Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of you have noticed a new look in Southern cloth regalia?
I've noticed and think the changes are great. 45 34.88%
I've noticed and don't like the new look. 37 28.68%
I'll be using the new ideas on a future outfit for myself. 12 9.30%
I have no intentions of ever using any of these ideas. 16 12.40%
I haven't noticed any changes yet. 19 14.73%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree20Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Changes in Southern Cloth Changes in Southern Cloth

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2002, 11:35 AM   #21
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Digatlawa is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question

Hello, this is my very first post! Well, I live in De, and travel to the area of Lancaster/Reading Pa every weekend to powwow, and I haven't seen a change at all. Here's a thought , if everyone uses these bright and showey colors, everyone would start to look the same, right? So, wouldn't it be different for someone to go with the older styles just to stand out?
STATE
Old 04-24-2002, 11:41 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

Digatlawa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Hello, this is my very first post! Well, I live in De, and travel to the area of Lancaster/Reading Pa every weekend to powwow, and I haven't seen a change at all. Here's a thought , if everyone uses these bright and showey colors, everyone would start to look the same, right? So, wouldn't it be different for someone to go with the older styles just to stand out?
STATE is right to say if you don't keep up you'll be left behind, but I just don't see it as a big thing. One day I think, cloth dancers will try to go back to the old styles, because it has gotten too modern. They will be trying to grab at things that are almost gone. Am I wrong to think that? :Blush :dontknow:

Digatlawa
Old 04-24-2002, 11:46 AM   #23
STATE

That sounds right to me. I have been doing limes, pinks, lilacs, orange, but I am getting ready to go back to basics with red, blue and black with yellow accents. I have also purchased new beadwork, replaced the rhinestones with cut beads and hoping that it will come together just right. You never know until you put it all on and see how it feels. I am very blessed to have a mom who has the gift of picking out just the right colors and how they are to be sewn and the style of dress that is correct for my tribes. I also have a very good friend who sews for me, and is an excellent seamstress. She sews exactly how my mom instructs her and is very trustworthy with my design. The design that I have was given to me by my grandmother when I was Sac & Fox Tribal princess and it is very intricate. She has never attempted to duplicate it as I have heard is the trouble sometimes when having someone sew for you. I have alot of respect for her as well as faith in her work. I am looking forward to seeing what all is coming out this weekend at Gathering as well as Red Earth in June. Hope everyone has a great weekend as well as a prosperous and safe pow wow summer.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2002, 11:57 AM   #24
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okay let me ask another questin here
the breastplate, very beautiful piece -
but why do we wear it?
i've seen some with a front and back half then there's northern with the long piece - is it something we have taken from the men also?
I know they can be heavy at times and everything - but like i ask before why do we wear it?
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #25
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 39,731.21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYSA
Okay let me ask another questin here
the breastplate, very beautiful piece -
but why do we wear it?
i've seen some with a front and back half then there's northern with the long piece - is it something we have taken from the men also?
I know they can be heavy at times and everything - but like i ask before why do we wear it?
I always thought it was just to make everything look prettier. I know my tribe never wore them (women). But I was just talking to a friend about hating to wear scarves around my neck when I dance and how I would like to get a choker, but he pointed out the the scarves are more traditional....so now I guess I'll go look for some different scarves to go with some new stuff. *L*

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2004, 04:55 PM   #26
Turtle Clan

wt_thunder will become famous soon enough
I wear a women's choker, a scarf, and a small leather bag (good for coffee shunia). All made from light, non bulky materials.

- deer skin tan leather bag, very flat, leather fringed, 3" w X 6" l
- Silk scarf with a small wooden turtle pin
- three tier wood and small bone choker

I don't wear a breast plate. Just too darn heavy I tried one once and it cut off the blood flow. Lol
I do like the idea about one long strip of lacy material the girls have got going. When those high steppers with that straight back lean dance, the lace hangs down and touches the ground - very eye-pleasing and unusual.

wt_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #27
Junior Dancer

ANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond reputeANNA NICOLE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,499.33
I love this message!! *LOL* you all have some really good opinions. I have noticed a severe change in southern cloth dancing and dress. It has gotten a lot more flashier in both step and dress. I personally dress tradtional and dance the older style. And alot of times i get over looked in contest because i dont wear tons of rhinestones and tons on sequin clothes. But i wasnt brought up that way. my dad brought me up old school, and that is all that i know and what i'll teach my kids...whenever that stork drops on by....but regardless, i give many props to those of you out there in pow-wow land that still dance tradtional southern cloth, cause its easier to change and go with the times than it is to stay true to what you know. just my few thoughts...love ya.....
Old 05-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #28
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,575.67
EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED!

Our ancestors ALL changed to fit the times. When cloth became available, all our ancestors eventually accepted it and replaced the animal skins and hides they were using.

Cloth had a lot of advantages, it was light weight, could be easily cleaned, was easily sewn together and was cool in the summer. Cloth was eventually used as a measure of trade and status. Early cloth dresses were simple and functional for everyday use.

Eventually tribal designs were added and the patterns were specialized for formal occasions. This was a time when women were not allowed in the warrior (man dance) arenas, and women had to dance in place in front of their seats.

Then came World War I and everything CHANGED! Tribes who were former enemies danced to one common drum beat at Intertribal powwows. Women returned as warriors and began dancing in the arena beside the men - for the first time.

Cloth dance regalia was then specifically for dances and then put away with care until the next dance took place. Tribes not normally associated with powwow cultures adopted the powwow as their new expresssion of being Indian.

Then the contest came onto the scene. Powwow participants began to CHANGE the look of what was deemed tribally traditional. Long standing cultural practices have given way to constantly changing trends in dance AND regalia.

"Indian people are dynamic and continually evolve according to the times. We are not static. We adapt new styles and trends and add them to our culture."

WHOME 2004

-
Old 05-28-2004, 03:35 PM   #29
StanfordPW*Publicity*Diva

Miss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond repute
Some of the contemporary cloth dresses are really pretty if not completely traditional looking. That seems to be necessary for contesting. I don't have too much of a problem with them, but I prefer more ol' school Kiowa dresses for myself. I think each one of my dresses goes further back in time rather than "progressing." :)
Miss_Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #30
JIMMY HENDRIX ROYALTY

NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
NDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond reputeNDNKIDZ has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Good reading everyone...:) Cloth dancers today have such an array of different colors to choose from that didnt exist years ago. Brighter ,flashier, more vivid colors are available at a resonable cost... As WhoMe stated change will always be a factor in dance clothes and you will see trends come and go.. My daughter chooses not to wear rhinestones on her dance clothes or a crown like most of the other cloth dancers she competes and dances with. but really enjoys desienging (sp) outfits that use the brighter colors and still match her old style of beadwork. Goot posting and keep the goot commentary coming..:)
Old 05-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #31
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
Yup, this is really good reading. I also like the traditional T dress, but like it spruced up with good beadwork. And I do LOVE my breastplate. I made mine a little longer in front and back on purpose and it helps me stay on beat. It works like a pendulum or dang, what's that piano timing instrument called? (getting old). Anyway, when my breastplate, shawl and dress are in sync I really get into the groove!
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #32
Experienced Dancer

acgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
I agree. Cloth dancing and regalia has changed but I like using the bright colors and rhinestones. I like the sparkle of the rhinestones when the light hits them. It just seems to catch the eye.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 AM   #33
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 430.00
CYSA is the most stubborn person when it comes to new trends. i sew for her and practically have to dress her kicking and screaming into uptodate contest style outifts. I just got her into the two piece southern style dresses this past year. She really likes to stay low key in her outfits. That's cools with me, though. It gives me a chance to do more old-style outfits instead of racking my brain about how to make the neon colors and basic colors flow together.

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?
FancyStar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #34
JinglinChica22

I Dont Dance Southern Cloth Anymore But The Changes I've Seen I Think They Look Great..I Know One The Dresses I"m Turning It Into A Jingle Dress..I Still Have The Shawl For That & Another Outfit..I Dunno What I"m Gonna Do With Them..I've Tried To Post On The Trading Post But It Will Not Lemme! *Stupid Thing*
Old 06-02-2004, 11:51 PM   #35
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingle_dress_gurl17
I've Tried To Post On The Trading Post But It Will Not Lemme! *Stupid Thing*
Trading post was converted over to a classified section.. It is up and running now so you can post there. I posted some video games so I know it is working. ;)
Old 06-04-2004, 07:34 AM   #36
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen the changes and the outfits look really great, but I sew the T-dress, it's what I was taught. Right now I am trying to learn to sew a fancy shawl. Everyone makes is sound so easy.
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 AM   #37
JinglinChica22

yeah i saw that on the trading post, i put them in there yesterday
Old 06-07-2004, 04:07 AM   #38
Turtle Clan

wt_thunder will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelloweyes
Right now I am trying to learn to sew a fancy shawl. Everyone makes is sound so easy.
I made my daughter a fancy shawl outfit with a regular skirt pattern and a vest pattern. I altered a western vest pattern, extending the waist to lace up the back. The back part of the vest I cut into a square to create the flap part then I sewed strips of ribbon about 24" to 30 " long. Trimming it with white silk laced material. It turned out pretty good.

Note: About those dance regailias - I tried to find powwow dance patterns in the sewing section at Walmart stores but it all looked so ridiculous. It's amazing to me that they pass those off for "real indian wear." I have to laugh.

wt_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #39
BACK UP SINGER

sweetndn49 is on a distinguished road
i have been dancing for awhile..and i have noticed alot of changes in cloth dresses and the new looks for everyone..i like the change...but it makes it hard for people to look at tha new stuff and know what tribal affiliation they are. my grandmother has always told me to be proud of my tribes and not try to be something im not. but there have been alot of good looking outfits ....just my two cents
sweetndn49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2004, 07:10 AM   #40
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
wt_thunder thanks for the suggestion on the vest sounds easy and I am going to give it a try.
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links