Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Fixing Damaged roach hair Fixing Damaged roach hair

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 01:10 AM   #1
sPeK_FancyDancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Unhappy Fixing Damaged roach hair

hey therall of you in pow-wow land, well i been dancing for a while but recently my roach hair (deer hair) was been becoming frayed because my rocker always hits it and this weekend i noticed it was really bad, well my question is what can i use to make it go straight up again, my friend said use vaseline by rubbing it in but im not too sure about that idea. Doesn anyone have any tips for me to fix my problem? what do you do when your roach hair droops down? Help me!!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2002, 01:46 AM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

serapin is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
well, this works for me, but it depends on how bad it is
wrap it on the roach stick and keep it someplace humid
like take it into the bathroom when you take a shower
the steam will make it more pliable, and having it wrapped will make it stand up again
this works for me, but again it depends on the severity
Old 02-18-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

questor517 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
I don't know if I'm ready to recommend this publically, but I have found that a steam iron works wonders with porky and deer hair. I use a wool setting, on the theory that wool and fur probably have the same reactions to heat.

I had a length of tied deer hair I re-dyed. I messed it up, leaving it in the dye bath too long and it the texture of it looked strange and frizzled. I steam ironied it on wool setting, and it came back just fine.

Porky hair is wonderfully resilient. It can get very out of shape, and a little touch up with the steam iron puts it back like new. Just letting a porky roach sit in the position it would be in while worn the hair seems to adjust itself to the way it should be. Anyway, try this at your own risk, but I have had good results with this.
questor517 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2002, 03:13 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 307.00
I learned this from a roach maker.
Spray your roach until it's nice and wet with Johnson's "No More Tangles". Comb the hair out with a large comb, then carefully wrap the roach on the bat with an ace bandage.
I know of people's roaches who are now 12 years old and they look better than many new roaches.
Mine's 8 1/2 years old and it's still standing tall.

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #5
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
a roach makers opinion

sPeK FancyDancer

Hello, I have quite a bit of experience with roaches since I have been making them for over 20 years and I currently tie them for my living. There are several reason your porky hair might be looking a bit frayed and droopy.

The most important thing to keep in mind that if you want a roach to look right every time you use it, then you have to wrap it back up after every use. That means not leaving it rigged from the afternoon to evening set or from one day to the next. Porky hair (especially long porky hair) is very susceptible to humidity and wrapping it helps it maintain it's shape.

First off porky hair is hollow and porcupines are a fairly greasy animal, their hair requires oil. I usually suggest to folks to 'condition' their roach at least once a year. To do this all you need to do is dampen the hair on the roach, and then put on a good coat of hair conditioner (just like you use for your own hair). Let that set on the roach for an hour or so and then rinse it out, place the roach on the bat and comb the hair out straight then wrap the roach again on the bat/stick. Now place it on the dashboard of a closed car in the summer or over the furnace register in the house if done in the winter. Leave it all day in the car or a couple of days over the register, depending on the one you chose to use, so it will dry. This will cure the fuzzy frayed look.

Now as for the droopy hair, there could be several reasons it is doing this. The simplest cure is to wrap the roach correctly for the way you want it to lay. If you want it to stand up them the base the hair is sewn to needs to stop right at the edge of the bat/stick it is wrapped to. If you want it to 'flair out' then have the base needs to extend slightly past the edge of the bat/stick. the farther past the bat the more it flares. If this does not cure your droopy front hair then you will need to have a new base made for the rows of hair. You see if the base is too flimsy then it will not be strong enough to hold the hair up straight.

A few other hints.

-- Do not put a spreader larger the base of your roach into your roach. This will break and wear the hair prematurely.

-- Don't grab your roach from the sides, in a pinching manner. This can crimp or break the hair against the spreader.

-- Put a permanent string in the base for the behind the head. whether you tie it on or use a pin you still need the neck string and you can use a small one facing up to tie the bottom end of the spreader into place so it will not spin and hurt the hair in your roach (not to mention it looking stupid...LOL)

If a roach is given correct attention and maintenance then it will easily last a lifetime (or at least 20+ years). If you have anymore questions the feel free to ask.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2002, 02:53 AM   #6
sPeK_FancyDancer

hey thanks a lot for the help i hope it works.

(ps- my roach is 12 yeays old it was passed on by my father)
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links