Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing Spinners or Rockers? Spinners or Rockers?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 04:47 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Spinners or Rockers?

Just curious...

All you fancy dancers out there, which do you prefer; spinners or rockers for your roach feathers.

As for me, I like the rockers when indoors. Outside, especially when there's a breeze, I like the spinners.

Anyone have any tips to make a really good rocker?

Brad
bwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2001, 05:15 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

gdFancy182 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was wondering the same thing

the problem I'm having is getting either one to work the way i'd like it to.

I made a rocker from scatch, and it came out ok, but you really needed to move your head for it to rock back, (the weight kept it forward).

What I can't figure out about the rocker is how to take the feathers on and off without destroying the inside of the feather. Once the pith is gone there is really nothing keeping the feathers on the rocker.

I've seen guys tape them on, and wrap them to match their outfits, but I need to take them off inorder to transport my outfit.

I think the spinner is easier to take the feathers on and off so you can store and transport them seperately. But what I don't like about the spinner is the hap-hazard look it has. I like outfits with nice clean designs. straight lines, sharp looking beadwork, etc. Having your roach feathers going everywhich way doesn't look sharp to me.

Also, the spinner to me doesn't move to the drum the way a rocker would.

Hope i helped.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:55 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

NDN Princess 2001 is on a distinguished road
Rockers, definitely.:2: :Jumping: :Crazy :Eyepopper :Naughty
NDN Princess 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2001, 03:55 AM   #4
sPeK_FancyDancer

Exclamation Rockers rock

I love my rocker and thats all i gotta say about that, i like the way it bounces with the music rather than a spinner
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

serapin is an unknown quantity at this point
rockers
serapin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

White Horse is an unknown quantity at this point
rocker

My rocker was passed down to me by a good friend. He in the past was a champion fancy dancer in the days of RG. Many times I get asked how is it able to move like it does with little effort. I just tell them it was gifted to me. I just wear a rocker regardless of outside or inside just because I've been taught a southern fancy dancer wears a rocker and a northern wears spinners. I've heard it no other way. :mrcool: :mrcool: :mrcool:

Last edited by White Horse; 09-09-2004 at 04:25 PM..
White Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
gawk where's the gun Gawk

MAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer rockers as long as they use rubberbands , the spring one's never looked that good to me and some say they never work. spinners can move to the beat if you know how to get them to . if you let the chain loose and get somewhat smaller feathers they'll spin in circles to the beat . it'skinda something I use in tradish dancing. but yeah for fancy rockers all the way

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young
MAROONDANCER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
Cali4Nia

FancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond reputeFancyLBC has a reputation beyond repute
Rockin' all the way

Personally i like to see rockers on fancydancers, no doubt, but i've seen some really good dancers with spinners and they look real good. As for me i have both rocker and spinners and i usually sport out my rocker at either a contest song or most of the time at a contest powwow, but my spinners come out at intertribal powwows were i dont have to show so much movement and just hang out. As for how to store and put on feathers on a rocker, i have a strip of sinew through my feather right under the webbing, i stick my feather on the wire then i tape it down, in the bottom of the tape my two strings are secured by the tape.
FancyLBC is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #9
Teen GurlZ

lil_powwow_hunnie will become famous soon enough
ROCKERS!!!! :Hammer

~*LiL MizZ JiNgLe StyLeZ*~

JUSS SING ME A REAL SUHWEET ROUNDANCE SONG & IM URZ 4EVA BABE
:24:
lil_powwow_hunnie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

Bingo_Orphan is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 70.00
Rockers

George Alexander made mine and still use it to this day. And I figure his style of dancing is what I and many other people would consider to be true southern fancy dance. And I try to keep to the dance's roots by always keeping in mind that Oklahoma is where the dance came from. I've never used spinners because they don't move the same way a fancy dancer moves. You don't notice spinners on a fancy dancer the same way you see rockers. Rockers look cool as hell when a good dancer is cruising to a psychotically fast song! It looks more a part of the dancer.
Bingo_Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

OneidaLuv77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 190.00
you aint a fancy dancer unless you use a ROCKER if you wanna wear spinners, go tradish. or spin ur azz to okla to see some real fancy dancers.
OneidaLuv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2004, 07:25 AM   #12
cherokee_grassdance9

cherokee_grassdance9 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 458.33
rocker

when i wach fancy dancers i think roackers look better
cherokee_grassdance9 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
Southern Cheyennes of O.K

SaltRiver Cheyennes is on a distinguished road
Credits: 230.00
southern Rockkerz

You really should make your own..although i would like a couple of my favorite dancers to make me a sweet rocker. The reason I think you should construct your own rocker is because it is a right of passage into the fancy world...or at least it should be. They ain't all that easy to do ...but neither is the dance. But nothing is more hard hitting than a rip roaring rocker nsync with a good southern bullet song. My dad has always said that fancy dancing is like a cowboy on a bull ... ''when you get a good bull (song) ride it real hard,hold on real tight and ride to victory!'' The applause will let you know how ya really did. But ain't nothing like a real nice rocker making you look goot!
SaltRiver Cheyennes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
Dancer

lilmarty has a spectacular aura about
Rockers all the way. Make your own as a right of passage SaltRiver Cheyennes...I would say making your own bustles is the right of passage...talk about patience. As for rockers I am fortunate that my little brother can weld...made a sweet rocker that works better than anything I have every purchased or made myself.
lilmarty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53
Spinners!!! for sure
With the natural bend in the tail feathers, it cuts the air and dances a storm. It is also pretty cool when your not dancing or during a prayer or honor song. the feathers dance the wind without you.
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #16
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
bullet proof rocker

Boozhoo niji,

gdfancy182... you say you want a rocker where you can take the feathers on and off real easy, without risk of dropping one, i got your rocker.

The one I use, I bought from CCTP and yeah, its one of the spring loaded ones. I hated it, cause it rocked more side to side than back and forth. I took it apart, trashed the mechanism and kept the spreader ($50 worth of silver right?) I made a rocker out of coathangers a broomstick and rubberbands just like the plans in the fancy dance book you get at CCTP, with one little modification.

I bent loops in the coathanger at the right angle bend, at the base of the where the feathers are put on, so it looks sorta like this...

| |
b_ _d
#

(stupid thing aint gonna let me draw it the way I want, so this diagram looks messed up, gonna have to shoot a pic of mine and stick it in here so you can see what I am talking about I guess.)

The pith is gonna get destroyed inside your quills, there is nothing you can do about that. Tape is ok, but then you get the glue all over your feathers. So make your feathers like you would a spike for your bustles, use rawhide for the quill loop, and punch a hole through the center of it, use an awl. This is where your coathanger will push through. The rawhide will probably hold the feather on the rocker all by itself, but I dont trust that, so I take a piece of sinew, braided and waxed, and tie it through the quill loop and through the loop that I bent in the rocker. Tie a couple knots and thats not comming off there unless you want it too!

Also, if your rocker hangs in front of you and you keep wacking people with your feathers when you talk to them (I did) its a simple solution, provided you used the same rocker design that I did. Take one or two strands of the rubberband hooked up on the backside and loop them over the nub that bounces off them in the back, use just enough to hold the feathers up, will not mess with the rocking motion at all.

If the rocker aint working right, after you get it all put together, you might have to try different rubberbands (hair rubberbands really suck, dont know why though) doubling or tripling them, its all in the fine tuning. Also might help to tie a little weight on the rocker. I had to tie a 2 oz fishing weight on mine to get it to bounce nice.

The only thing I dont like about mine, is the fact that I still got to shake my head pretty good to get it to rock, either that or crow hop. There is probably too much friction with the coat hanger and wood in the broom handle. I am a mechanic, so I am gonna redesign this whole thing with that in mind. I am thinking about ball bearings and metal. Gonna build a prototype, probably still use rubberbands, because they are easy to adjust and replace, and when I get it dialed in I am gonna find a jeweler at the pow wow somewhere to make a spreader and rocker out of silver. I figure on it costinga pretty penny or many, but its worth it if it works, and does so consistantly for a long time.

Derek

Last edited by crazywolf; 12-09-2005 at 10:43 PM..
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolf
........Also, if your rocker hangs in front of you and you keep wacking people with your feathers when you talk to them (I did) ...

Dang Crazyw,

That's funneeeeeY! Comedy and Tragedy in one rocker!

gdfancy can save himself some $$ really easily. All it takes to make a "Killer Rocker" is some thick leather, wooden thread spool, a coat hanger and some standard-sized rubber bands.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

NavajoMexTrail is an unknown quantity at this point
Styles

I've been taught that Southern Fancy Dancers wear Rockers and Northern Fancy Dancers wear Spinners.
NavajoMexTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #19
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavajoMexTrail
I've been taught that Southern Fancy Dancers wear Rockers and Northern Fancy Dancers wear Spinners.

Yeah, that was kinda' true. . . back in the 80's. Proportionately this happened.

Nowadays, anything goes in this division.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #20
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
my rocker design

Boozhoo niji,

I finally blew the dust of my mavica and took this pic of my rocker and uploaded it. It shows the eye design I put into the wire to hold my feathers on tight.

Email me your questions.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
rocker.jpg  

Last edited by crazywolf; 03-07-2006 at 10:56 PM..
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links