Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing new dancer here new dancer here

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
armyboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation new dancer here

Hi, I just seen my first pow wow like last week and I got really interested in grass and fancy dancing. I wanted to know if there were any useful places or people where I can learn how to do the dances.
armyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
how about from your tribe?
how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
HONOR THY CHILDREN
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

im not part of a tribe, I was just at a scouting confrence and they had a native american dance competition and I watched it for like 3 hours and got really interested in it.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
wow
HONOR THY CHILDREN
Old 08-10-2004, 11:41 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

"wow" being good or bad ?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:50 PM   #6
ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

would i be correct in assuming you are not an ndn?
HONOR THY CHILDREN
Old 08-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

correct
Old 08-11-2004, 10:41 AM   #8
Teen Dancer

bwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Armyboy5,

Please excuse the length of my post.

First of all, I assume by your posts that you are a Boy Scout and have recently been exposed to Fancy and Grass Dancing through the scouts, more specifically, the OA.

Don't be suprised if you get some off color remarks regarding your quest for knowlege. It is completely understandable. Historically, Boy Scouts have been known for taking, stealing, and, shall I dare say, making a mockery of native ways.

I'm not bashing the Boy Scouts. I can't, because I am involved in the Boy Scout program myself. However, we, as a group, are still fighting to overcome the old "Ben Hunt" Indian lore mythologies that have been long taught in the scouting movement.

I am familiar with the conference which you recently attended. I was there. I travel around to a lot of powwows, both native and non-native. Sometimes I dance, sometimes I don't, depending on where I am and the feelings and wishes of the committee. However, I'm always there to learn.

There are some very knowlegable people involved in the Boy Scouts. Conferences like the one you just attended are a good way to gain some invaluable information. There are other seminars and scout gatherings that you may want to also attend. Go to local powwows to WATCH and learn. Learn the right ways, and what is being done now.

As I said before, the Boy Scouts have long had a negative history with regard to the use of Native American lore in their program. However, I think that through time and teaching, these old "Ben Hunt" ways are diminishing. I judge the success of the scouting program (with regard to dance outfits or regalia) by the improvement in the young beginners.

At the national conference, the top dancers prove that they should be there through their knowlege, respect, dance ability and overall quality of their regalia. Most in the top ten of all of the dance styles have the moves and the outfits to compete outside the Boy Scout arena.

However, it seems over the last several years, that the more inexperienced dancers have made tremendous improvements in outfits and dance ability. Therefore, it appears to me, that the whole Boy Scout thing is improving. This is attributable to all the time and effort of those trying to teach the right way to do things.

I can't stress the respect hard enough. Non-natives, including Boy Scouts, are not trend setters. Boy Scouts and non-natives that wish to dance this way, must do so, even in the Boy Scout programs with respect. A lot of time and effort should go into the research and construction of an outfit. I've seen some scouts wearing stuff that was never, and probably never will be, Native American. On the other hand, like I said before, I've seen those that had the VERY NICE clothes, dance moves and respectful attitude to go with it.

Sorry I've been so long winded, but if you do get involved, please ask permission before dancing in powwows. I've been told no, told I could dance grand entry and intertribals only, or allowed full participation. Don't get mad if you can't participate. Relax and watch.

Hope I was a little help. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:09 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

oh, I agree with you that there should be a good time preparing. I watched the dance competition for 3 hours trying to learn as much as I can so I can better understand the dances. I noticed the difference between some of the dancers styles and regalia and atitudes during the whole thing. I should be going to a Pow wow in the next few weeks here in NY so I can learn even more and hopefully speak to some of the dancers and get a right start. Im not going to bother with regalia at the moment until I fully know everything about the dances and know that I wont be making a mokery of it Im just learning and observing now.
Sponsored Links