Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of you have noticed a new look in Southern cloth regalia?
I've noticed and think the changes are great. 45 34.88%
I've noticed and don't like the new look. 37 28.68%
I'll be using the new ideas on a future outfit for myself. 12 9.30%
I have no intentions of ever using any of these ideas. 16 12.40%
I haven't noticed any changes yet. 19 14.73%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree20Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Changes in Southern Cloth Changes in Southern Cloth

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2001, 04:56 PM   #1
Lovin' life,

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Changes in Southern Cloth

I have been noticing some changes in the Southern cloth regalia. And I wondered if any of you ladies have noticed them also. The places I've seen these has mainly been out west and at the bigger contests dances.
The changes are using sequined material for blouses and neon colors for ribbon applique`. Also, have any of you noticed how big the purses and fans are getting?:Shocked
For those of you that have noticed the change, how about sharing your opinion.
Ndnsoldierboy likes this.
Mato Winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2001, 05:23 PM   #2
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I have seen it coming gradually. First the skirts got shorter. Then little by little you see purses change. Then you see the fans getting as big or bigger than the men's. I've sen the headbands with the feather up the back on almost every girl now. With the contest world so very much with us anymore, they have to keep up with colors and fabrics. But if you look closely you still see the same patterns and color schemes working yet. The color I have seen making it way seriously into outfits is orange. No longer used for accent, there are whole outfits now. It is a color that has a lot of shades that are not flattering to the outfits as a main color.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2001, 09:01 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I am by no means an expert or have been into the southern cloth dance scene for a long enough time to judge, but I am with you on that color orange deal!! It should either be an accent like you said or balanced out more with another bright or dark color like blue and red. Besides county inmates, who really does the color orange flatter? LOL...just kidding folks...having a little fun here.
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2001, 03:05 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
Give me the beautiful old traditional style with the true old-time colors in the applique and ribbon work, the gorgeous non-show biz fabrics and the graceful sway of shawls.
BeadedPony is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2001, 06:40 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

dwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond reputedwnsouthndn has a reputation beyond repute
Changes

depending on which southern cloth are you talking about? There are some that are more traditional and some that are more comtempary. The traditional ones are less flashy and have more of a theme to the dress. The comtemporary ones are more for a show type of dress(a attention getter, good if you are a contest dancer). I have no problem with the color orange, in fact it is one of my favorite colors. A dress can be real pretty using orange if the right colors are used to accent orange!!! Remember not everyone likes the same thing, that's what makes everyone unique!!

:stooges: If you don't stand for something; you'll fall for anything! :stooges:
dwnsouthndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2001, 05:12 PM   #6
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
colors

I was talking more of some complections a yellow is not flattering to the persons face. But you make that same yellow an accent color away from the skin and it can beautiful. It is the same with most colors. I would suggest that girls and - yes even you guys- get with someone the works with ribbonwork. Not to learn how to work with the colors. The colors should compliments each other not fight each other. Some of the best outfits I have seen do not have to use sparkley material. But everything compliments each other in color and proportion. Since my colors are primerally red, yellow, and blue with a long skirt, I would not
choose a short tail for the new shorter skirts not would I choose accesories with green, orange and grey. For men I would not choose say a belt made for someone 6'4" on someone 5'6". You want harmony in your clothes no matter the style.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:25 PM   #7
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Well said Beth!
Old 01-11-2002, 05:58 PM   #8
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Besides the neon colors, what do you all think of using the sequins material for the blouses?
Old 01-11-2002, 07:32 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

southern_apache_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen some changes within the past year. I think it is okay we donīt want to be the only catagory that hasnīt. With the sequined dresses it looks okay as long as the colors are not that loud. If it were just the shirt or shirt that is sequined it would look okay, but if its the whole T-dress that is sequined I donīt think so. (my cousin has one, I hope she doesnīt know itīs me with this name.) I say if you want to wear it and you like it thats cool.
(this is only what I think)
southern_apache_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2002, 04:00 AM   #10
Honey Connoissuer

I love the look of the sequined shirts and blouses...so pretty and eye catching!! I just don't like to sew that stuff LOL!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 09:15 AM   #11
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
as everything else in the world goes, things change, so will southern cloth
Someone always has a new way to make an outfit, a new way to design.
I am glad women change instead the same old boring stuff, that means we are thinking, have imaginations and use what we are given.
But given that I'm different, it would be hard for me to change my dress, tried before didn't feel right.
I applaud the women who change and add new and exciting looks to thier dresses and their fans and purses they look good.
Keep it up.
D

Last edited by Okwataga; 01-10-2007 at 04:06 PM..
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2002, 03:55 PM   #12
Mz. Beanie

Ima Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond repute
I like some of the things I have been seeing. While I think some things should stay traditonal and not change, I think we can make good use of the newer materials and still remain consistant with the old ways. After all we use beads and ribbon now.
Ima Humanbean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2002, 08:59 PM   #13
Tsuzy girl

silverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond reputesilverfeather has a reputation beyond repute
With the proper blend I think you can use most any kind of material and make it look GREAT! I like some of the newer materials although I might not use some of them because of my being an older woman, it is nice to see how they are being used to accent our dresses.

Silverfeather
Old 02-05-2002, 01:30 PM   #14
Honey Connoissuer

I can't speak for others, but the Iroquois started wearing them during the victorian period..but shorter and usually made of velvet...not fully beaded ones like the princess crowns.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:03 PM   #15
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
I think that when it comes down to it, it depends on really what the dancer is trying for.
I've seen some who have used a lot of ribbon work and beadwork and shiny materials, and everything works and looks really great.
Then I've also like the more simple look too. I personally use less the most other dancers just the way I am. I've tried the fancy materials, lots of beadwork and just didn't feel right to me.
But liek anything else that comes laong, we do change and we add to it and make it our own. So to those that use the sharper look, way to go. and to those that stay with the more traditional look way to go for you also.
They both look good!
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2002, 09:02 PM   #16
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Cool

To wear a crown you use to have t be a winner of a princess contest.
But the styles are changing as well as the traditions. If we talk about Iroquis dress, that is another group and time. It almost looks like they are all starting to blend together. One day we might not be able to tell one group of women dancers from the other.

I still prefer the old traditional style of Southern Cloth with the good old basics (and no sequins). There is really very little beadwork as compared to Buckskinn or some of the other dance styles expecially what we see today. Guess you will have to put me in the Grandmothers dance. And I am no grandmother. How about old timers group.....? :Angel2

tipis
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2002, 10:09 AM   #17
STATE

Change takes place in all the dance categories, especially when competition in the main factor. I have changed my outfits each year to bring something new out. I wore rhinestones on my crown in 1992 and am currently in the process of new beadwork that is only cutbeads. I have never gone fluorescent, but I think it looks pretty on some of the ribbonwork. I have seen sequin or sparkle shirts in Osage country all my life and I have always thought they were beautiful. Personally, I would like to get a bit more flashier, but my mom would have alot to say about that. ha ha My grandmother did ribbonwork all her life and she always said, stay with the primary colors and go from there. My mom is the same way. Black or white are always good colors for your skirt because they catch your eye from afar. I think everything will go full circle and the old school styles and colors are on their way back in. We have definitely tried just about everything and where else to go but back to the basics? Whatever, you change with times or you get left behind.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2002, 03:03 PM   #18
Beth

ribbonwork

Just got back from OK. For the Ladies it is mostly just one color on top of another with a ribbonwork shawl to match the skirt.
Saw a young lady that had used some jaquared material for a strip of ribbonwork with about 4 pain ribbons added. Looked good.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:54 AM   #19
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
I agree with STATE, you have to change a little to keep up or get left behind.

A little glitz is okay, a few rhinestones, some shiny fabric (I like bridal satin) and tight stitching for outline effect. Sequins are nice if you can wear them but I hate to sew with them! Times are changing, color is nice and flash is fine too - just don't get too far away from tradition.

Your clothes should reflect the type of person you are and the style you dance. In my opinion - not what will get you noticed because you "outshine" the others.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2002, 07:14 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ayita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond repute
Well i have seen flashy but i really like my tear dress and i may go a little bit flashier and make a t dress with ribbion work but right now i like where i am. But everyone else ya'll are looking good and getting very creative.