Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing categories in GON categories in GON

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Drum Judge

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
103 has a reputation beyond repute
103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute103 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
categories in GON

My personal view of YOUTUBE about GON is that they need two categories for Northern Drumming today because of the Straight Singing and Contemporary Singing. High Noon was in GON and I think they got short change becasue they sing Straight songs and if they had a sing off with Bear Creek and Bear Creek sang a Contemporary Song and High Noon sang a Straight song, my question is how can you judge that with the different styles. But hats off for Cree Conferdation for placing 3rd
Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Pow Wow Beader

native_star1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i said the same thing !!!!

thats the only reason why i dont go to GON, because of the judging, that is a very big powwow, and i dont see how they can judge on dancers, either by popularity, or pity, , cause there are so many dancers that dance the same, and also stop on the last beat of the song, , , and that is very true about judgeing on the drummers !!!
native_star1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Lightbulb A Number of Powwows

Combine Northern styles of singing. Southern as well....Yes its tough to judge. It would be nice to see 4 categories.....I believe Indio did or does this. Northern Original, Northern Contemp, Southern Original, Southern Contemp.....

If they are combined you really have to fine tune your judging. Have to be very precise.

It makes me wonder just how singers of each style judge or see the other? I enjoy singing Northern Original and Contemp. I pretend to sing Southern.....LOL
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that the younger people prefer contemporary songs..... just because.

Older people like the oldstyle singing because thats what they grew up hearing.

In a combined style of contest, the winners will be determined by the ages of the judges.

Check it out sometimes. See if my theory has any weight to it. I did and I found that more often than not....... that's the way it turned out.

That's why, when I run a singing contest, I mix up the ages of the judges as well as the areas/nations that they come from.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Lightbulb Your not an Old Fart, Your Old School!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
I believe that the younger people prefer contemporary songs..... just because.

Older people like the oldstyle singing because thats what they grew up hearing.

In a combined style of contest, the winners will be determined by the ages of the judges.

Check it out sometimes. See if my theory has any weight to it. I did and I found that more often than not....... that's the way it turned out.

That's why, when I run a singing contest, I mix up the ages of the judges as well as the areas/nations that they come from.
I hear ya Ki....Variety is important....

A song has to be lively and upbeat....I think that makes a difference....Some groups shoot themselves right in the foot when they compete....Ovious Fo Pahs...LOL! The pressure is too much sometimes and folks usually crack under pressure....I've got some good stories....

I'm all over as usual....Have you ever noticed that 1 or 2 singers who sit with their back to the arena and are humming along at best? Sure can tell to especially if the volume all the way around is slanted....Some groups try to sneak a hummer in there from time to time....Geez...Too Obvious....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Brother of the Band.....

mrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond repute
ummm.......i'm pretty sure we sing str8 songs.....with the exception of songs made for individuals or veterans songs.....we sing all str8 songs
mrmnxcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links