Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of you have noticed a new look in Southern cloth regalia?
I've noticed and think the changes are great. 45 34.88%
I've noticed and don't like the new look. 37 28.68%
I'll be using the new ideas on a future outfit for myself. 12 9.30%
I have no intentions of ever using any of these ideas. 16 12.40%
I haven't noticed any changes yet. 19 14.73%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree20Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Changes in Southern Cloth Changes in Southern Cloth

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 07:26 AM   #41
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
yeah fancystar you do have it tough with me don't you sorry just liekthe more plain and simple to the sparkle and glitz

am trying to work tribal designs into my dresses adn shawls will keep fancystar busy for awhile

the changes in southern cloth has been neat I think to see what others come up with and to make it so beautiful is just awesome
Old 02-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #42
Tiny Tot Dancer

Pathfinder has a spectacular aura about
I'm a 40-something Southern Cloth Dancer. I think what I call "the evolution of style" is wonderful, as long as it's done respectfully. When I started dancing, Ladies Cloth was very plain looking. Why shouldn't we shine also? I just try to keep it in the right perspective. I'd rather see good quality shiny beadwork than just loud fabrics.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #43
Tiny Tot Dancer

Change is good. It keeps us alert. We just need to remember to be respectful of the dance circle.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #44
Olathe-Tehya-Nituna-Ayita

iolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond reputeiolana1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 389.75
Personally I like the new changes. How are we the ones who compete on a regular basis suspost to keep up with others. Sure some outfits are really really good while some are down right tacky. I mean dont get me wrong I do like to dress in traditional regalia but I see now that the judges go for what's new and unique. Like some powwows in the south they go for who's got the newest and best designs. Personally I dont like those types of powwows cause usually they are fixed but what can I do about it? I guess just live with it and try my best. I also give kudos to those who come up with unique ideas. You know who you are. As someone once told me you have to do what you have to do if not get off the dance floor and stay in the sidelines.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #45
I'm Yaqui --- Not YUCKY!!

JinglinBooty is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelloweyes
I've seen the changes and the outfits look really great, but I sew the T-dress, it's what I was taught. Right now I am trying to learn to sew a fancy shawl. Everyone makes is sound so easy.
Your basic fancy shawl outfit is easy to sew together....its the designing and appliqueing that is the difficult part!

http://myspace.com/haaka
JinglinBooty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #46
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
yea i've noticed the change (in all categories) - some people are gettin out of hand with the neon and rhinestones (never understood the need for them on your mocs - they just get dirty/muddy and stop shinin after awhile - waste of money i think). havin to shield your eyes when some dancers go by during the height of the midday sun!!

i myself also prefer the primary colors - they will always look good.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #47
Tiny Tot Dancer

tweety_rez is a jewel in the rough
I think the change is inevitable, its life. I was sitting at the mall the other day waiting for my kids to get out of the movies, and so I people watched. I was sitting there thinking dang......its all changed from when I was little. Then I saw an old Indian man from my tribe walk by looking lost....he sat down and waited. It made me think...dang, just think how he see all this....I bet it's really really different from when he was a little boy. Change...its inevitable why would it be absent from the pow wow arena???? I guess the only thing I think is weird, is the japanse or chinese prints making it to the t-dresses...holy we are really becoming a multicultural event!!! Anyways, I like change...you can alway count on change.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #48
Tiny Tot Dancer

Talking Soouthern Cloth Changes

Tweety,

I agree about the inevitability of change. Every day the world starts over. But, I kind of agree about the oriental prints. But, they are really pretty. Not saying I would never wear them, but who knows.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #49
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
yea some of those oriental prints are pretty and i've seen some ladies out this way wearing east indian silks for their day dresses and jingle dresses. very beautiful prints and most are used for saris (not sure the of the spelling but you know those dresses east indian woman wear). my sister went to go price some of that silk out and it was $80 CDN a metre!!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #50
wshniwuzbdn

beadmom is on a distinguished road
Credits: 233.90
Neon Fabric

Speaking of neon fabric, my son is wanting neon green for his next grass outfit. I am having lots of trouble finding this color. We have found neon yellow, pink, orange, but the only green has been in bathing suit material! We have found ribbons but not material we can use in applique. Any places in Texas or online that you know about would be helpful.
beadmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #51
&a mp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; gt;&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp; amp;amp; amp;amp; amp;gt;: +:&a m p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;

Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 590.00
I think people got carried away with the Neon Flourecent colors,

especially in the Southwest. It can look dope sometimes.

see my powwow videos here...
www.youtube.com/oaklee84
Mr Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #52
Tiny Tot Dancer

Fringesnapper will become famous soon enough
Southwestern is right..... it seems like a few from the Southwestern non traditional pow-wow tribes like to create their own dress style and call it Jingle Dress or Straight Dance or Southern Cloth, etc. Take a little from this tribe, take a little from that tribe and call it traditional. Whatever. As long as we real deals continue to validate it, it will continue.BLING BLING.....
Fringesnapper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #53
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Here is a look at the future of those non-traditional neon flash dancers!
Attached Thumbnails
clowns.jpg  
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #54
Tiny Tot Dancer

Wihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnsouthndn
depending on which southern cloth are you talking about? There are some that are more traditional and some that are more comtempary. The traditional ones are less flashy and have more of a theme to the dress. The comtemporary ones are more for a show type of dress(a attention getter, good if you are a contest dancer). I have no problem with the color orange, in fact it is one of my favorite colors. A dress can be real pretty using orange if the right colors are used to accent orange!!! Remember not everyone likes the same thing, that's what makes everyone unique!!
Not trying to sound mean but........maybe they should have southern cloth contests and start a new category for the flashiest and forget about the dancing part. Sorry but I like the traditional look and it looks nicer. Let me tell you.....it's hard to make a "real" traditional dress. It can be expensive cause real ribbon for ribbonwork, broadcloth for skirts and dresses, cutbeads for beadwork, buckskin for dresses and real eagle feathers for fans. In this day and age, it's big lustre cut beads, rhinestones, neon fabrics for ribbonwork and etc. .....Some outfits remind me of the old movie musicals. I don't think there is anyone who will agree with me but that's okay.
Wihey1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #55
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihey1
Not trying to sound mean but........maybe they should have southern cloth contests and start a new category for the flashiest and forget about the dancing part. Sorry but I like the traditional look and it looks nicer. Let me tell you.....it's hard to make a "real" traditional dress. It can be expensive cause real ribbon for ribbonwork, broadcloth for skirts and dresses, cutbeads for beadwork, buckskin for dresses and real eagle feathers for fans. In this day and age, it's big lustre cut beads, rhinestones, neon fabrics for ribbonwork and etc. .....Some outfits remind me of the old movie musicals. I don't think there is anyone who will agree with me but that's okay.
Wihey1,
I agree with you and in fact, I'll run ahead of you to nudge those non-traditional dancers out of the way. Just kidding, I'd never disrespect any dancer and as second thought, I figure that Southern Cloth may just need a little jazzing up.

Last edited by quicksilverwade; 05-17-2005 at 12:16 PM..
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #56
#1 Sooner Fan

blkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond repute
Back in the day rhinestones were only used on the earrings and the top of the crown. It was a nice little sparkle without taking away from the beadwork or the dress. These days it seems like some women could pass for Las Vegas showgirls.

I have to agree that some people will wear other tribal dresses without permission from anyone just cause they like the way it looks. What in the h*** is wrong with being proud of the way your own tribe dresses. Most of the women in OK will still wear their own tribal dress but just jazz it up.
blkjack_daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #57
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
It has changed alot and I have to say that I have changed to go with the times. But I do still wear my own tribal dress. I saw on the GON photos alot of ribbonwork dresses on people I know are not Ponca, Sac&fox, Otoe, Pawnee, Kaw, Ho Chunk or Mesquakie.LOL They were from out west. Like I have said before, you can always tell by the design what tribe your dress is from. You can tell an imposter too. LOL
I started wearing rhinestones in 1992 after receiving a set of beadwork from Lisa Ewalk in a giveaway...it already had the rhinestones on it so I just work it and made the southern accessories to match the beadwork. I caught it from alot of my aunties and gma's and had to defend the fact that it was a gift and i wore it with respect and pride for the giver.
I continue to change with the times, only a little, not any flourescent(my mom won't let me, haha).It is really expensive to make a ribbonwork set, the materials are expensive, and my mom insists on using the best materials so it can last for several years. In fact, my girls are wearing some of my stuff from ten or twelve years ago and it still looks good because we invested in the proper materials for the outfit. Broadcloth is expensive, especially the five band material. YIKES, but it is worth it when you have the finished product. LOL Hope everyone enjoys their summer and looking forward to seeing some nice new regalias in cloth this summer.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #58
Tiny Tot Dancer

Fringesnapper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkjack_daisy
Back in the day rhinestones were only used on the earrings and the top of the crown. It was a nice little sparkle without taking away from the beadwork or the dress. These days it seems like some women could pass for Las Vegas showgirls.

I have to agree that some people will wear other tribal dresses without permission from anyone just cause they like the way it looks. What in the h*** is wrong with being proud of the way your own tribe dresses. Most of the women in OK will still wear their own tribal dress but just jazz it up.

Back in the day (now I'm not going to date myself but I will say in the early 60's), we wore our grandma and mom's old costume jewelry earrings. We had beadwork hairties, medallions, etc., just the earring were costume jewelry....... interesting how things have changed.
Fringesnapper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #59
Tiny Tot Dancer

Wihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant futureWihey1 has a brilliant future
Wink

I've read all the comments and there's some good points and bad points. I've seen some good dancers that never get picked because their clothes aren't flashy enough. Then I've seen some that always get picked with flashy clothes that can't keep time if their life depended on it. This goes back to dressing to be noticed. If you really want to be noticed...save your money and come into the arena NAKED! I bet you'd be noticed then and it would be free!!!!!! You might even put a neon plume in your hair. (Just jokin around as usual)

Seriously, read how some of the comments were made.

Judges HAVE AOT TO DO WITH IT TOO!

Fringesnapper: I recall seeing rhinestone earrings on girls in buckskins. I have pictures of my mom wearing them.

Last edited by Wihey1; 06-03-2005 at 11:54 AM..
Wihey1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 AM   #60
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
Beadmom, how would flagging material work? I have used it as applique on a shawl before. When I saw flagging I mean like you use to make flags that hang on your house.