Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Need Info on Prarie Chicken Dancing Need Info on Prarie Chicken Dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
Savings: 0.00
Need Info on Prarie Chicken Dancing

'Siyo, folks!

My cuz wants information about Prarie Chicken dancing. He would like to find out more; specifically, the history and what Nations currently dance it, who has the right to, etc... I searched the Web and couldn't come up with too much.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Wado!

Sa Mi
tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
tslag,

If you're Siksika, take tobacco to Eldon Weasel Child. He is Siksika also and has made presentations about the origin of Prairie Chicken Dance.

Or,

Give tobacco to Louis Soup, Ray Black Water or Jason Good Striker. All three of them are Kainai (Blood) from Alberta and have knowledge of the origin and history of the Prairie Chicken Dance.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

whalawitsagirl is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 40.00
Question chicken dancers

I Thought Chicken Dancers Originated From The Paific North West And Then Spread Out Toward Canada And The Plains. And There Are More Than 2 Dunk And Dive Songs But From What I Understand The Elders Have To Sing Them.
whalawitsagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Smile I Like To Hear Words From ...

I'D LIKE TO HEAR WHAT JASON GOOD STRIKER HAS TO SAY.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalawitsagirl
I Thought Chicken Dancers Originated From The Paific North West And Then Spread Out Toward Canada And The Plains. And There Are More Than 2 Dunk And Dive Songs But From What I Understand The Elders Have To Sing Them.
__

whalaw,

The origin of the (prairie) Chicken Dance came from the prairie/plains. The round bustle dance is a similar style of dance but originated in the Pacific Northwest as you have stated. Both dance styles are similar but have different origins.

There is undoubtedly a debate on who originated the duck and dive - the Nez Perce' or Crow. Both tribes have stories as to it's origin and why they do it.

If you want to know what Jason has to say... go to the annual summer Kainai powwow in Standoff, Alberta where he emcees, and ask him? He will be located under the banner that reads "Home of the Chicken Dance."

Last edited by WhoMe; 02-09-2005 at 05:57 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

Talking really?

well i'll have to go to that then. and when is that pow-wow? i' will make it a point to go there and ask him all these questions. too bad you can't get him to answer these for himself huh! under "HOME OF THE CHICKEN DANCER" huh?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
Talking

I'd like to meet those gentlemen, but I live in Oakland, CA now.. Anybody got thier address-I'm kidding....

Well, thanks for the info-I'll remember those names and hopefully bump into them sometime on the powwow trail...

Thanks for the feedback-back to the drawing board, innit??
tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Junior Dancer

Talking hey there 49 king

well hey there 49 king how are you today? so i've asked some elders around here and they have informed me that yes the round bustle was started around here but it was seen by other tribes and went from here and spread out into chicken dance. what do you think oh great one?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
well hey there 49 king how are you today? so i've asked some elders around here and they have informed me that yes the round bustle was started around here but it was seen by other tribes and went from here and spread out into chicken dance. what do you think oh great one?
__

Whala:

So are there lot's of prairie chickens there in the pacific northwest?

what do you think o' wise one?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

Talking Well Grasshopper

Well Not Alot But That's Because You Can;t Jsut Put On An Outfit And Say Your A Chicken Dancer Or Round Bustel You Have Ot Know The History And Meaning Behind The Various Parts Of The Outfit But That Goes With Every Tribe Right?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Question

Quote:
Well Not Alot But That's Because You Can;t Jsut Put On An Outfit And Say Your A Chicken Dancer Or Round Bustel You Have Ot Know The History And Meaning Behind The Various Parts Of The Outfit But That Goes With Every Tribe Right?
__

Sensay,

In a perfect world, this would probably be true.

But in the real world,

there are plenty of people who wear Indian dance cloths and don't know the history and meaning of why and where it began.

Is this a prerequisite to dancing?

Do you dance?

Last edited by WhoMe; 02-15-2005 at 05:56 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

Smile Well Grasshopper

Well That Is True But When It Comes To Certain Dance Catagories Such As Your Traditional And Grass And Fancy, Both Men And Women, Yea People Have A Tendency To Just Wear Whatever And Don't Care To Hear Or Learn The History Behind It But I Was Raised To Learn, Understand And Resect The History Behind The Items So I Can Wear It With Pride And Diginity. And Yes, I Do Dance On Occasion.

Do You Dance 49 King?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Wink quit it!

U two are funny!

Hey Whala...what is a 'dunk and dive'? is that like dunk n doughnuts cuz i want some..LOL...

Hey...ask shawn scabbyrobe about the prarie chicken dance...I believe the orgin of his style is plains..blackfeet...blackfoot..whatever

Then Terry Hemesah(sp) I believe that his style is 'dunk n divin' plateau orgin...

two totally different styles...both respectable in its own manner...

heard in siimnash they had an 'old style vs. contemp' chicken style thing? there is a topic for discussion...what do u think of that???

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
:638And Diginity. And Yes, I Do Dance On Occasion.

Do You Dance 49 King?
___

Sure I dance.

I Pole Dance at the Red Horse Cafe!

Come check me out sometime. Bring yo' dollars!

__

tiBBy,

Dunk n Divin'...

Too funny!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #15
Junior Dancer

Talking Well I'm Glad Some1 Finds Me Funny

Well Finaly Some One Finds Me Hilarious. I Can Live Yet Again. Well Thank You For That Anyways I Guess I'm Not A Modest Indian Girl I Get In The Face And Say What I Think. And As Far As The Plains Vs. The Pacific People I Think They Are All Awesome. I Know When I Travel To The South People Are Really Interested In That Particlar Style Of Dancing. But I'd Have To Go With The Ole School Style. What Do You Prefer?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

Talking I Got A Hand Full Of Dolla' Bills Y'all

So It's Strickly Pole Dancing Huh? You'll Just Have To Explaine In Vivid Details On That Origin. Do You Take Rolls Of Quarters? :blush01:
Old 02-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #17
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Unhappy

THAZ JUST IT!! THERE IS NO CONTEMP STYLE! lol...the chiggen dance IZ an old style of dance...the duck and dive from the plateau tribes is an old song for round bustle (chiggin) dancers...NEWAYZ its pointless to raise the question of where the chicken dance originated from because Plains or Plateau...they both have roots to this particular style of dancing..to say one is more original than the other is just plain wrong

LMAO..WHO ME U NUT!!! Yes....lets here your story on that pole dancing...haha..this should be interesting...is that a KIOWA dance? hee,hee..

Quote:
Well Finaly Some One Finds Me Hilarious. I Can Live Yet Again. Well Thank You For That Anyways I Guess I'm Not A Modest Indian Girl I Get In The Face And Say What I Think. And As Far As The Plains Vs. The Pacific People I Think They Are All Awesome. I Know When I Travel To The South People Are Really Interested In That Particlar Style Of Dancing. But I'd Have To Go With The Ole School Style. What Do You Prefer?

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #18
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Talking

tiBBs and whalaw:

According Steve Stops on Time (who shared this legend with me)...

At the beginning of time there were two sacred poles. One was the sacred North Pole, and the other was the sacred South Pole. Each pole kept the earth balanced.

The Sacred North Pole was located somewhere between Nespelem and Toppenish. The Sacred South Pole was located somewhere between Spokane and Owyhee. hehehe!

First man came spinning down the sacred north pole and first woman came spinning down the sacred south pole. The met somewhere in the middle and created the "knock, knock dance" whence, came a whole tribe of knock, knock dancers.

This new tribe replenished the earth with human beings as we know them today.

I know this to be true because Steve Stops on Time told me he was told this story by a medicine man who charged him $100 to attend a sweat.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #19
Junior Dancer

Talking Lmao

I Laughed So Hard At Your Story. I Cryed And My Stomach Hurt For Like An Hour. But Yeah I Think I Have Seen That Sacred Pole.... In Soap Lake Or Was It George, Maybe It Was It Was Georgeville. Steve Stops Huh? Well I'll Have To Ask Him Too.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #20
Junior Dancer

Talking i dunno

i think his a belly dancer not even a pole dancer what do you think tibby?