys CAN dance!

.... they just can't jump.

*L

j/k
Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Banned

Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
Be prepared for the heat, and to be put on a bit of a **** list with this question, just because a white person likes the style of dance, doesn't mean they can do it, allot of native people would see that as imitation, and stealing culture, which has gone on for a very long time already...
Creewoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

I agree that could happen, but that's why I am asking. I would never ever want to make it seem like I was trying to imitate or cheapen the dance in any way. I was hoping to talk to and maybe learn from a local who would help me realize a dream. I don't wish to just dance, I wish to become part of the dance. That last thing I ever want to do is offend anyone. Thank you :)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

gunhetah is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 1,361.03
At least you have the respect to ask first!
gunhetah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
You will first need to decide northern plains or southern plains fancy war dancing. Now, some fancy dance steps have meanings especially with the southern plains. Some steps are very old so as such, you'll need to have somebody teach you.

Have you decided where you're going to go to find someone? Do you know what to bring or how to ask?
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #7

Being from Alberta Canada, I wish to learn the Northern Plains Fancy. I am actually on this site to hopefully find someone who would like to take on the challenge of teaching me. While I have admired and watched the dances for years, I have never spoken with anyone about my dream of one day doing it myself. I have started some research as to what it all entails and am very excited about what I have learned so far. I actually choose to ask about the Fancy Dance because of the fact that while some of the steps are very old, the actual for of dance is fairly new (early 1900's). I figured this would be the smoothest way as to not offend anyone. The other reason was the AMAZING regalia. In my mind, it doesn't get more beautiful than that.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Being from Alberta Canada, I wish to learn the Northern Plains Fancy. I am actually on this site to hopefully find someone who would like to take on the challenge of teaching me. While I have admired and watched the dances for years, I have never spoken with anyone about my dream of one day doing it myself. I have started some research as to what it all entails and am very excited about what I have learned so far. I actually choose to ask about the Fancy Dance because of the fact that while some of the steps are very old, the actual for of dance is fairly new (early 1900's). I figured this would be the smoothest way as to not offend anyone. The other reason was the AMAZING regalia. In my mind, it doesn't get more beautiful than that.
Our lives are a challenge enough and you want us to be challenged by your inexperience? You'll need to allow yourself plenty of time and find someone who will help you out.

You still haven't answered my question: Do you know what to bring and how to ask?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Mike,

Sure!

White guys CAN dance!

.... they just can't jump.

*L

j/k

lol, thought i was going to come on and make a cute azz comment but there you are!!!!
dang leave some glory for the rest of us.
love you man
Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #10

Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by they_drag_him View Post
Our lives are a challenge enough and you want us to be challenged by your inexperience? You'll need to allow yourself plenty of time and find someone who will help you out.

You still haven't answered my question: Do you know what to bring and how to ask?
oh here we go...
oops to late.
lol, let's see where this goes.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #11

wanted to throw some green at Drag, but too soon so I will just throw it at him here.

blah blah, just got in off to bed/
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #12

"Our lives are a challenge enough and you want us to be challenged by your inexperience? You'll need to allow yourself plenty of time and find someone who will help you out.

You still haven't answered my question: Do you know what to bring and how to ask?"

I know I am inexperienced, but that is why I am posting here. I also know this sort of thing doesn't take overnight, nor should it. And to answer the question.... I don't know what to bring or who to ask, that's why I'm here. I have only seen the actual performances and not practice. I can assume that full regalia is not needed for that. And please, I'm not looking to get into any arguments over this topic. I'm just doing my best to be respectful and ask before doing.

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
"Our lives are a challenge enough and you want us to be challenged by your inexperience? You'll need to allow yourself plenty of time and find someone who will help you out.

You still haven't answered my question: Do you know what to bring and how to ask?"

I know I am inexperienced, but that is why I am posting here. I also know this sort of thing doesn't take overnight, nor should it. And to answer the question.... I don't know what to bring or who to ask, that's why I'm here. I have only seen the actual performances and not practice. I can assume that full regalia is not needed for that. And please, I'm not looking to get into any arguments over this topic. I'm just doing my best to be respectful and ask before doing.

Thank you.
Sure, let me give RG Harris or Todd Red Bear a call for you. Just kidding. The only way is to attend powwow after powwow, intertribal after intertribal, honor song after honor song, specials after specials. After a number of years, you may be ready.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,347.23
Quote:
Sure, let me give RG Harris or Todd Red Bear a call for you. Just kidding.
*LOL*

Quote:
The only way is to attend powwow after powwow, intertribal after intertribal, honor song after honor song, specials after specials. After a number of years, you may be ready.
Good answer!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,625.62
You might ask " lostsalt" ! Good luck with the "learning" , just remember it's not an overnight thing ! "Respect" is a good start.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #16

Thank you wardancer. I agree... respect is the number one thing. I have been getting some VERY good private emails about this and I appreciate all the help from everyone.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
You might ask " lostsalt" ! Good luck with the "learning" , just remember it's not an overnight thing ! "Respect" is a good start.
hey thanks for the green, miss you to brother.
blah i just want to puke, where is all this comming from? feeling salty tonight. that is great advice but come on!!!!!!!! OKAY I WILL STOP NOW, HAVE A GREAT NIGHT ALL.

<----shakes her head as she leaves mumbling,,,,can a white man dance
hmpf!!!

JP, BUT NO FOR REALS
Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #18

I have been holding back for the past few days, but I just have to say this. I was asking the question to gather information. All I have EVER done my entire life is respect the native culture and people and all I seem to ever hear is how there is no respect from the white man towards natives. Now here I am, trying to possible bridge that gap and all I get are a bunch of negative, really dumb, responses. Perhaps this is something to think about for the few of you who have made my latest experience somewhat jaded. Of course I am expecting the usual responses even to this, buy HEY, I don't care. 99% of the native population I can respect, the other 1% feel free to keep posting on this thread.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
I have been holding back for the past few days, but I just have to say this. I was asking the question to gather information. All I have EVER done my entire life is respect the native culture and people and all I seem to ever hear is how there is no respect from the white man towards natives. Now here I am, trying to possible bridge that gap and all I get are a bunch of negative, really dumb, responses. Perhaps this is something to think about for the few of you who have made my latest experience somewhat jaded. Of course I am expecting the usual responses even to this, buy HEY, I don't care. 99% of the native population I can respect, the other 1% feel free to keep posting on this thread.

Mguy1,
You were gathering information for what? So that you'd be able to do dance without the proper protocol? 1.0% percent can make a big difference for this 1.0% may include your future mentor.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
Banned

Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

MEH, MEH, MEH
Creewoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links