PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Fancy Feather Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f16/)
-   -   Favorite Fancy Dancer (http://forums.powwows.com/f16/favorite-fancy-dancer-13998/)

lostsalt 09-24-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck D. Offt (Post 1436012)
Mine is this guy Mike, from somewhere in Tennessee. Altough my friend Rusty liked this guy in North Carolina, but he moved away. Rusty said one time this guy was dancing and the spirit moved him too much and his leg stopped working and they had to carry him out of the area. Rusty said it was because his spirit didn't want to leave so it made his lef stop working.

Well...... I..ah...
Oh' never mind!:tapedshut:tapedshut:tapedshut:tapedshut:leav ing::leaving:

Buck D. Offt 09-24-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsalt (Post 1436015)
Well...... I..ah...
Oh' never mind!:tapedshut:tapedshut:tapedshut:tapedshut:leav ing::leaving:

I see from your pic that you are a traditional dancer, maybe you should stick to that forum.

lostsalt 09-24-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck D. Offt (Post 1436016)
I see from your pic that you are a traditional dancer, maybe you should stick to that forum.

I'm either a Traditional Fancy Dancer or a Fancy Traditional dancer so.........
Can I stick around the 4-um anyway.

The thread is dead anyway. It's not like i could hurt anything.

Hey Buck,
Who started fancy dancin'?

Buck D. Offt 09-24-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsalt (Post 1436018)
I'm either a Traditional Fancy Dancer or a Fancy Traditional dancer so.........
Can I stick around the 4-um anyway.

The thread is dead anyway. It's not like i could hurt anything.

Hey Buck,
Who started fancy dancin'?

Well, dance team advisor Mark told me but I forgot, he knows alot. I'll ask my friend Rusty, he;s originally from north carolina, I think he even went to a couple of those indian seminars, he'll probably know too, but he's at the Cone family reunion this weekend, so I won;t see him until dance practice next wednesday. but I'll get back to you or you can pm me if I forget if you really want to know.

robby 01-07-2011 08:09 AM

who started fancydancing?

I was just wanting to pass on info that the fancy dance is credited to the Ponca tribe. I have heard a number of different names associated with the original beginning, the most accepted is Augustus "gus" McDonald.

Iowa_Boy 01-07-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby (Post 1451544)
I was just wanting to pass on info that the fancy dance is credited to the Ponca tribe. I have heard a number of different names associated with the original beginning, the most accepted is Augustus "gus" McDonald.

You mean the Gus McDonald that one the first major fancy dance contest at Haskell in KS that won the Ponca tribe the right to host the world fancy dance championships at their powwow in August? That one?

Wow, tell us more........

did you know that Gus actually tied for first?

Buck D. Offt 01-07-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy (Post 1451625)
You mean the Gus McDonald that one the first major fancy dance contest at Haskell in KS that won the Ponca tribe the right to host the world fancy dance championships at their powwow in August? That one?

Wow, tell us more........

did you know that Gus actually tied for first?

Now dance team advisor Mark, who is from Oklahoma by the way, he says that the Kiowa started fancy dancing, and gourd dancing too, and that they invented singing, and that they were the first to do beadwork, and that they invented moccasins and thread and roaches, and everything, and you know what, Al Gore didn't invent the internet, the Kiowa did.

BigChef 01-07-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck D. Offt (Post 1451627)
Now dance team advisor Mark, who is from Oklahoma by the way, he says that the Kiowa started fancy dancing, and gourd dancing too, and that they invented singing, and that they were the first to do beadwork, and that they invented moccasins and thread and roaches, and everything, and you know what, Al Gore didn't invent the internet, the Kiowa did.

I hate to tell you this but your dance team advisor Mark is wrong. The Kiowa did not invent all of those things. The Sioux did. Well, except for the internet... their buddy iktomi invented that.
You ought to change dance teams. I bet that Mark is not even the subchief clan father for your tribes lodge. Better yet, you ought to challenge him for the right to be the advisor. You can use ancient ways and tie your left hands together and fight it out old style. Or if he's scared you can give each other indian burns, last man standing wins.

You can do it... I believe in you!

crazywolf 01-10-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck D. Offt (Post 1451627)

I thought Bill Gates invented the internet....

As far as the Kiowa inventing fancy dancing.... Aren'e the Kiowa and Ponca close relatives? I mean I used to hang with some Kiowa when I lived in Florida and just about all the songs they sang were Ponca. And if anyone else started to sing a Ponca song, you can bet their ears perked up so they could tell you if you sang it wrong or not. Lord help you if you sang it wrong too.

As far as singing and dancing goes though, I think that those are credited to Nanaboozhoo. He had one reason or another to invent them. I think he was bored and just started singing one day, and some warrior came up to him and asked what he was doing. He said, "Oh I don't know. I just started having these thoughts and started saying them out loud you know. They sounded good so I repeated the important parts.

When asked why he invented dancing, he said he was being chased by some giants, and he came upon some stones. He tried to step on the stones but slipped this way and that. Before the giants knew what was happening, they became confused by Nanaboozhoo's movements and crashed into each other. So when he got back to his village and asked how he escaped without bodily harm he demonstrated the steps on the stones. The Anishinaabe loved it so much they copied him.

Iowa_Boy 01-10-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywolf (Post 1452083)
I thought Bill Gates invented the internet....

As far as the Kiowa inventing fancy dancing.... Aren'e the Kiowa and Ponca close relatives? I mean I used to hang with some Kiowa when I lived in Florida and just about all the songs they sang were Ponca. And if anyone else started to sing a Ponca song, you can bet their ears perked up so they could tell you if you sang it wrong or not. Lord help you if you sang it wrong too.

As far as singing and dancing goes though, I think that those are credited to Nanaboozhoo. He had one reason or another to invent them. I think he was bored and just started singing one day, and some warrior came up to him and asked what he was doing. He said, "Oh I don't know. I just started having these thoughts and started saying them out loud you know. They sounded good so I repeated the important parts.

When asked why he invented dancing, he said he was being chased by some giants, and he came upon some stones. He tried to step on the stones but slipped this way and that. Before the giants knew what was happening, they became confused by Nanaboozhoo's movements and crashed into each other. So when he got back to his village and asked how he escaped without bodily harm he demonstrated the steps on the stones. The Anishinaabe loved it so much they copied him.

no the kiowa and ponca are not related, but they do both live in Oklahoma, thus there was interaction between them during the formative years of fancy dancing. Every tribe has some origin story for singing and dancing.

Zeke 01-12-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy (Post 1452133)
Every tribe has some origin story for singing and dancing.

The obvious query is how many of them, related to pan-Indian Fancy Dancing, seem to germinate from Pawnee Bill? :eyebrow2:

Iowa_Boy 01-13-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1452463)
The obvious query is how many of them, related to pan-Indian Fancy Dancing, seem to germinate from Pawnee Bill? :eyebrow2:

Think further south and west in OK, the Craterville Lake experience is really the first major planted seed in the non-native wild plant that we call the "fancy dance" today. Pawnee Bull, the 101 Ranch, Thomas Ince, and other impact dancing at diff times and places, but the CL plays a larger, more important role than them, at an earlier date, in regard to fancy.

Zeke 01-13-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy (Post 1452502)
Think further south and west in OK, the Craterville Lake experience is really the first major planted seed in the non-native wild plant that we call the "fancy dance" today. Pawnee Bull, the 101 Ranch, Thomas Ince, and other impact dancing at diff times and places, but the CL plays a larger, more important role than them, at an earlier date, in regard to fancy.

To my knowledge, it wasn't until the last summer that folks outside of the tribal triumvirate participated -- making it difficult for me to buy that scores of "outside seeds" were planted en masse -- but I do understand the romanticism of the 1925-ish to 1933-ish Craterville Fair thing and you've researched more its impact. "Cool."

Social evolution is an inexplicable and wondrous thing. I, often, wonder what future folks will refer to today's stuff as?

WhoMe 01-22-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1452517)
I, often, wonder what future folks will refer to today's stuff as?

Ol' Skool or some equivelant.

YBHMETALHEAD 05-07-2013 11:13 AM

i feel like such an old cat for my age, but my faves, well first off is tha 3 Poncas who started it all back in tha 20's-

Gus McDonald
Dennis Roughface
Henry Snake

but tha dancers who i look up to are

Pete Moore Jr.
Randy Moore
Deion Henry
George Alexander
Dwight White Buffalo
R.G. Harris
Crazy Horse Bison
Graham Primeaux
Cortney Yarholar

T. Jude Fox 05-11-2013 06:15 AM

Jon Poncho Brady is The Michael Jordan of Fancy Feather Dancing.

AmigoKumeyaay 01-19-2015 08:26 AM

ISAIAH THE EXTREME BOB
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HATkGyqwvss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>