Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing NORTHERN - Alaska? NORTHERN - Alaska?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gunakadeit is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
NORTHERN - Alaska?

Anyone out there heard of any groups from Alaska yet? =D Tlingit living in California/North Dakota.... Never seen one yet myself.
Gunakadeit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Savings: 1.00
Ask this lady called Wocus Woman. She was trying to round up some people to go to a powwow in Fairbanks or somewhere. She was also talking about some of the drum groups that are already up there. Inlanders, though. Athabaskans, prolly. But, I haven't heard of any SE Alaska drums. I did hear that there was a shindig at the Juneau-Douglas High School one time. Something along the lines of a powwow.

I was born in Juneau but I have lived down in the NW all my life. Thass how I got into powwow singing.

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntownn8ive
Ask this lady called Wocus Woman. She was trying to round up some people to go to a powwow in Fairbanks or somewhere. She was also talking about some of the drum groups that are already up there. Inlanders, though. Athabaskans, prolly. But, I haven't heard of any SE Alaska drums. I did hear that there was a shindig at the Juneau-Douglas High School one time. Something along the lines of a powwow.

I was born in Juneau but I have lived down in the NW all my life. Thass how I got into powwow singing.

ooh man them powwows are hittin up in fairbanks now too gee there really getting them goin now last i heard they started havin powwows in anchorage

Never seen another Tlingit in a drum group usually its our hand drum and traditional songs.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
We had our 5th annual Midnight Sun Intertribal Powwow this past July. Always a very nice gathering. I'm lower 48 ndn, my husband and the rest of the Interior are Athabascan Indians. They have quite a few little powwows down Anchorage way all year long too, you'd want to ask BLACKBEAR about them. Valdez just had their first ever powwow back in late August; I could not attend, but I'm sure it was nice, since Valdez is one of the prettiest towns in Alaska.

Are you wanting to know about organizations, dance groups or drumgroups. Let me know, I can probably tell you or direct you to the correct person for your questions. WW
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
We had our 5th annual Midnight Sun Intertribal Powwow this past July. Always a very nice gathering. I'm lower 48 ndn, my husband and the rest of the Interior are Athabascan Indians. They have quite a few little powwows down Anchorage way all year long too, you'd want to ask BLACKBEAR about them. Valdez just had their first ever powwow back in late August; I could not attend, but I'm sure it was nice, since Valdez is one of the prettiest towns in Alaska.

Are you wanting to know about organizations, dance groups or drumgroups. Let me know, I can probably tell you or direct you to the correct person for your questions. WW

Valdez wow there having powwows to now ill be damned i remember when it seems too been only celebration every couple years (those not aware of what celebration is - Gathering of Alaskan Native Tribes dancin up on stage representing your villages or dance groups)

I want to start learning more about singing in drum groups. Growing up we learn songs that belong to our clan and potlatch songs that go with a hand drum. So outside my own tribes traditional singing im a spectator although intrested in learning more. From what I have been told by others who sing that its not so much something reserved for the lower 48. There for i started this thread to see if anyone knows about us alaskan natives out there in drum groups.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
There are several in Alaska. I grew up around drum in Oregon, within my own family. I'm currently a part of a local drum, and we are always recruiting local native people to joing or come around and learn. I know that most of the other drums in Alaska also recruit within the local population. My two kids whom are half Lower Koyukon Athabascan are learning to sing and drum. Eventually, I'm hoping they will run their own group for our native community.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Red face

Quote:
There are several in Alaska. I grew up around drum in Oregon, within my own family. I'm currently a part of a local drum, and we are always recruiting local native people to joing or come around and learn. I know that most of the other drums in Alaska also recruit within the local population. My two kids whom are half Lower Koyukon Athabascan are learning to sing and drum. Eventually, I'm hoping they will run their own group for our native community.

Last edited by Gunakadeit; 09-29-2006 at 04:32 PM..
Old 09-07-2006, 04:36 AM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Most of the drums here are made up of alaskan and lower fourty-eight indians. I can only recall four at the moment...
Sleeping Lady
Walking Hawk
Tatanka Ska
Northern Lights
Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Most of the drums here are made up of alaskan and lower fourty-eight indians. I can only recall four at the moment...
Sleeping Lady
Walking Hawk
Tatanka Ska
Northern Lights

Wow, That is great!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,554.70
Quote:
Most of the drums here are made up of alaskan and lower fourty-eight indians.

Northern Lights

Hey Blackbear,

Is the Northern Lights drum still together? They have a couple of Yupik and Cupik singers.

I and my dad have sat in with them at their drum practice and a powwow in Anchorage!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
powwow bum

ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,659.73
Quote:

I sang at that powwow the first 2 years it took place. The group I sing with was brought up there from New England. I had a great time and I hope that I get a chance to go back sometime.
ndngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
I like how you say lower 48 ndns!

It's like stateside ndns!

So I'm half Alaska Native and half lower 48.

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2006, 04:47 AM   #13
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Hey Blackbear,

Is the Northern Lights drum still together? They have a couple of Yupik and Cupik singers.

I and my dad have sat in with them at their drum practice and a powwow in Anchorage!
Yeah, they are somewhat together... I'm not sure totally though. I know Mr. Brown moved back to Menominee country (and I miss him) but I hear there are people who took over the drum.

So when were you in Alaska? Did you come up for that doctor's convention powwow about 3-4 years ago?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah, they are somewhat together... I'm not sure totally though. I know Mr. Brown moved back to Menominee country (and I miss him) but I hear there are people who took over the drum.

So when were you in Alaska? Did you come up for that doctor's convention powwow about 3-4 years ago?

BB,

No it has been several years since I have been up, when the drum was just forming.

Mr. Brown and Sammy Lamebull invited us to give them some advice and share some songs. We sang with them at a NIEA Convention powwow.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
Honey Connoissuer

what year?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
what year?
Dang, what year? I have no idea.

All I know is that the year before they had some big doings in Palmer that they called "Spirit Days" that we came up and sang as a host drum, along with Blacklodge.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #17
Honey Connoissuer

I remember spirit days... not in Palmer... in Palmer was usually Katie Wade's place... or maybe she called it spirit days... did the word Chickaloon come in to any conversations? LOL! About 3 or 4 years ago they had that big doctors' convention up here and they threw a powwow and scissortail and blacklodge were here. We took them shopping and fed them bbq at Mike's house. We had a great time! LOL they sent me to the hotel to pick up one of Blacklodges' members by the name of Thomas and I was like... which one is he? And they said, You'll know him. Well I did'nt, had to ask him but we had a pleasant conversation back to the house. Really nice guy! That was just a really great weekend.. I'll never forget it!