Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Need Info on Prarie Chicken Dancing Need Info on Prarie Chicken Dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #21
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking

"According Steve Stops on Time (who shared this legend with me)...

At the beginning of time there were two sacred poles. One was the sacred North Pole, and the other was the sacred South Pole. Each pole kept the earth balanced.

The Sacred North Pole was located somewhere between Nespelem and Toppenish. The Sacred South Pole was located somewhere between Spokane and Owyhee. hehehe!

First man came spinning down the sacred north pole and first woman came spinning down the sacred south pole. The met somewhere in the middle and created the "knock, knock dance" whence, came a whole tribe of knock, knock dancers.

This new tribe replenished the earth with human beings as we know them today.

I know this to be true because Steve Stops on Time told me he was told this story by a medicine man who charged him $100 to attend a sweat."

Man, WhoMe, that's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #22
Junior Dancer

whalawitsagirl is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 40.00
Talking that was funny huh?

That Was Funny Huh? I Like Thoes Kinds Of Storites What's Your Story? Funny Or Not? Share With Me. I Like Your Avitar. That's Cool
Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #23
Gettin Dat Chicken On...

darkwaterlum is a jewel in the rough
can I get some of that as well....

I have been trying to get some information too, been unsuccessful. the most that I have found is the two different origins as well..I have seen the difference in styles of dance, but would love to get someone's input on everything that is from either one/both of those areas...I have heard you have to be adopted into a certain society, then I know other dancers that just picked it up on the powwow trail..I have seen different types of bustles as well, the full-filled and the round bustles, ranging from pheasant, turkey, hawk,eagle feathers..Maybe its the preference of the dancer..? I dont really know the rule of thumb on this one..can someone shine some light for me...
darkwaterlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #24
Junior Dancer

Talking I Hear That Too

I've Hear Of The Socities But It's Like A Tree In The Forest And A Man Puttin Down A Toilet Seat... I Hear It But Never See It. Have You Seen It?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:16 PM   #25
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalawitsagirl
I've Hear Of The Socities But It's Like A Tree In The Forest And A Man Puttin Down A Toilet Seat... I Hear It But Never See It. Have You Seen It?

...goot point

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #26
Junior Dancer

Question thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brown Eyed Gurl~
...goot point
thanks hope some gets back to me about the super secret society thing tho cuz i kinda wanna know now.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #27
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiBBy
heard in siimnash they had an 'old style vs. contemp' chicken style thing? there is a topic for discussion...what do u think of that???
No that's not what happened. There was a tie in the Chicken Dance/Round Bustle Special and the two dancers that danced off were very different from each other. Shawn Scabbyrobe took it cuz he's an awesome dancer.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #28
siksika

djaaron319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Prarie Chicken Dance

undefinedundefined
Oki tsa niitapiiwa, I am siksika and From what i am told that the prarie chicken dance was origin to our people it was a old warroirs dance .. The round bustle game into play long time ago when kids came back from haskel thats where it started it at the round bustle but the prarie chicken dance is a blackfoot dance ... dance among all 3 bands of blackfoot.. yeah if u really want to know the stories it would be to ask thoughs guys from siksika, kainai or peigan in alberta or someone older from browning ... Joe Sam Scabby Robe would be another good person to ask .. the crow have there own version of the prarie chicken dance it is different from our blackfoot dance style though... and i think u cant judge old style with contemp.. because the old style is the real style and contemp i think is for thoughs who can't dance old style ayez ... lol jks i just think u can't judge them against each other... there are to seperate.. and I also think alot of judges today don't know how to judge chicken dance because they always picking these guys that don't keep there feet moving and they don't dance to the movement of the prarie chicken they way it is suppose to be done... aight thats all ....kitakitakmahtsin
djaaron319 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #29
Junior Dancer

Thumbs up very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaaron319
undefinedundefined
Oki tsa niitapiiwa, I am siksika and From what i am told that the prarie chicken dance was origin to our people it was a old warroirs dance .. The round bustle game into play long time ago when kids came back from haskel thats where it started it at the round bustle but the prarie chicken dance is a blackfoot dance ... dance among all 3 bands of blackfoot.. yeah if u really want to know the stories it would be to ask thoughs guys from siksika, kainai or peigan in alberta or someone older from browning ... Joe Sam Scabby Robe would be another good person to ask .. the crow have there own version of the prarie chicken dance it is different from our blackfoot dance style though... and i think u cant judge old style with contemp.. because the old style is the real style and contemp i think is for thoughs who can't dance old style ayez ... lol jks i just think u can't judge them against each other... there are to seperate.. and I also think alot of judges today don't know how to judge chicken dance because they always picking these guys that don't keep there feet moving and they don't dance to the movement of the prarie chicken they way it is suppose to be done... aight thats all ....kitakitakmahtsin

insitfull. i kinda agree with you. i was told by late Leander George that when dance you must move all your body. that means your arms and feet and head and shloulders,knees and toes. no wait that's the song. but yea i get what your saying. i'll ask thes people if i ever cross pathes wit them.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #30
Junior Dancer

Thumbs up :1244:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya
No that's not what happened. There was a tie in the Chicken Dance/Round Bustle Special and the two dancers that danced off were very different from each other. Shawn Scabbyrobe took it cuz he's an awesome dancer.

YOU REALLY SEEM TO LIKE SHAWN SCABBY ROBE. YOU WOULDN'T HAPPENT TO KNOW HIM WOULD YOU? B-CUZ THE ONLY ONE I KNOW IS MATT. BUT STILL HE IS A G'OOT DANCER
Old 02-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #31
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalawitsagirl
YOU REALLY SEEM TO LIKE SHAWN SCABBY ROBE. YOU WOULDN'T HAPPENT TO KNOW HIM WOULD YOU? B-CUZ THE ONLY ONE I KNOW IS MATT. BUT STILL HE IS A G'OOT DANCER
Yep he's a nice young man and dances awesome. I'm friends with the family but more so with the Mom and Dad.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #32
Junior Dancer

Keen

Oh Right On! They Are A Good Family I Think Neways
Old 02-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #33
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
Shawn Scabbyrobe ROX and he is a cool person too! Yes..

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #34
Junior Dancer

Talking Yes Very Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiBBy
Shawn Scabbyrobe ROX and he is a cool person too! Yes..

HEY SORRY I CAN'TCHAT ON YAHOO BUT I CAN CHECK E-MAILS IN THIS LINE SO I GUESS THAT'S GOOD ENUF RIGHT
SO U TOLD OLE 49 KING WHO I WAS . THAT'S COOL U DIDN'T LIKE CALL KEV AND TELL HIM I SECRETLY LOVE HIM. NOT YET NEWAYS. TELL HIM I'LL HAVE THE REST OF HIS KIDS. AYES. I MAKE MYSELF LAUGH
Old 02-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #35
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
Man, there's a lot of great info on this thread-thanks! I live in CA and don't really have any way to contact the folks mentioned here. I'll just direct my cuz here and he can sort it all out for himself. Afterall, he's the dancer here and I'm the Singer, so I'll let him do all the hard work himself from here on out... :) Thanks again, esp. to the Siksika folks on the board.... Hopefully I'll find my way up there to the Rez before too long...
tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #36
Junior Dancer

Talking hope we helped

Well I Hope We Helped Somewhat I Think I Was A Tad Bit Of A Smartazz About The Reply's Toward Whome The 49 King, But I'm Sure He Has A Good Sense Of Humor About It All And Hey If You Ever Need To Ask Or Your Cuz Send'em This Way If I Don't Know Anything I'll Make It Up As I Go.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #37
Void

dancingfancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool re: Chicken dance..

Your cousins' just starting out? Cool!
dancingfancy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #38
Fancy Dancer

Red Drum is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I'm part Lenape (also known as Delaware), from Pennsylvania. My Pop has this book about the Lenapes and one of the old dance styles they have in there is the Chicken Dance. Unfortunately, traditional Lenape dances aren't really in existence anymore thanks to the whites kicking most of the Lenapes out of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, lower New York, and Delaware, back in the old days. Sorry if I sound a little bitter. Just thought it was an interesting fact.

-Red Drum
Fancy Dancin' and Singin'
Red Drum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #39
Who's grandson.

Steve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 583.00
Grandpa you should get the story straight!

Last edited by Steve StopsOnTime; 05-07-2005 at 04:52 PM..
Steve StopsOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #40
Who's grandson.

Steve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 583.00
Grandpa you should get your story straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
tiBBs and whalaw:

According Steve Stops on Time (who shared this legend with me)...

At the beginning of time there were two sacred poles. One was the sacred North Pole, and the other was the sacred South Pole. Each pole kept the earth balanced.

The Sacred North Pole was located somewhere between Nespelem and Toppenish. The Sacred South Pole was located somewhere between Spokane and Owyhee. hehehe!

First man came spinning down the sacred north pole and first woman came spinning down the sacred south pole. The met somewhere in the middle and created the "knock, knock dance" whence, came a whole tribe of knock, knock dancers.

This new tribe replenished the earth with human beings as we know them today.

I know this to be true because Steve Stops on Time told me he was told this story by a medicine man who charged him $100 to attend a sweat.
Grandpa, you know Steve be an oral tradition person and you KNOW you didn't pay for the story, so it isn't yours to give. That would be why you got the story wrong.

It wasn't the "knock knock dance," it was Knock Knock Jokes. It wasn't "knock knock dancers," it was knock kneed dancers.

Aho, Steve has spoken...
Steve StopsOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links