Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing A.I.M. Song A.I.M. Song

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #41
powwow professional

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mnx_str8_up is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle
I know this is a year after the last posting on the subject, but I've got some info that may be of use. This comes from the book "Standing in the Light: A Lakota Way of Seeing" written by Severt Young Bear and R.D. Theisz (Bison Books printing 1996). Page 155 - "One of the most misunderstood or controversial songs during the AIM days was the AIM Song. The actual songmaker of that song is unknown; maybe it was Druiry Cook." "It was jsut a general powwow song with no words."

The authors recount an event in Gordon, Nebraska, then continue on page 156:

"The host committee requested a victory song. We thought about an appropriate song. We didn't know if AIM had a victory song or if Gordon had a victory song to commemorate the occasion. The only song that came to mind was that song (speaking of the "AIM Song"), so we pushed it up."

The story goes on, noting an AIM convention in Cass Lake, Minnesota where AIM leadership had requested the song sung at Gordon, NE to be sung and possibly to be adopted as the official AIM Song.

This is a pretty good book, and its been a while since I've read it. I would have mentioned it here sooner but I've been away for a long while and am just now getting back to the forums. I'm assuming Severt Young Bears biography would have an accurate reocunt of the song he sang, but I could be mistaken. If you want a good read, pick up the book.
My uncles are Edward Benton-Banai and Clyde Bellecourt(founder of the American Indian Movement).
I also have heard the story you've heard rkbtmeyb,that a song was requested by the AIM members, and one of the few songs known to the singers at the time was the "AIM" song. They sang it, people caught on, and that's how it got to become the "AIM" song.
mnx_str8_up is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #42
Ta' Shunke Witko

Pheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob
Let me elaborate on my last post. I do notice that in the Northeast EVERYONE goes nuts when they sing the song. They crowd the drum, whooping and hollering like they are on the war path. I just sit there and say, "Oh god, here it goes" because it is usually the wackos who had not 1 thought of NDN stuff in their head in 1973. I admit I didnt. I was 2.

At a powwow up there a few years back someone asked us to sing it. There was an old lakota woman there who said it was OK. Otherwise we wouldnt have.
they crowd the drum.. whooping and hollering... dude who are you too speak of the aim song like that... so you sang it . did you have that same crowd .. so why did you ask an elder lakota women too sing it. makes you wonder..
MITAKUYE OYASIN... "then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all , and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world . and while i stood there I saw more than I can tell . and I Under Stood more then I saw . for I Was Seeing in a Sacred manner the Shapes of All . Hehaka Sapa. dec 1863-aug 17 or 19 , 1950.. listen online TO KILI 90.1 FM porcupine butte
Pheji Wanbli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #43
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
anyone have a recording of the song?

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #44
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
We use this song to "open" our drum. I have a recording, but it sucks!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #45
Tipi Chiefy

TiPi CrEePeR is a jewel in the rough
To "open"???

The original TiPi CrEePeR...
TiPi CrEePeR is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #46
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, we open the drum in private. Then we pray, and not during an event. Then we close the drum with a song and prayer.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #47
Tipi Chiefy

Thanks. Juss never heard the term "open" before.

Is this a woman's drum?

Old 06-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #48
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

It's a mans traditional drum. My daughter and I sing with them. You never heard of opening or closing a drum before putting it away in it's case???
Old 06-11-2006, 04:17 AM   #49
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
There's a version of the song on Dennis Banks' Still Strong Recording along with the Peltier Song...

Paselo
Old 06-11-2006, 04:22 AM   #50
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
It's a mans traditional drum. My daughter and I sing with them. You never heard of opening or closing a drum before putting it away in it's case???
Probably just a difference in terminology, we use a warm-up song (normally our drum song) and a closing song (usually a travelling song) before we wrap up at the end of a session.

Just what I think anyways.

Paselo
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #51
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

Goot thought; maybe some people don't know how the drum is to be treated with respect?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #52
Tipi Chiefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
Goot thought; maybe some people don't know how the drum is to be treated with respect?
That sounds kinda witchy don't ya think?

I was talking in a respectful manner to ya. Just asked a question cause I never heard the term. And yeah, what we do is warm up and traveling song usually. So yeah, we do stuff to "open" and "close" . Just never heard it called that. Sorry. Damn.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #53
Tipi Chiefy

I thought I was being respectful when I asked this question but guess some have taken offense. For that I apologize. I got bad repped for this and really don't understand why. Maybe some one can shed light on it. Not that it really matters but just curious. Cause of course they have to be cowards and not sign their names.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 AM   #54
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

Tipicreeper; I sure don't believe I was being witchy, and I didn't think I was directly aiming my comments at you. Now that I go back and read; in your post #47, were you inferring that because the drum I sing with "opens" our drum, means that we could only be a woman's drum? I guess someone beat me to giving you bad rep, but that's ok, I save that for really bad, disrespectful people on this website.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 AM   #55
Tipi Chiefy

Then I'm wrong in thinking that comment was directed at me. And the reason I asked about the drum being a women's drum is because you said "we" open it, and you being a woman made me ask. I didn't mean any disrespect. So please dont' be defensive, I don't mean any harm here.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #56
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

OK, no problem:) I'm moving on to other threads now; can't wait until all the people get back from the weekend powwows and start talking about new stuff, and who won, who lost, and on and on!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #57
Gimpy Old Dancer

Hazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant future
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 461.90
Not tryin' to keep a very old thread alive or anything. Just wanted to say that we "open" and "close" our drum as well. Both are short, but sincere prayer times with all the members of the drum there together. It's a private thing, done before the MC gets started and then after the circle has been closed. Not the same as a warm up and closing song.
Not tryin' to say that if your drum doesn't do this that you're doin' anything wrong. It's just the way we were taught to show respect to the drum, and come together to be grateful and try to sing with one voice for the people.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #58
Teen Dancer

apacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking guys,guys....

Red shield, you were right in your thinking it was different terminologies.Many drums here in the East call them "opening"or "closing" songs.Even though I'm fromthe East,I was always taught that it was warmup,then when the event is over,"travelin"song.Here they call it a closing song,and a lot of drums here will do a prayer,either right after or when everyone has walked away from the drum,right before it's put away.From what I've seen,alot of the drums here have been very respectful with their drums and really take great care not to do anything improper....keep smilin'1
apacheheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #59
Tipi Chiefy

Our drum has it's own things we do before we set up and sing. Yeah we pray. It's done for us not show. And yeah I've heard the terms opening and closing songs. I just neva heard it put like "opening" and "closing" the drum it'self. No biggie. Juss asked about it. Din't think it would git stuff stirred up. Then some of yous wonder why people don't wanna ask stuff on here. Anyway peace out

Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #60
Pow Wow Visitor

lakota_eyez will become famous soon enough
the song came from the lakota's in so dak during the aim dayz
lakota_eyez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links