PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Cloth Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f18/)
-   -   Broad cloth or "something" lighter??? (http://forums.powwows.com/f18/broad-cloth-something-lighter-60753/)

CandaePrincess 08-17-2011 01:44 PM

Broad cloth or "something" lighter???

So with the temps reaching well above 100 + here in Oklahoma, I can't imagine wearing my Kaw clothes b/c of the heat and humidity on the weekend at a pow wow. I get hot just thinking about it. *L* So would you as a dancer go with a lighter material during the peak summer heat?? Or do you feel you should just suck it up??? Is it better to pass out than to look, "untradish?"

Chevy_truckin_NDN 08-17-2011 02:18 PM

omgosh, my sister wore her broadcloth shell dress for Oklahoma Indian Nations.....even though it rained, there was a cold breeze, she was still sweating...but you know, she would never wear anything else....lol

CandaePrincess 08-17-2011 02:44 PM

I know right? You want to represent the right way but I think in my daughter's case, I might make an exception. We have the real five band for her skirt but I was thinking about if it's too hot, putting her in one of my old skirts.

neling4 08-17-2011 04:39 PM

I had no choice but to use a cheaper lighter fabric for my dress. I simply cannot afford wool broadcloth. I made it in the correct style, however. Some day, when I am rich and famous, I will purchase wool broadcloth and make myself two new dresses: One red and one blue. I dance in September and avoid the July powwow, so it is not too hot.

I look forward to being rich. I hope it happens before I die. :tongue::lol:

redfeatherlooking 08-17-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neling4 (Post 1483209)
I had no choice but to use a cheaper lighter fabric for my dress. I simply cannot afford wool broadcloth. I made it in the correct style, however. Some day, when I am rich and famous, I will purchase wool broadcloth and make myself two new dresses: One red and one blue. I dance in September and avoid the July powwow, so it is not too hot.

If you die from heat stroke what a loss. Be cool!!!!

CandaePrincess 08-18-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neling4 (Post 1483209)

I know right? I have friends up north that tell me how much broadcloth, pendleton blankets and chief joseph blankets run and it's staggering. Here you can usually find a good price if you search for it (Broadcloth 55-65 a yard, etc) but yeah....it's not a cheap wool.

yaahl 08-18-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandaePrincess (Post 1483248)
I know right? I have friends up north that tell me how much broadcloth, pendleton blankets and chief joseph blankets run and it's staggering. Here you can usually find a good price if you search for it (Broadcloth 55-65 a yard, etc) but yeah....it's not a cheap wool.

Up here, I can buy broadcloth and/or trade cloth wool for about $27 CDN a metre (39 inches) with a width of 60 inches.

CandaePrincess 08-19-2011 03:19 PM

Is it the five band? If so, that's a pretty good price. Maybe I should have you get mine next time? *L*

neling4 08-19-2011 03:41 PM

Someone led me to this fabric store. As you can see, the wool is pretty affordable:

http://www.trimfabric.com/wool-fabric-1.html

CandaePrincess 08-19-2011 04:17 PM

http://www.sharpsindianstore.com/supply10.jpg

this link shows a pic of what I'm talking about the actual 5 band wool broadcloth...it tends to run higher but if it's cheaper up north, I'll look into it! :)

neling4 08-19-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandaePrincess (Post 1483438)
http://www.sharpsindianstore.com/supply10.jpg

this link shows a pic of what I'm talking about the actual 5 band wool broadcloth...it tends to run higher but if it's cheaper up north, I'll look into it! :)

That's beautiful. I wish I could afford that.

CandaePrincess 08-19-2011 05:42 PM

I know right? It seems pretty pricey when you're just wearing it to dance in! *L* Make em' wear them to school, etc. Ha ha. Have a good weekend neiling! Take care.

neling4 08-19-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandaePrincess (Post 1483441)
I know right? It seems pretty pricey when you're just wearing it to dance in! *L* Make em' wear them to school, etc. Ha ha. Have a good weekend neiling! Take care.

You too, Princess! :smile:

delila77 02-21-2013 01:27 PM

hope this goes through im using my sister computer and its super slow, but in reguards to the material of choice. im stumped too. my ma says its crazy in 100 degree weather to even do a broadcloth skirt. i was gunna have a broadcloth skirt with ofcourse a silk top. i think i value my sanity and health with this one, but then i'm thinking it would be okay to go with something less traditional if its done tastefully.im moving back to california after im done with my rn and thats where its hot. i think when it gets colder ill wear broadcloth skirt and silk shirt.

wyo_rose 02-21-2013 04:11 PM

Have you all seen the thinner broadcloth? It's got a nicer finish too, not so rough looking...but it's way more expensive. I think FF bought some for about $85/yard. Looks sharp tho!

delila77 02-22-2013 03:26 PM

that does sound expensive but since it's thinner its worth the cost. i dunno during the summer if i would still feel too hot in california if i wear thinner but its definitly an investiment that i wanna make for colder days. where do they sell the thinner broadcloth?

blueberry111 03-14-2013 05:39 PM

It's def not worth wearing in the heat. Calico is nearly as traditional as broadcloth in a way, and its lighter.. It can still hold shells and moderate decoration and is beautiful by itself, too. Or only wear the heavy dress when you are to dance.. keep an underdress on so you don't have to lug around the hot one. Don't sacrifice health and comfort over an outfit, powwows should be fun!

edit: we have thin wool over here at the Pendleton shop sold by the yard. It's not broadcloth or striped but it is quality! I bead strips at the bottom of my Crow dresses to hide the lack of the classic stripe patterns.

LeannB 03-16-2013 08:34 PM

I have a friend who has wrap skirts of cotton twill. Nice heavy hand to it, but WAY cooler than wool, and easy to sew ribbons onto. I would like to try that sometime. I wear skirts all the time anyway, so it shouldn't be any warmer than my denim skirts.

I have nice white linen shirts.....that helps beat the heat, too.

(ETA.....preshrink the cotton for your skirt before you cut it out and sew it. That way you know it'll wash well. And in the heat, you KNOW you're gonna want to wash it.)

Czechy 03-20-2013 11:50 AM

How about a cotton calico T-dress?

LeannB 03-20-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czechy (Post 1562442)
How about a cotton calico T-dress?

I have several of those and love them.

But there are folks who say if you are from an eastern woodlands tribe, you should not wear them in the powwow ring.

Kinda stinks, tho', 'cause the calico dresses sure are cooler.