Red Bull 28 16.47%
White Fish Jr. 38 22.35%
Big River Cree 7 4.12%
Black Lodge 24 14.12%
Black Stone 9 5.29%
Little Island Cree 21 12.35%
Other 43 25.29%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Northern Singing who is the Round Dance Kings" who is the Round Dance Kings"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #61
BOULDERDASH!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Just to add.....

I left out the quitting song! That is the last song....The apple song is towards the end, but the quitting song ends it....Thanks Minixshin....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #62
Pro PowWow Spectator

AsdzaaDinehLady has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I can't wait to attend the first ever Lopez Family Round Dance March 21, 2008, Towoac, CO. There you will see these teachings I think for the first time ever in its intended context. anyone there will really get a treat into how a round dance goes. See ya all there.
AsdzaaDinehLady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #63
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House View Post
Up North (SK, AB Canada as well as some US states) Throughout the late Fall into early Spring Round Dances take place. Different from Powwow. As it was explained to me Round Dances were initially held as Memorials. A way in which to remember people who have passed. There are protocols that are observed from the Pipe ceremony to the Apple dance. There are give aways and food is shared. Generally after the Pipe a meal is served. By Midnight or so lunch is served. (usually a brown bag style with sandwiches and fruit and drinks) The Giveaway is held and everyone in attendance receives a gift. There is a song that acknowledges the Giveaway and all participate to say thank you for the good fortune they receive. Nowadays Round dances are held to celebrate someone's birthday, or an anniversary...... as well as other special occasions (as well as memorials). A "Stickman" is appointed to distribute "the sticks" to a singer (mind you tobacco is offered to the singer as well) who generally is asked to share 4 RD songs. This singer distributes the sticks to other singers who accompany him to the middle of the dance floor. Usually a table and chairs are set up and drums are smudged and set on the table. Everything is shared. Some Round dances will have several singers and from roughly 7pm the doing will last right to the wee hours of the morning (4, 5 am or later...). The Cree people have heavily influenced RD and several Tribes follow their direction. As I stated earlier the Apple dance is the final song....Apples are shared with the people. Who I should add have been dancing all throughout the night in a clockwise direction. Again as was explained to me the apple was once seen as a treat to children and that was intended to honor the children. (who many years ago would have seen an apple as a special treat...). May I add there is a starting song at the beginning of the RD.

This is a small fast glimpse into RD. It is very popular in SK and AB Canada. It would be safe to say some folks who are unfamiliar with RD associate it with "groups" well this is basically correct, but as I explained a singer is designated at a dance, yes the group accompanies him, but the singer is recognized.....I'll add that without a doubt a RD King would be Gordon McGillvery sp?

I would hope others who are familiar with RD would add some insight as well....
yea ... traditionally (well around here anyways) there are no "round dance groups" just lead singers who make all their own songs and go out get the sticks and other singers come help him out (not uncommon for lead singers to bring along some friends to help him out) ... ppl might be misinformed when singing groups put out round dance CDs thinking there are RD "groups".

lately there are RD groups like the young scouts ... (who are made up of singers from different groups like wild horse, black stone, young thunder, mandaree, the list goes on and on ....) ... who sing primarily RD songs in the "off-season" or sing PW on the "off-season" whichever way you want to look at it i guess LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House View Post
I left out the quitting song! That is the last song....The apple song is towards the end, but the quitting song ends it....Thanks Minixshin....
apple dance song is sung a bit after lunch.

ya also forgot about the "wa-by-way" (sp?) which is a series of songs that are danced in pairs (sometimes three if ya got it like that LOL). its kinda of a courting dance ... dance with your sweetheart and its usually the family who is sponsoring the RD or ppl from the host community who go out and walk in a circle and have to find a partner(s) before the first song is done. after the rest of the songs are done .... you have to give them a gift (usually money now) and if you dont have anything ... ya have to give them a kiss LOL
Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #64
Pro PowWow Spectator

AsdzaaDinehLady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migiziwomen View Post
Randy Wood will always have a special place in my heart, my ex used to Randy Wood to woo me.
"Look how the stars shine for you my one and only you"
dang can you say romantic, nothing like a man who will sing you romantic songs, and does it well.
then there is NORTHERN CREEEEEEEEEEEEE
gawd sing me something sweet babayyyy
.... I knows how ya feel... my round dance man stole my heart with this one....

" oh my darling over there
all of my love right there with you
and all of me right there with you in that dream"

see how SOL sings it....

AsdzaaDinehLady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #65
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Hi Hi....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post
yea ... traditionally (well around here anyways) there are no "round dance groups" just lead singers who make all their own songs and go out get the sticks and other singers come help him out (not uncommon for lead singers to bring along some friends to help him out) ... ppl might be misinformed when singing groups put out round dance CDs thinking there are RD "groups".

lately there are RD groups like the young scouts ... (who are made up of singers from different groups like wild horse, black stone, young thunder, mandaree, the list goes on and on ....) ... who sing primarily RD songs in the "off-season" or sing PW on the "off-season" whichever way you want to look at it i guess LOL

apple dance song is sung a bit after lunch.

ya also forgot about the "wa-by-way" (sp?) which is a series of songs that are danced in pairs (sometimes three if ya got it like that LOL). its kinda of a courting dance ... dance with your sweetheart and its usually the family who is sponsoring the RD or ppl from the host community who go out and walk in a circle and have to find a partner(s) before the first song is done. after the rest of the songs are done .... you have to give them a gift (usually money now) and if you dont have anything ... ya have to give them a kiss LOL
Thanks for the info....I've always enjoyed RD and the last 5 years have been chock full of RD...

Good 1 happening this Sat Jan 31st.....

ALEXIS 1st NATION AB Canada Planet Earth....

Awesome singing....
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #66
Tiny Tot Dancer

captain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond repute
Wood Family Memorial Rounddance on Saturday, March 7, 2009 @ Saddle Lake AB. Canada.
Pretty much most of the groups on the poll will be there, along with a number of other singers and groups.
Live recording by Canyon Records. The next installment of the "Northern Cree and Friends" series.
Sound provided by Vern Chocan Sound System
MC's: Main MC- Mr. Eric Tootoosis along with 3 guest MC's
Raffles and Giveaway.

YOUR ALL INVITED AND SAFE TRAVELS!
captain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #67
Tiny Tot Dancer

captain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond reputecaptain has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
Wood Family Memorial Rounddance on Saturday, March 7, 2009 @ Saddle Lake AB. Canada.
Pretty much most of the groups on the poll will be there, along with a number of other singers and groups.
Live recording by Canyon Records. The next installment of the "Northern Cree and Friends" series.
Sound provided by Vern Chocan Sound System
MC's: Main MC- Mr. Eric Tootoosis along with 3 guest MC's
Raffles and Giveaway.

YOUR ALL INVITED AND SAFE TRAVELS!
***Oh Yea a very special invite to the "knowledgable" one Chazziff on behalf of myself, my family, and my "drumgroup". We will treat you right and with honor. Sure to be one of the best roundances this yr. Hoka!***
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #68
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
***Oh Yea a very special invite to the "knowledgable" one Chazziff on behalf of myself, my family, and my "drumgroup". We will treat you right and with honor. Sure to be one of the best roundances this yr. Hoka!***
sorry ... i dont go to round dances LOL ... i can't stand the cigarette smoke and touching other ppl LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #69
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post
sorry ... i dont go to round dances LOL ... i can't stand the cigarette smoke and touching other ppl LOL
Come anyway. I'm confident you and your family will enjoy this. Tell you what, since you don't want to be touching people, we will set you up on stage with plenty of space with the other dignitaries who wil be in attendance. The building is well ventilated and I know what you mean about the smoke cause I don't enjoy being in a closed smoking area. My group will even spring for the tab for accomadations for your family.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #70
is waiting ....

Quote:
Come anyway. I'm confident you and your family will enjoy this. Tell you what, since you don't want to be touching people, we will set you up on stage with plenty of space with the other dignitaries who wil be in attendance. The building is well ventilated and I know what you mean about the smoke cause I don't enjoy being in a closed smoking area. My group will even spring for the tab for accomadations for your family.
thanks but no thanks ... i have two jobs, four kids and a two hour commute (hour to and back) ... i usually work weekends in addition to my full time weekday job.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #71
Brother of the Band.....

mrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
DAMN! hey capitan......i"ll come then.....that sounds like a sweet deal!! jk if u woulda threw in all the fries n gravy maybe though!! lmao
mrmnxcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #72
is waiting ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmnxcrew View Post
DAMN! hey capitan......i"ll come then.....that sounds like a sweet deal!! jk if u woulda threw in all the fries n gravy maybe though!! lmao
LOL ... mmmmm ... now i want fries n gravy
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #73
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Smokin' and touchin', that's my kinda shin dig.

However, the good government officials of Canada have unanimously decided it better for me not to cross the border....ever...

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #74
BOULDERDASH!

Lightbulb Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmnxcrew View Post
Your Comical ! I could just see you now....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Old 02-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #75
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntownn8ive View Post
Smokin' and touchin', that's my kinda shin dig.

However, the good government officials of Canada have unanimously decided it better for me not to cross the border....ever...

The holding hands thing will definitely be happenin', however the smoking will have to be done outside. No smoking in the bldg. YAY! And sorry MrMNX, there won't be any fries and gravey sold at the rounddance, but you can fill up on juicey buffalo steaks, moose-nose soup, moose meat, elk meat, deer meat, and a number of other traditional dishes prepared by the good women of the Cardinal/Wood famalies for the feast.
To bad Chazziff can't make it . . . oh well, we'll just have to try have a good rounddance without her presence. Maybe next year!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #76
Brother of the Band.....

mrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond reputemrmnxcrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The holding hands thing will definitely be happenin', however the smoking will have to be done outside. No smoking in the bldg. YAY! And sorry MrMNX, there won't be any fries and gravey sold at the rounddance, but you can fill up on juicey buffalo steaks, moose-nose soup, moose meat, elk meat, deer meat, and a number of other traditional dishes prepared by the good women of the Cardinal/Wood famalies for the feast.
To bad Chazziff can't make it . . . oh well, we'll just have to try have a good rounddance without her presence. Maybe next year!
awww man no fries n gravy?! one of my alltime canadien favs!! well i wish yall's round dance is rockin' and yall have a great turnout!!......sounds like a doosie!!
mrmnxcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links