Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing A.I.M. Song A.I.M. Song

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #21
Justa Dreamer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Vision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
I guess everyone wants to help sing it since EVERYONE in the world knows it.

lol well i guess that explains it then lol lol :D
Vision_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #22
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 0.00
Let me elaborate on my last post. I do notice that in the Northeast EVERYONE goes nuts when they sing the song. They crowd the drum, whooping and hollering like they are on the war path. I just sit there and say, "Oh god, here it goes" because it is usually the wackos who had not 1 thought of NDN stuff in their head in 1973. I admit I didnt. I was 2.

At a powwow up there a few years back someone asked us to sing it. There was an old lakota woman there who said it was OK. Otherwise we wouldnt have.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #23
Northern Singer

BLAZIN'OJIB is an unknown quantity at this point
A.I.M Song - The real deal

In response to kiwehnzii:

The AIM song came to Edward Benton-Banai of L.C.O. Wisconsin, C0-FOUNDER of the American Indian Movement in 1972. The song was first sung on the water drum of the Ojibwe People near Keewenaa Bay, Michigan.

This is the real deal. Since that time the song spread like wildfire and indian people everywhere began singing the song, and it became the anthem of Indian people and of the American Indian Movement.

Other songs have been composed and labelled the Aim Song but were not the "First Aim song."
Old 02-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #24
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,575.67
______

Blazin:

I have never heard your version of the origin of this song. Interesting!

Was this the same AIM song that Severt Youngbear composed? I have heard his composition referred to as a "medicine song." When the "medicine song" was requested, the "popular" AIM Song was rendered.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #25
Northern Singer

BLAZIN'OJIB is an unknown quantity at this point
who me:

Im not too sure of the song that you are reffering to, and our barrier is that we cannor hear the song that each other is talking about.

I do know that the song on videos like "Lakota Woman", Thunderheart etc. . . is the song composed by EBB.

Blazin'
Old 02-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #26
Leg Wrestling Champ!

rkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond repute
rkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 224.30
From what I've heard about the song it was (AIM) already around before (AIM) and there didn't happen to be many singers and it was the song that they happened to learn. So it became the AIM Song. go figure?
DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME
rkbtmeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #27
Teen Dancer

KeetersCAT has a reputation beyond repute
KeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond repute
I heard it was created when the crazy Red Lakers were having a REVOLUTION and burnin chit. AYE!;)

KeetersCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #28
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
I remember Leonard CrowDog saying that he was the one that made that song up. :dontknow:
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 AM   #29
Old Style Dancer

Black Eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is a year after the last posting on the subject, but I've got some info that may be of use. This comes from the book "Standing in the Light: A Lakota Way of Seeing" written by Severt Young Bear and R.D. Theisz (Bison Books printing 1996). Page 155 - "One of the most misunderstood or controversial songs during the AIM days was the AIM Song. The actual songmaker of that song is unknown; maybe it was Druiry Cook." "It was jsut a general powwow song with no words."

The authors recount an event in Gordon, Nebraska, then continue on page 156:

"The host committee requested a victory song. We thought about an appropriate song. We didn't know if AIM had a victory song or if Gordon had a victory song to commemorate the occasion. The only song that came to mind was that song (speaking of the "AIM Song"), so we pushed it up."

The story goes on, noting an AIM convention in Cass Lake, Minnesota where AIM leadership had requested the song sung at Gordon, NE to be sung and possibly to be adopted as the official AIM Song.

This is a pretty good book, and its been a while since I've read it. I would have mentioned it here sooner but I've been away for a long while and am just now getting back to the forums. I'm assuming Severt Young Bears biography would have an accurate reocunt of the song he sang, but I could be mistaken. If you want a good read, pick up the book.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #30
Gotta get dancin' again

rachelg196 has a spectacular aura about
interesting..

I am very interested in this whole thread. In the Bay Area, near San Francisco this song isn't sung at powwows. The last time i heard it sung was at my Grandmother's funeral. The time before that was after a powwow, my grandma wanted it sung by a particular drum group, and when it was sung, it went on for like 30 minutes. Everyone crowded the drum and I can just see her face and hear it in my head.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #31
Tokana_49

tokana_49 is a jewel in the rough
Talking A.I.M. song

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZIN'OJIB
This subject came up in an other thread...I just thought it would be interesting to hear where this song came from....so anyone that knows anything about this song, please share your thoughts and comments...lets here about the origin and so on.

Aho.
Here's how it really began: That particular tune was first heard at the Crow Fair in the early 70's and was sung by a singer from Lame Deer. don't have name(s), sorry! Then a group of singers who would later be called Red Earth converged into Denver for a powwow held by A.I.M. at some High School, AIM requested an honor song and we decided to sing that particular song. We sang it good and we sang it high and of course back in them days, the lady backup singers made it even better. so ever since then, that song was requested by AIM..and the rest is history. And that's the truth. Keep on Powwowing!! Additional Facts: Yes, there was an original song selected as the AIM song as stated to me by Eddie Benton; and that song was used in Cass Lake. However the second song was more poularized from that Denver powwow and I can't recall if Denver AIM sponsored that powwow then. Perhaps others can recall that one. Keep tabs for more tidbits as I do more recollecting. "Ya whey ya a ya....whey ah ya a ya"...Like dat?

Last edited by tokana_49; 02-22-2005 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Additional Facts
tokana_49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #32
Grass Dance Bum

crow_reza is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokana_49
That particulat tune was first heard at the Crow Fair in the early 70's and was sung by a singer from Lame Deer.

CROW FAIR!!!! HICH AAHH!!
Old 02-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #33
Pow Wow Visitor

adesrosier is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up A.I.M. Song

Booshoo Neeges;
The first time that I became concious of the A.I.M song was at a Veteran's Pow-Wow held at D.Q. University up here in Northern California this past November. By the way, when dancers "crowd" the drum it is meant as a way of honoring the drum. This song was a very powerful spiritual experience for me and it seemed to go on forever and no-one ther wanted it to end. This capped off a very good evening. I am taking a pretty good guess that the other folks felt the same way I did about it. I didn't find out until later that it was called the AIM song. There is a lot of spiritual power to that song. Some would call it strong medicine I suppose. Very beautiful song that sings to your spirit.
Meegwich
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #34
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokana_49
Here's how it really began: That particular tune was first heard at the Crow Fair in the early 70's and was sung by a singer from Lame Deer. don't have name(s), sorry! Then a group of singers who would later be called Red Earth converged into Denver for a powwow held by A.I.M. at some High School, AIM requested an honor song and we decided to sing that particular song. We sang it good and we sang it high and of course back in them days, the lady backup singers made it even better. so ever since then, that song was requested by AIM..and the rest is history. And that's the truth. Keep on Powwowing!! Additional Facts: Yes, there was an original song selected as the AIM song as stated to me by Eddie Benton; and that song was used in Cass Lake. However the second song was more poularized from that Denver powwow and I can't recall if Denver AIM sponsored that powwow then. Perhaps others can recall that one. Keep tabs for more tidbits as I do more recollecting. "Ya whey ya a ya....whey ah ya a ya"...Like dat?
Hey very cool Tokana That sounds like a very credible story.
And now we know the rest of the story.....
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

hokawicasa is an unknown quantity at this point
hau misun dave you got most of the story right Severt Young Bear Sr made the song in the late 60's. And at a local dance was asked to sing for the aim poeple there.the song that everybody calls the aim song was the one they sang, later at a ralley when the news crews were around Russell Means and dennis banks sang that song and told everyone it was the aim song. I remember it got mixed thoughts from the Porcupine crew at that time because of all the fighting the aim poeple were know for everyone wanted tribal rights ,but know one wanted tribal cival war. And to this day the song gets mixed reviews from poeple on Pine Ridge.

p.s. the last time I herd it used was at Black hills in the 90's Black lodge sang it as an intertribal,then paid Mel and Sev out of respect to Severt Sr.
hokawicasa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #36
le grande finale

get-the-lead-out is an unknown quantity at this point
aim song

It's credited as a intertribal song composed by a Mr. Sam Moves-Camp, from Pineridge Reservation, S.D. That's what I heard, anyways. It was a soulful tune, therefore, it was adopted by the aimsters. Could be !!
Don't take my word for it, however!

Ever heard the "backwards aim song" ?? just wondering.

Last edited by get-the-lead-out; 05-27-2006 at 04:10 PM..
get-the-lead-out is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #37
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
Living in the bay area and never hearing the AIM Song?? That's almost unheard of . Well I lived there in 94-99 and heard it at almost every powwow. Anyhow, the Standing Elk famly lived there, Dennis Banks always travelled there (prob had a honey..LOL j/k), and Russell Means was always doing something there too. So the AIM song was always belted out by some drum group at the end of powwows, usually by a singer who was an Aimster, Galeson Eagle star, oh, I can't believe I remember his name. I worked at the Native American Health Center-San Fran at the time and remember all these guys coming around doing 'talks', doing prayers, holding meetings and sweats, there all the time. Then when the NAHC was being threatened to be closed down and all this scandal developed with the board. We all took initiative and protested it. Well the AIM song was sung at almost every protest along with that, even recorded on the news. Man, it was almost fun to protest and out the board at the same time...LOL. Especially since we didn't have to work! Jokes. So it didn't surprise me when I read the other thread in regarding the AIM song being sung at DQ University, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Galeson who led that song....LOL. Was it some big tall Sioux with a red bandana?? Big Sioux nose and dark complected?? ayeeeee. If it was, then it was Galeson.

The Aim song was one of the first songs I was taught back in the early 90's. My 'powwow' dad (I call him as he was the one who sang my coming out song) was from Pineridge, Lakota Sioux, and spent some time on Alcatraz during the 'INVASION of Alcatraz'. He was a big time Aimster too, his giveaway gift was a giant AIM patch that he wanted sooooo bad. That's how I kinda learned about all that, etc.

That song does really give you that 'feeling'. The feeling of pride and just energy. Its one of those feel-good songs. You can go on and on about the orgin of this song, I am sure there are going to many versions of it and who made it, kinda like those claiming the orgins of the duckndive and the grassdance. Its just gonna be one of those things. However, the story I heard from my dad was the one about Severt Young Bear. Well shoot, they're all from the same place, they should know. LOL.

Ohhhhh well, no point in 'claimin it'. It was adopted as the AIM song and still remembered as the AIM song. Its a good song and it makes people feel good, so thats all it matters.

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #38
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
I love singing the AIM song and then flipping it over to the Peltier song. It's good to remember those who came before us. Those days in the 60's and 70's had a big impact on what we are able to do today.

I was wondering, the song on Dennis's tape Still Strong listed as an Honor Song sounds an awfull lot like a a song from the Pacific Northwest known as either the Chief's or Hangman Song... I was wondering if anyone knew if that is where he picked it up from... or is it just a coincidence. Just curious...

Paselo
Old 05-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #39
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
i jst asked an old friend of mine from our old AIM days, who was friends with eddie benton benai ...she said eddies the one who wrote it but severt and drums from SD made it popular...theres an old honoring song (used to be called) the airforce song thats very similar and it may have been adapted from that it may never been known who actually made the AIM song up,one of those legends but for us who were in AIM when it was still AIM (and not whats posing as AIM now) it will always hold a very special place in our hearts

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #40
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokawicasa
hau misun dave you got most of the story right Severt Young Bear Sr made the song in the late 60's. And at a local dance was asked to sing for the aim poeple there.the song that everybody calls the aim song was the one they sang, later at a ralley when the news crews were around Russell Means and dennis banks sang that song and told everyone it was the aim song. I remember it got mixed thoughts from the Porcupine crew at that time because of all the fighting the aim poeple were know for everyone wanted tribal rights ,but know one wanted tribal cival war. And to this day the song gets mixed reviews from poeple on Pine Ridge.

p.s. the last time I herd it used was at Black hills in the 90's Black lodge sang it as an intertribal,then paid Mel and Sev out of respect to Severt Sr.
This is the correct version. And yes, I too was at the Black Hills expo the year Black Lodge was there...if I remember correctly Porcupine was there with over 20 singers...that's when that pow wow was held in July and rocked