Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Women at the drum
Yes. I support women who sing at the drum 107 47.14%
No. I do not support women who sing at the drum 120 52.86%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing All Women Drum Groups All Women Drum Groups

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #61
Monongahela

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bbais is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I don't have a problem with female drum groups. But I do have to agree with Sweetie on the traditions. We have to follow our teachings.
bbais is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 09:55 AM   #62
Pow Wow Visitor

HK tribes is an unknown quantity at this point
stopsno time,chief of the ignorants, Heck yeah I'd sit behind the women singers while you sit looking at the men in front of you like a real homo. I come from the land of the Kachina, talk about tradition. Also what's this gay talk about women knowing their role, what are you Iraqi. You are supposed to be native so adapt to world and keep the good parts of your tradition. I say good parts because back in the day natives used to sacrafice people to the sun. Keep thinking the way you do it'll be alright.(NOT!)
HK tribes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #63
Chi guy

frybread bandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK tribes
Let native women sing, they're just as good at singing, dancing, and fighting then the men are.(put it that way stopsno time)
:rofl2: What ever! Tha's just f'd up.
frybread bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #64
Pow Wow Visitor

I was just trying to say let the women stand beside men and not behind them. More native women are becoming the voice of the native americans. If you don't call that being a warrior, then tell me what you do.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #65
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=HK tribes]I was just trying to say let the women stand beside men and not behind them. QUOTE]

Hey, that would be a good idea. Didja ever see the long lines of women going to the restroom at large sporting events? Man, those lines would shorten up quickly if the women just stood beside the men at the urinal stalls. Great idea HK!!!
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #66
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,575.67
Talking

Quote:
stopsno time,chief of the ignorants, Heck yeah I'd sit behind the women singers while you sit looking at the men in front of you like a real homo. I come from the land of the Kachina, talk about tradition. Also what's this gay talk about women knowing their role, what are you Iraqi. You are supposed to be native so adapt to world and keep the good parts of your tradition. I say good parts because back in the day natives used to sacrafice people to the sun. Keep thinking the way you do it'll be alright.(NOT!)
___

Ding DING!

Ladies and gentile men and "everybody" else.

In our final bout of the evening, we have our MAIN EVENT featuring stevestopsnotime "from the Plains of Never Land" and HK T from the "Land of the Kachinas."

The winner of this event will get to chose what happens to the future of women sitting behind the drum, in the drum circ le and . . . what the heck . . . on the drum!

Would you please touch gloves and I want a clean match. No rabbit punching, deer kicking, buffalo stomping, mosquito scratching, alligator biting or grasshopper spittin'!

Ding DING!

___

*L

j/k

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-07-2004 at 01:45 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #67
Pow-Wow Singer

The_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbais
I don't have a problem with female drum groups. But I do have to agree with Sweetie on the traditions. We have to follow our teachings.
I agree.

I believe everything happens for a reason. We have teachings for a reason, it sets us apart from other races. Lets keep that.

*There are 2 sides to every coin!

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

The_HULK is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #68
Who's grandson.

Steve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 583.00
Cool You know HK

You know HK, if you want to change something, change something your people own. Your people know nothing of the tradition/ways of the big drum, the circle or the pow wow way.

Hell if you want to bring women's lib to the havisupi's tell those men you want to lead the donkey down the canyon.
Steve StopsOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2004, 10:25 AM   #69
Pow Wow Visitor

Hey genius, the word pow wow comes from the east coast natives. So tell me, is that your tradition. It's no wonder natives have not surpassed the whites and blacks, with natives that think the way you do.(brother)
Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #70
Who's grandson.

Steve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond reputeSteve StopsOnTime has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 583.00
Cool

Quote:
Hey genius, the word pow wow comes from the east coast natives. So tell me, is that your tradition. It's no wonder natives have not surpassed the whites and blacks, with natives that think the way you do.(brother)

I use the word "pow wow" because Steve be realizing you are a "pan indian," and I don't want to use any real Indian words that will just confuse you.

You know I didn't realize we were in a race?? The Creator put on Mother Earth to be poor humble people and well, that's what we are. Well some of us anyway.
Steve StopsOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #71
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Excuse me if I get back on track here...

Recently a woman explained why she sat at the drum. She simply stated that her husband loved to sing and at times it was just her and him, so she would sit and sing. They travelled with their children and it was a family group so their children both male and female sat at the drum. It was a Family group.....She did say how she respected the fact that the Drum is for the men, but her sitting down came out of the love for her family. I respect that.....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #72
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
yup... yup.. dat's true

I think that is the whole key ...... respect. You see how he didn't say right... wrong.. indifferent.. and said he can respect why she chose to do it. I think most people could respect that too. But some of these women groups are on some kind of a false power trip that is not respectful. Here is a women's drum that is highly incompentent but still they go out into the community and have some people believeing this is ok and how it is done. That is not respectful but is a damn crying shame. :(

Take a listen to this one and tell me this is right.

http://wabiwelai.tripod.com/

Photos on group site
http://groups.msn.com/BrendasCloset/shoebox.msnw
Old 10-12-2004, 09:02 PM   #73
Pow Wow Visitor

salishgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
I blame it on the damn womens movement! aye lol....but i was taught women dont sit at the drum nor beat it. I wont get into why or the tradition cuz i barely understand it. Not my place to say whats right or wrong.I just go with my heart and never questioned it.
salishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #74
Holla!

Bob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond reputeBob B Bob Firechief has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Where the sun meets the mountains and the hawk and eagle fly free
Those sites and photos can't be for real. It is just too bizarre. Not unless those people are on crack, then that may explain it.
Bob B Bob Firechief is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #75
Tiny Tot Dancer

FancyFemale49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House
Recently a woman explained why she sat at the drum. She simply stated that her husband loved to sing and at times it was just her and him, so she would sit and sing. They travelled with their children and it was a family group so their children both male and female sat at the drum. It was a Family group.....She did say how she respected the fact that the Drum is for the men, but her sitting down came out of the love for her family. I respect that.....
if ppl took the time to ask these women why they sing? well most likely they gona be answers like that one. i sing on a all womens drum. our elder gave us that drum and the songs to sing and his teachings. the red drum women society from down south had a ceremony for all us. a special one specifically for this reason. i can only pray for the people who tell me what i do is wrong.creator blessed me with this voice and either singin behind the men or at the big drum i will never stop singin because someone told me otherwise. egosani and meegwetch
FancyFemale49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2004, 09:20 PM   #76
Pow Wow Visitor

loosecannon is an unknown quantity at this point
100% Backup Behind Sweetie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'd Have To Give Shout Outz To The Drum Groups Who Respect The Way Of The Ojibways When They Participate At Our Powwows!!!!!
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2004, 01:52 PM   #77
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
I think that is the whole key ...... respect. You see how he didn't say right... wrong.. indifferent.. and said he can respect why she chose to do it. I think most people could respect that too. But some of these women groups are on some kind of a false power trip that is not respectful. Here is a women's drum that is highly incompentent but still they go out into the community and have some people believeing this is ok and how it is done. That is not respectful but is a damn crying shame. :(

Take a listen to this one and tell me this is right.

http://wabiwelai.tripod.com/

Photos on group site
http://groups.msn.com/BrendasCloset/shoebox.msnw

OMG Winyan, thats just sickening. They're all wannabees!

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2004, 03:16 PM   #78
Breath Inspector

eagleclan22 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFemale49
if ppl took the time to ask these women why they sing? well most likely they gona be answers like that one. i sing on a all womens drum. our elder gave us that drum and the songs to sing and his teachings. the red drum women society from down south had a ceremony for all us. a special one specifically for this reason. i can only pray for the people who tell me what i do is wrong.creator blessed me with this voice and either singin behind the men or at the big drum i will never stop singin because someone told me otherwise. egosani and meegwetch

It seems as though if you answer back to these types of things people will come knock you right away as some kind of wanna be, or fake. For realz... I know you girl and you know me and we know we aint. So keep yer head up high,.. and stand up for what you belive in. A lot of these people dont know what they are talking about, and powwow is the furthest extent of what they know of their culture.

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:
eagleclan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #79
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclan22
It seems as though if you answer back to these types of things people will come knock you right away as some kind of wanna be, or fake. For realz... I know you girl and you know me and we know we aint. So keep yer head up high,.. and stand up for what you belive in. A lot of these people dont know what they are talking about, and powwow is the furthest extent of what they know of their culture.
Eagleclan22,

I hope you are not referring to me. In Mato Winyan's post, I checked out that link and they are all white people there. *L*. (wannabees) Even though I may not follow the way of Anishinabe Ikwe sitting at the big drum, I know you are Anishinabe. I was not referring to you as wannabe or fake. :)

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #80
Breath Inspector

eagleclan22 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
Eagleclan22,

I hope you are not referring to me. In Mato Winyan's post, I checked out that link and they are all white people there. *L*. (wannabees) Even though I may not follow the way of Anishinabe Ikwe sitting at the big drum, I know you are Anishinabe. I was not referring to you as wannabe or fake. :)

No no Ojisweety.. I wasnt reffering to anyone in particular.

Just a lot of bashing happens in here and I find it a lil annoying b.c a lot of these people dont know what they are talking about, all they know is what they read in books, or what they've been told by their cousins husbands wife;s sister who actually attends ceremonies n stuff. Ive been raised this way.. I was born n raised on my rez, and all I know is Im sure of who I am so it dosent really matter what people say.. you know what I mean?

I know you got good intentions OjiSweety. But as for some others they seem to just follow what everyone else says, without even having a clue.

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:
eagleclan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links