Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing A.I.M. Song A.I.M. Song

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
Northern Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BLAZIN'OJIB is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
A.I.M. Song

This subject came up in an other thread...I just thought it would be interesting to hear where this song came from....so anyone that knows anything about this song, please share your thoughts and comments...lets here about the origin and so on.

Aho.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

fallendancer is an unknown quantity at this point
???

That is a good question? Where did that song originate? I seriously don't know, and sang that song numerous times.
fallendancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I heard it was a regular intertribal song and then when the s*** hit the fan in SD in the 70s they happened to be singing that song for the news cameras. Everyone thought it was an AIM song so it became associated with AIM.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

tradish 4 you is on a distinguished road
ok here is what i have been told It was written by sievert young bear from porcupine south dakota he is an oglala sioux and for many years was the lead singer of the porcupine singer

Anyhow yeah the song had been written just before the wounded knee thing so it was sorta fresh in a bunch of the guys minds so as a statement more or less of their indian identity they began to sing an indian song the news cameras and reporters soon assumed since they are indian and indians as we all know have a song for everything they called it the aim song

aims original intention was to be a society that cared for the people and made sure the people where alright ofcourse we all know that it turned into a militant society because of alot of youth and well conflict

so anyhow a week or so after the wounded knee thing porcupine singer where singing at a powwow and it was one of their new songs just written so they busted it out and in came all the aim people who recognized it with guns slung over their shoulders and it has just become more and more political since then

as far as it being used on the east coast i don't think there is a drum group that doesn't know how the song goes and depending on how bad the powwow is that you go to they will almost always ask for the song to be sung but when you hear it sung dance hard cause it is a good song but it is just an intertribal.

the song doesn't have any words its just a straight vocable song so thats all it is is an intertribal

peace out people
tradish 4 you is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
WOW tradish, you know some stuff.

Did you do a report in high school on this?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:47 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

tradish 4 you is on a distinguished road
haha nah dude i just know my stuff

i did do a few reports in school on the lakota though and the teachers ussually failed me cause i made the indians look like the heros instead of the government they didn't like that so much in us history i ended up teaching alot of my history classes on indians
tradish 4 you is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

ReZDoG is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a good song and all.. But people just played it out for me.. its "Expected" to be sung at every powwow here in New England hence its lost its true meaning..
Old 09-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #8
Tha ReZoNatEr

DaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond reputeDaBear23 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by ReZDoG
It's a good song and all.. But people just played it out for me.. its "Expected" to be sung at every powwow here in New England hence its lost its true meaning..
Yo..Ill have to disagree with you on that one Rez Dogg. IT has been played out but it feels soo damn good sometimes to sing it. Especially when the drums are put all together and every drum and singer is just blasting it!! There was this one time...in Bangor at that forum one day powow for the health thing from Indian Island....when muh group eastern star was down there...and we all sang it. That was beautiful...and when moments like dat pop up...the AIM song is way worth it to kick out. :Thumbs
DaBear23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #9
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,898.11
Savings: 1.00
Aaahhh...the AIM song, that's something I haven't heard since high school
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

ReZDoG is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DaBear23
Yo..Ill have to disagree with you on that one Rez Dogg. IT has been played out but it feels soo damn good sometimes to sing it. Especially when the drums are put all together and every drum and singer is just blasting it!! There was this one time...in Bangor at that forum one day powow for the health thing from Indian Island....when muh group eastern star was down there...and we all sang it. That was beautiful...and when moments like dat pop up...the AIM song is way worth it to kick out. :Thumbs
I agree.. It does feel good when its sung right.. on our rez, we have our chief and his drum that sings the sing, its a Perfect mix between the AIM song and the Peltier song.. I'm just tired if hearing the song being sung wrong..
Old 09-27-2003, 11:51 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

chappy is an unknown quantity at this point
speaking of the AIM song,

at fort hall idaho, i heard that someone requested that song and surprisenly alot of people dance.
i havent heard that song since i was young one. :o
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2003, 04:41 PM   #12
Fat Singer

http://www.ket.org/artstoolkit/music/lessonplan/137.htm

A link to Dennis Banks singing a Grass Dance song. It sounds alot like the AIM song.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:06 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

angkapp is an unknown quantity at this point
Long Haired Song

During one of his ceremonies, Martin High Bear asked the singers to sing that Long Haired Song, he said, you know the one the long hairs like. He told us that some of his helpers were the Long Hair people, they were about knee high and had really long hair: they love it when people sing and dance because we're happy then. We didn't know what song he was talking about and he kept talking, he said you know that one, you call it some thing else now a days, the aim song. Everyone knew what song he meant. We must have sang and danced in the darkness for about a half hour that night. I miss his ceremonies. He said that a small child first started singing that song and thats where it came from.
angkapp is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2003, 07:22 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Re: Long Haired Song

Quote:
Originally posted by angkapp
During one of his ceremonies, Martin High Bear asked the singers to sing that Long Haired Song, he said, you know the one the long hairs like. He told us that some of his helpers were the Long Hair people, they were about knee high and had really long hair: they love it when people sing and dance because we're happy then. We didn't know what song he was talking about and he kept talking, he said you know that one, you call it some thing else now a days, the aim song. Everyone knew what song he meant. We must have sang and danced in the darkness for about a half hour that night. I miss his ceremonies. He said that a small child first started singing that song and thats where it came from.
Oh you almost made me cry! I miss Martin and miss his ceremonies too. I used to drive for him cuz he needed help driving long distances. :)

Last edited by Kakeeya; 02-17-2005 at 08:08 PM..
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

angkapp is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah-how, Many megwetches for your words and sharing your memories. Those days are long gone but it's nice to talk about them with someone. It doesn't feel so lonely you know. I used to love it when Matin would say ah-how when he was listening to peoples prayers.
angkapp is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2003, 01:26 AM   #16
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
The Drum group that I sing with will always be asked to sing the AIM song at p/ws. We sing it as a closing song but only if the feeling is right. I find myself singing it at work when I am feeling down and by myself.

When my uncle, who was the Chief of our tribe, died a few years ago, I was singing the AIM song as we carried his casket to the grave site.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #17
Pow-wow Person

Ladyhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 170.40
At Fort Hall, The Eagle Whistle Drum sang the AIM song, by request. They made it sound pretty. It brought a lot of strength to the pow-wow. It left a good feeling for the journey home.
Ladyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 12:16 PM   #18
Justa Dreamer

Vision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
something i never understood, is why people Crowd the drum when you sing it. Lol it just never made no sense to me. Personally i just keep dancing while everyone else goes and crowds the drum...anyone else seen this...maybe someone can explain why they do this lol
Vision_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #19
Fat Singer

I guess everyone wants to help sing it since EVERYONE in the world knows it.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #20
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
I've been reading along too. I want to know the origin.

We used to sing this song alot back in the 70's. It was a feel-good song. All the women sang right along. I remember hearing 30-40 female voices backing up 15-20 guys. It had the feel. Everyone knew it.

Someone, please post the real deal.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links