Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Problem with "Spike Bunching" Problem with "Spike Bunching"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
WE ARE MAGNUS THE AMPLE

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
The Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 737.76
Savings: 0.00
Problem with "Spike Bunching"

Hey all, me again.

I've owned four sets of fancy bustles over my lifetime, and with each I've always had the same problem: the bases of the quill extenders (where they're tied to the backboard) always move toward the center, bunch up, and wind up on top of each other.

It doesn't affect the appearance of the bustle past maybe four inches from the backboard... but it does seem to make the bustle swing hard one way or the other when I spin - a large rosette in the middle prevents one side from folding over the other.

In photos, videos, and in person, I've noticed most modern bustles are completely evenly spaced right up to the backboard and in a perfect circle, like in this photo from GON http://www.gatheringofnations.com/ph...ay17%20(2).htm

Question is, what might I be doing wrong? I've tried spacing the ends farther apart and closer together, tying down every three and five spikes, using bigger and smaller boards... and just can't get it right. How do you guys set up your backboards, ties, and anything else so the spikes are evenly spaced on the backboard?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
Hey all, me again.

I've owned four sets of fancy bustles over my lifetime, and with each I've always had the same problem: the bases of the quill extenders (where they're tied to the backboard) always move toward the center, bunch up, and wind up on top of each other.

It doesn't affect the appearance of the bustle past maybe four inches from the backboard... but it does seem to make the bustle swing hard one way or the other when I spin - a large rosette in the middle prevents one side from folding over the other.

In photos, videos, and in person, I've noticed most modern bustles are completely evenly spaced right up to the backboard and in a perfect circle, like in this photo from GON http://www.gatheringofnations.com/ph...ay17%20(2).htm

Question is, what might I be doing wrong? I've tried spacing the ends farther apart and closer together, tying down every three and five spikes, using bigger and smaller boards... and just can't get it right. How do you guys set up your backboards, ties, and anything else so the spikes are evenly spaced on the backboard?

without seeing what your setup is like, I can only offer general suggestions. The easiest solution is "the donut". This is a round, thick, object that sits underneath the rosette, in fact the rosette is tied through the donut to the backboard. the bottom of the extenders then "encircle" the donut and maintain that shape. I am currently using JIF peanut butter lids as donuts on my backboards now.

there are other solutions but this may be the easiest and without seeing the problem.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
WE ARE MAGNUS THE AMPLE

The Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
without seeing what your setup is like, I can only offer general suggestions. The easiest solution is "the donut". This is a round, thick, object that sits underneath the rosette, in fact the rosette is tied through the donut to the backboard. the bottom of the extenders then "encircle" the donut and maintain that shape. I am currently using JIF peanut butter lids as donuts on my backboards now.

there are other solutions but this may be the easiest and without seeing the problem.
Thanks Iowa Boy for the detailed description of the donut; I'd heard of it in passing, but until now I didn't really know exactly what it was. Seems like a pretty good idea and I'll try it on the set I'm making now.

Unfortunately I never had the presence of mind to take a photo of the problem, and now those bustles are gone (I give them away every few years to younger dancers in my community as graduation gifts). Hopefully they're wrapped around donuts looking good and sharp
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
Thanks Iowa Boy for the detailed description of the donut; I'd heard of it in passing, but until now I didn't really know exactly what it was. Seems like a pretty good idea and I'll try it on the set I'm making now.

Unfortunately I never had the presence of mind to take a photo of the problem, and now those bustles are gone (I give them away every few years to younger dancers in my community as graduation gifts). Hopefully they're wrapped around donuts looking good and sharp
Also you may try changing the lacing at the bottom of your spike. Depending on how many spikes you have and the size of your backboards. I use a coat hanger wire that I wrapped around an object to get a perfect circle. Then thread the spikes loops on the circle in order. After you have them all on the wire circle, tape the circle closed. Now, in essence you have all your spikes on a "ring". Tie the ring to the backboard.
The spikes will never overlap or bunch-up again.
As Iowaboy said, there are several ways depending on your set-up.
Keep Calm and Ruffle on!
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
or it could be simply that the loops at the bottoms of the extenders are too loose, they need to be tight, just enough room to let the lacing through and no more.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
WE ARE MAGNUS THE AMPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsalt View Post
Also you may try changing the lacing at the bottom of your spike. Depending on how many spikes you have and the size of your backboards. I use a coat hanger wire that I wrapped around an object to get a perfect circle. Then thread the spikes loops on the circle in order. After you have them all on the wire circle, tape the circle closed. Now, in essence you have all your spikes on a "ring". Tie the ring to the backboard.
The spikes will never overlap or bunch-up again.
As Iowaboy said, there are several ways depending on your set-up.
Keep Calm and Ruffle on!
You know... I'd never considered using something solid like hanger wire for the base lacing. That's a great idea. I might even combine that with the donut; I like the donut because it gives you a 3-D surface to mount things along the side as well as the face. Might try making the donut into a mini inner bustle. I'll post pics if I go through with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,369.70
I've used the solid ring method too - it keeps things in order, but I prefer to roll my bustles up for storage/transport. I've been using four (three works ok too) sets of ties to attach my bustle to the backboard. I divide the number of spikes into fourths (or thirds) and anchor them as sets to the backboard, with a tie for each set. Simply put, each quarter of each bustle has it's own lacing to the backboard. Voila!