Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing A.I.M. Song A.I.M. Song

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #61
www.wakalapi.com

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Savings: 0.00
AIM Song ... perhaps I'm confusing this song with another, but one story I was told is that an honor song was made for a man who was killed near P.R. ... Richard Yellowthunder or something like that?

Terminology ... ok this is way off topic but I just have ta say it. Is there a part of the country where drumsticks are more commonly just called "beaters"? To me, that just sounds like a "hobbiest" term.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #62
Pow Wow Visitor

Nativetrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 270.00
Too Long To Go Uninformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokana_49 View Post
Here's how it really began: That particular tune was first heard at the Crow Fair in the early 70's and was sung by a singer from Lame Deer. don't have name(s), sorry! Then a group of singers who would later be called Red Earth converged into Denver for a powwow held by A.I.M. at some High School, AIM requested an honor song and we decided to sing that particular song. We sang it good and we sang it high and of course back in them days, the lady backup singers made it even better. so ever since then, that song was requested by AIM..and the rest is history. And that's the truth. Keep on Powwowing!! Additional Facts: Yes, there was an original song selected as the AIM song as stated to me by Eddie Benton; and that song was used in Cass Lake. However the second song was more poularized from that Denver powwow and I can't recall if Denver AIM sponsored that powwow then. Perhaps others can recall that one. Keep tabs for more tidbits as I do more recollecting. "Ya whey ya a ya....whey ah ya a ya"...Like dat?
My Dad told me about those days at Wounded Knee. He always was proud of that AIM song. He told me that it is a Cheyenne song. He told me that it is for healing. He said it is far back as the days when the Cheyenne came to the plains. I have debated this story with Pine Ridgers (close relatives) many times. most of them never where there and neither was I. My dad though was and I believe him. Someone told me this story of a child running through the Crow Fair humming this song and taught it to a drummer. Kinda of like this story. the child was from Lame Deer (Cheyenne Country) and was a healer's son. My dad said that when he was there in Wounded Knee that some soldiers was getting worried about the outcome and someone there starting humming from the air and he recognized it and sang as if greeting an old friend. that was how it came.
Is it a Cheyenne song? who ever wants the song is who's it is
Is it a healing song? yes
It is said that music is the bridge to heaven
this song came from the spirits and will live longer than us
if you find yourself hating it, it is because it is pure and you may not be.
think about this even the one who people claim to have composed it say that they do not know where it comes from.

"One of the most misunderstood or controversial songs during the AIM days was the AIM Song. The actual songmaker of that song is unknown"

I know I am five years late with this reply but hopefully it will make its way back to the one who needs the information.
Nativetrend is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #63
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Lightbulb I can just see the expression on the Old Man's Face....

But ya'know thats what makes it so interesting.....Kind of like whispering something in one persons ear on one end of a line and by the time it gets to the other end, you have one hell of a story......
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 AM   #64
LynxSoldier Singer

Campfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond reputeCampfire 2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Well if you lookin for A.I.M song here a link Library of Songs Just scroll down tell you find "AIM 2". enjoy this website.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #65
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I think it is a horribly made song, and hard to sing.

Maybe I just have never heard it sung right. Over here on the northeast coast the wackos llove to request it....and the heart butte special also.

You see the old WK videos and the videos of Russell Means and Dennis Banks singing and everyone HAS to like it.

I like that famous WK photo where Russell is kicking it out big time but everyone else is just sitting there.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #66
Pow Wow Visitor

Nativetrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 270.00
That is a really good link everyone should check it out its got some good songs.
Nativetrend is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #67
Ta' Shunke Witko

Pheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond repute
an origanal singer from porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradish 4 you View Post
ok here is what i have been told It was written by sievert young bear from porcupine south dakota he is an oglala sioux and for many years was the lead singer of the porcupine singer

Anyhow yeah the song had been written just before the wounded knee thing so it was sorta fresh in a bunch of the guys minds so as a statement more or less of their indian identity they began to sing an indian song the news cameras and reporters soon assumed since they are indian and indians as we all know have a song for everything they called it the aim song

aims original intention was to be a society that cared for the people and made sure the people where alright ofcourse we all know that it turned into a militant society because of alot of youth and well conflict

so anyhow a week or so after the wounded knee thing porcupine singer where singing at a powwow and it was one of their new songs just written so they busted it out and in came all the aim people who recognized it with guns slung over their shoulders and it has just become more and more political since then

as far as it being used on the east coast i don't think there is a drum group that doesn't know how the song goes and depending on how bad the powwow is that you go to they will almost always ask for the song to be sung but when you hear it sung dance hard cause it is a good song but it is just an intertribal.

the song doesn't have any words its just a straight vocable song so thats all it is is an intertribal

peace out people
told me the same thing
MITAKUYE OYASIN... "then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all , and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world . and while i stood there I saw more than I can tell . and I Under Stood more then I saw . for I Was Seeing in a Sacred manner the Shapes of All . Hehaka Sapa. dec 1863-aug 17 or 19 , 1950.. listen online TO KILI 90.1 FM porcupine butte
Pheji Wanbli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #68
Ta' Shunke Witko

Pheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond repute
was also told this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakalapi View Post
AIM Song ... perhaps I'm confusing this song with another, but one story I was told is that an honor song was made for a man who was killed near P.R. ... Richard Yellowthunder or something like that?

Terminology ... ok this is way off topic but I just have ta say it. Is there a part of the country where drumsticks are more commonly just called "beaters"? To me, that just sounds like a "hobbiest" term.
is the true song
MITAKUYE OYASIN... "then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all , and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world . and while i stood there I saw more than I can tell . and I Under Stood more then I saw . for I Was Seeing in a Sacred manner the Shapes of All . Hehaka Sapa. dec 1863-aug 17 or 19 , 1950.. listen online TO KILI 90.1 FM porcupine butte
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #69
Ta' Shunke Witko

you should defintly not sing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
I think it is a horribly made song, and hard to sing.

Maybe I just have never heard it sung right. Over here on the northeast coast the wackos llove to request it....and the heart butte special also.

You see the old WK videos and the videos of Russell Means and Dennis Banks singing and everyone HAS to like it.

I like that famous WK photo where Russell is kicking it out big time but everyone else is just sitting there.
leave it up to the oyate too sing.. horribly made song
Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #70
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
this is one wasi who wont sing it.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #71
Pow Wow Visitor

irishpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 122.56
songs and vido s on you tube

songs and vidosare one you tube. one thing that should be given to all is a meadle that was given to the vode taaker I Hayes His dreams Hisreality, (they should all her J Cash song for him, and Apach tearsand others
irishpat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #72
Tiny Tot Dancer

ronski is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 852.34
Aim

It was cool to See the AIM bus in Pawnee and most of all how they paid respects by singing that Musse AIM song. Just wish they had bigger shirts to sell, next time. be safe on your trip east