Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who Do You Think Will Make The Biggest "Splash" This Year In The Pow-wow World????
Battle River 6 5.08%
Bear Creek 35 29.66%
Black Lodge 5 4.24%
Black Stone 1 0.85%
Eyabay 10 8.47%
Eya-hay Nakota 8 6.78%
High Noon 4 3.39%
Midnite Express 28 23.73%
Mystic River 15 12.71%
Northern Cree 16 13.56%
Smokey Town 6 5.08%
Southern Cree 5 4.24%
Stoney Creek 6 5.08%
The Boyz 11 9.32%
White Fish Jrs. 5 4.24%
Wild Horse 6 5.08%
Wild Rose 12 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing Who Do You Think Will Make The Biggest "Splash" In The Pow-wow World This Year???? Who Do You Think Will Make The Biggest "Splash" In The Pow-wow World This Year????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
Pow-Wow Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
The_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb Who Do You Think Will Make The Biggest "Splash" In The Pow-wow World This Year????

Who do you think will be the drum to beat, the drum to record, and the drum that all you dancers want to dance to????
The_HULK is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
You sure don't give us much of a choice!!!

Just kidding.

So many good ones. They all make an impact.

To be fair, I guess the drum that makes the biggest splash woul be the group with the biggest guys who hit the hotel pool. LOL
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
This is Midnight's year. Look at the powwow posters across the country to see how many times they are host and you'll see how popular they are, at this point in time.

They came out with some unique drum beats (though, not new, they are credited with making them popular.) They also got a good group of singers from different drums and some new faces.

Visually, they are exciting to watch. I got to drum judge them in Cali. When they are crewed up', they ARE "all that!"

But, mark my words. . .

In three years, another drum group will come out with a new trend or style of singing . . . and replace Midnight in popularity.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Pow-Wow Singer

The_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond reputeThe_HULK has a reputation beyond repute
Hope you don't let your being a fan of Midnite cloud your judgement when you're drum judging.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
Pow-Wow Singer

Let me clear my throat..... Mhhnnnmm MMnnnnnn. :D

Excuse me for being so quick to judge WhoMe. I guess I was only reading the part where you said that you drum judged them and thought they were " ALL THAT ".
I don't want to turn this into a arguementive thread, so just ingnore that last comment. It wasn't thought through and it shows.
:czyeyes: :duhh:

:agree?:

AHO
Old 04-13-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_HULK
Excuse me for being so quick to judge WhoMe. I guess I was only reading the part where you said that you drum judged them and thought they were " ALL THAT ".
I don't want to turn this into a arguementive thread, so just ingnore that last comment. It wasn't thought through and it shows.
:czyeyes: :duhh: :agree?:
AHO
___

Hulkster:

Nada Problemo. No offense taken.

I judge both dancers and singers knowing there are both good days, as well as off days in competion. I take this into consideration and judge accordingly.

I am not into picking people because of their name or status in the powwow world.

If a less well known drum kicks it up a knotch for a particular session of judging, that's who I go with. I also watch to see how the dancers react to the singing.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Pow-Wow Singer

:Thumbs

Good to hear!

Midnite Express was "all that" for awhile now. Hats off to Midnite :worthy:

I was just concerned with judges, who judge their friends/idles. It just doesn't sit well with me knowing I'm in a contest thats being judged by a bias judge.

I remember one time we were being judged by a "certain drums" uncle, and he walked away from every drum in the contest before their song was over, all except his nephews drum. Like, some judges walk away during the last verse of the song, but this was right after, or sometimes during, the last lead. He really looked unimpressed by all these drums. Got that whole contest round on video too. You can tell just by look of boredom compared to the look of pride, that he wasn't being fair.

Again, good to hear that you are one of the good judges. :Thumbs

*There are 2 sides to every coin!

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

Old 05-06-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Teen Dancer

KeetersCAT has a reputation beyond repute
KeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Yeah...ya gotta watch out for the a$$lickers. Watch this summer. Not just in singin' but dancin' too. Some people just ain't got no SHAME!

KeetersCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #9
Pow-Wow Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeetersCAT
Some people just ain't got no SHAME!
I know what you mean.

I hope that Schemitzun is going to be fair this year. Not saying that it wasn't before, but people were saying things the last time there was a triple crown. Rumours are rumours, but you never know.

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

Old 05-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute~danielle~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 364.00
EAGLE FEATHER!!!!!
~danielle~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
wow..this is a good thread...:Thumbs... it really brings up a good topic.. Drum Judging!! :)
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2004, 09:28 AM   #12
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
it is difficult many times to find honest, objective people to judge.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #13
Pow-Wow Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
it is difficult many times to find honest, objective people to judge.
That is true.

I think sometimes it is better to get people who don't normally spend time around drums to judge. This usually makes some people talk about how you should get people who "know how to judge", but who really "knows" the best way to judge.

If the judging ballot is clear, and well thought out, then all a judge should need to so is judge whats on the ballot. I seen some ballots where it's just; cleaniness, singing, start/stop on time. Thats way to vague if you ask me. Nobody asked :), but I'm telling anyways. It should include things like; are the dancers dancing (for intertribals), how does the song make you feel, and are all the singers singing (eg. no lip-syncers). Things like that.

I say judges should be picked from everywhere in the pow-wow arena. Not just people you know, or you seen before, maybe some people who never judged before.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

ReeDaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Splash!!!

Battle River
ReeDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #15
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Talking Biggest Splash!

Well without a Doubt either Freddie Cozad or Jr. Merrick....

Just picture those brothers cannon balling.....Now that would be a SPLASH! GAWWWW! :Shocked
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #16
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Splash? Does that mean the sound of the liquor in the glass? That would be easy to say! LOL
Just joking, seriously.....Midnite is awesome, no doubt. High noon is always a steady contender, as well as mandaree and Mesquakie nation. Drums run pretty much like dancing, one group will have a hot summer and win everywhere and then the next summer it will be someone else. Then there are the steady winners that always get in somewhere.
Schemitzun will be the ultimate singing pow wow and we will see what we see up there.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

esabun is an unknown quantity at this point
splittin hairs

I agree that there's way too many good drums to pick just one....and when it gets real tough gotta look to all kinds of things to seperate the real good from great.

the beat comes first, and there might be some guys goin a lil off beat on the second. sometimez they could be tryin to scream all hard not really 'singin' in my opinion. and then the shake has gotta be there, transition from high to bass, gotta see if the whole spectrum is blastin...

and then maybe 6 blasters sounds better than 12 deep, and with 12 the beat can get sketchy, everybody tryin to outsing everybody else, somebody gets out of tune etc

any other things people have noticed???
esabun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

song_bird_woman is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 80.00
"Da biggest splash"...

Mnx!!!
song_bird_woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #19
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
I think Flipper or maybe Shamoo would make the biggest splash!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

big_ndn is an unknown quantity at this point
wild rose
big_ndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links