Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iowa_Boy

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Hackles Hackles

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Fancy Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Red Drum is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Hackles

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. However, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to order hackles for my bustles. Preferrably off the internet.

My problem is with Noc Bay. I like their hackles, but whenever I order an amount more than say 2 or 4 ounces, my hackles are a mess. By mess I mean that they are different lengths. My last order I believe I ordered 6 ounces and they gave me 4 ounces that were fine. The rest were in 1/4 ounces and the sizes vary greatly. Of course I ordered them months ago and didn't realize this problem until now, when I have 6 more spikes to tie hackles to on my first bustle. Soon I will be starting my second bustle and I'm at a loss.

Please help! Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated!!
Red Drum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
supernaws is THE place
WhoMe likes this.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
unless you know where they get them.

I use about 5 places depending on the size and color.
If the ones from Noc Bay were not good, you should have called them.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Fancy Dancer

Ok thanks. I agree, I should have called them, but I hadn't noticed until months after I ordered them, so I figured that it was too late to call.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Fancy Dancer

So, for an update, I haven't received the hackles I ordered from Noc Bay. I called yesterday and the girl messed up the order and sent it to a town about 10 miles away. I explained to her that I need these hackles to finish my bustle because I have a pow wow this weekend and she barely cared.

So, my advice would be, don't use Noc Bay if you're in a rush. Thankfully she called UPS and I should be getting my package back tomorrow. I should be able to make it to the pow wow.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Drum View Post
So, for an update, I haven't received the hackles I ordered from Noc Bay. I called yesterday and the girl messed up the order and sent it to a town about 10 miles away. I explained to her that I need these hackles to finish my bustle because I have a pow wow this weekend and she barely cared.

So, my advice would be, don't use Noc Bay if you're in a rush. Thankfully she called UPS and I should be getting my package back tomorrow. I should be able to make it to the pow wow.
Boozhoo niji,

I have never had a problem with Noc Bay, but you want to change, I have always ordered my hackles from Crazy Crow. Go online, and request a catalogue, then you can order by phone. I think their prices have always been reasonable, and never had a problem with their hackles. I do on ocassion have troubles with their spikes though. I ususally order select for my bustles, which is next to the best according to their grading system, but I have gotten spikes that look more like seconds, which is what they sell as "bulk". I usually order twice as many of everything that I need, just as a matter of principle. You can always use spare feathers if they are of good quality too.

Derek
Old 10-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Just depends on what you want, do you want 5-6" or 6"-8" or 7"-9"? What colors do you want? Most companies separate "dark" hackles from "light" (undyed vs. dyed) as well. I prefer longer hackles that you can't get from standard places. Buffalo Chips have the fluorescent colors that are decent in size, so I use them when I need those. Quality is quality, there is a difference not only in price between crap and great. Crap hackles give you crap bustles (although you can do things to disguise short hackles like close multiple rows). "Catalog" outfits are just that, catalog outfits. Like a great roach maker that uses the best hair available, great bustle makers settle for no less as well.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53

I get mine from STILLREZIN he has a very large chicken.
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsalt View Post
Hey Lostsalt, I thought you got "it" from that girl in Wyoming, or was it that girl in Ohio, or that girl, etc....................
Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
Hey Lostsalt, I thought you got "it" from that girl in Wyoming, or was it that girl in Ohio, or that girl, etc....................
Easy now, brother. Those weren't hackles I was getting
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Quote:
were those chickens already plucked?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
One more push-up,Please!

Quote:
were those chickens already plucked?
AHH ..... GOOT TIMES... GOOT TIMES.

To borrow a phrase from Clinton...
It depends on what your definition of "plucked " is? tehe he
Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
HUUUUUUUUUH!

the offer still stands, come up for the Lower sioux thanksgiving powwow, you can stay with me
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
One more push-up,Please!

Quote:
the offer still stands, come up for the Lower sioux thanksgiving powwow, you can stay with me
My man, I'm still thinkin hard about it.
I'm a much safer roommate , now that I'm married , Huh?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Quote:
My man, I'm still thinkin hard about it.
I'm a much safer roommate , now that I'm married , Huh?
no, its the opposite, back then I knew you wouldn't be in the room
Old 10-11-2008, 01:57 AM   #16
REZIN RIDE

Items Elephant
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 3rd tipi on the left just past the broken down car and the pack of rez dogs chasing horse's
Credits: 200.00
Quote:
ok now i want to know the whole story about Lsalt.
Quote:

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
RezinInc

stillrezin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #17
REZIN RIDE

Items Elephant
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 3rd tipi on the left just past the broken down car and the pack of rez dogs chasing horse's
Credits: 200.00
Quote:
yeppers.

i am taking new orders now. i found me that huge chicken from the 'spirit world', the one they seen on Young Gun's.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
RezinInc

stillrezin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
Fancy Dancer

Sugarbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 968.51
Red face Wela'lin

does anyone know the name of the place in Manitoba that sell the hackles. my friend mentioned it to me one day, but i cant remember the name i think it starts with an S lol
Sugarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Fancy Dancer

Sugarbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 968.51
Anyone know any places here in Canada that sell hackles in bulk? Possibly with bright colors and good lengths too? Been doing it with Crazy Crow but its getting too costly especially when it comes to the border.
Sugarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links