Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By juluspahl
  • 4 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By juluspahl
  • 2 Post By Chevy_truckin_NDN
  • 2 Post By Josiah
  • 1 Post By juluspahl
  • 2 Post By wanjica_the_one

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing New to this New to this

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
juluspahl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 157.00
Savings: 0.00
New to this

I have been to a few Pow Wows in Wisconsin and have been watching and listening to drum music and watching dancing, grass dance especially. I studied Western Music formally and it is completely different than the Native American Drum. The drum is just mesmerizing and I get lost in the beat and love how the honor beats seem to fall. I guess what I am asking is how is the music structured? I can't seem to find it. When watching the dancers they all stop on the final beat.....I can't seem to understand where it happens and how they know its coming. Is there an overall form? Any insight for me? Any tips as to what I should listen to develop more of an understanding?
NPSS likes this.
juluspahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101,273.46
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by juluspahl View Post
I have been to a few Pow Wows in Wisconsin and have been watching and listening to drum music and watching dancing, grass dance especially. I studied Western Music formally and it is completely different than the Native American Drum. The drum is just mesmerizing and I get lost in the beat and love how the honor beats seem to fall. I guess what I am asking is how is the music structured? I can't seem to find it. When watching the dancers they all stop on the final beat.....I can't seem to understand where it happens and how they know its coming. Is there an overall form? Any insight for me? Any tips as to what I should listen to develop more of an understanding?
Many of those who learned to drum, or how to stop on the last beat...learned it from their fathers and their father's fathers.

Not to be rude, but it doesn't sound like you're NDN. It may be difficult for you to understand.

Maybe someone can post a photo of their 'It's an NDN thing' t-shirt.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

My ancestry is difficult as my father is little known to me and I was raised by another father. My mother's side has native ancestry that goes back. I am 12.5% Chippewa, my mother is of no help in these things, my grandmother passed several years ago, and of course my great grandmother who was full Chippewa has long passed on. So..... no being raised pretty much in the American Culture I am not Indian. However, I can say in certain aspects, I find a greater sense of connection and peace when listening to the drum, when alone in the woods, when listening to the earth. I'm no hippy by any means, but in a way I feel a connection and would like to learn more. Does that make any sense at all? I don't find your comment rude at all and I hope my questions are offensive in any way as well. I know a lot of people claim to be part Indian. I just want to learn a bit more, understand a little, especially the music, and have no one learn from.
WhoMe likes this.

Last edited by juluspahl; 08-28-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
3 down and 1 to go! lol

Items SwordPresentPresent
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,926.62
JD's always trynna run people outta the forum.... smh.
windanncer and grass newbie like this.
Chevy_truckin_NDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,473.41
Thats cause the dancers have heard the song before and know when it is going to end!!

LoL

I read an article from a guy that majored in music not sure what his degree was but he went all over the place listening to different kinds of Singing. (We dont call it drumming, they are singers)
He went up North and down south and to the west and to the east
And he said that our music is different where ever you go
LOL

The songs are old unless they were just made
but the old songs have been stretched out to accomidate the Powwow

If you listen carefully you will hear 4 beats
bom
bom
bom
bom
stop

oh wait that is southern style
Joe's Dad and windanncer like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,139.93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Maybe someone can post a photo of their 'It's an NDN thing' t-shirt.

There ya go...
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,080.18
indian music is syncopated (spelling?) anyways listen the song instead of the drum beat and you will be able to stop on time every time. these songs before the drum did so learn the songs and you will stop on time
running_with_buffs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post

There ya go...
Not exactly this one.

You wouldn't understand.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_truckin_NDN View Post
JD's always trynna run people outta the forum.... smh.
It's like my legs. Not even! hahaaa

It's kinda like Lawrence Welk would do...ah one and a two and a three.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks so much for the info, I mean no disrespect to those that are comenting somewhat harshly, but if I am attending Pow Wows and listening to the singers, I'd like to learn a bit about the music I am listening to.
Yaska likes this.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,631.03
this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
20130828_234058.jpg   20130828_234120.jpg  

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Go read anything by Gordon Smith from Queen's University. He studied and taught indigenious music from the east casot of canada. He work is amazingly detailed on everthing from harmonics to key changing.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,631.03
I've been dancin' a while.....I don't really know many songs , but as you listen , well , you just start to feel those stops ! I never studied music , can't carry a tune in a bucket ! LOL But I like to get out there and raise some dust !I don't miss many stops.....

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Sometimes old men remember...

juju..I hope you weren't insinuating I was too harsh on you. That is not my way. I'll challenge you to make you think.

This was discussed a while back by some noteworthy singers (Zeke? lol)). Hope it helps.

Written Powwow Music?

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Nah, I just like to push back a bit but still stay as respectful as I can as this is your culture I would like to learn more about.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #16

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,139.93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Not exactly this one.

You wouldn't understand.
Okay - a.t.m there's nothing I need to understand anyway.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 33,175.19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
Okay - a.t.m there's nothing I need to understand anyway.
That's okay for you're as daffy as they come, that must be why we like you. I don't care if you don't care, so what? I'm not sorry and neither are you, lol.
wardancer and Spiritflight like this.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

I'm actually going to a Pow Wow this weekend and will have more to listen for. Joe's Dad, thanks for the link, good things to ponder.....the benefits of writing down or transcribing the music. While formally trained in Western music people can sing songs written in other languages and pronounce the diction very well.....however someone that speaks that language as their native language will perform better due to more understanding of the words, meaning, etc. You can program a computer to play a symphony perfectly as it was written, but does it have heart? Does it have soul? Is it worth anything? No.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

NPSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 110.00
Also new

My circumstances are a little different but was always told that this culture was a lot more open and inclusive. Anyhoo, I would like to start a drum circle at our high school for the few Aboriginals we have and was wondering if I could get suggestions. Being a part of the 60's Scoop here in Canada and not being brought up in the culture might give me a disadvantage but I have the blood in my veins, so anyone willing to guide me through this? Thanks
NPSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links