Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of you have noticed a new look in Southern cloth regalia?
I've noticed and think the changes are great. 45 34.88%
I've noticed and don't like the new look. 37 28.68%
I'll be using the new ideas on a future outfit for myself. 12 9.30%
I have no intentions of ever using any of these ideas. 16 12.40%
I haven't noticed any changes yet. 19 14.73%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree20Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Changes in Southern Cloth Changes in Southern Cloth

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #61
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by minne-wheats
I think people got carried away with the Neon Flourecent colors,....

hard on the eyes

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #62
singer/dancer

blackraven26b is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
yea the women are starting to use brighter colors...i dont see what the problem would be...what about ne on else...it kinda goes along with mens tradish northern and southern the are bright than the old days....alot brighter
blackraven26b is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #63
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
There's a difference between being "bright" and being an "eyesore".... some fluorescence neon colors are really hard to look at.

I'm not against having bright colors (my own regalia is full of it - just not neon/fluroescent stuff)... and I'm not really against someone else (male or female) using it if that's what they want.

My opinion is that it should be used in moderation since too much is often hard on others' eyes.

Consider the judges... if they have a hard time watching a dancer wearing nothing but fluorescent neon colors then they aren't as likely going to place that person very high in competition.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #64
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNQt
Beadmom, how would flagging material work? I have used it as applique on a shawl before. When I saw flagging I mean like you use to make flags that hang on your house.
Most decorative flags (and kites for that matter) are made out of nylon, particularly rip-stop nylon. You probably wouldn't be using rip-stop nylon since it wouldn't look right.

The non-rip-stop variety frays so if you plan to use it for regalia, it is best to have a serger sewing machine and serg all edges before you sew it together. You can get nylon and nylon-blend fabrics in a variety of colors and patterns... some are all one color with a design woven into it.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #65
pow-wow gear central!

tribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond repute
battle plan

Well, I'm a straight dancer, but most of the folks, guys and girls, I know kinda follow the same battle plan. Take enough outfits with you to change it up each dance session. I always pack a traditional outfit, a modern one, and several shirts to match both, then I usually try and dress opposite the way everyone else is going, and also show that you know your traditional ways, but can also bling it up with the best of them!
tribaltagz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #66
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

that would work really good if you have money to make/buy/? all the different outfits

since I really don't fit into any one category right now and my finances are always a bit too lean, I am very limited...

I do have material for my next ribbon dress, which I plan to have ready for my next university commencement :D ... just need to get my trimmings and time to sew it... I'm so excited too.. the BA is sooo long overdue

Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #67
~*Retired smokedancer*

seneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond reputeseneca*one has a reputation beyond repute
I've been dancing southern cloth for about 10 years. I make a new set of beadwork every two years or so. I usually make that first, then figure out the dress from there. I've noticed a change~ when I do my beadwork, my designs get more and more intricate, it's what I see everyone else wearing. When I go to bigger pow wows and I see the flourescent dresses, it's like HOLY!, i need to catch up with these girls. I noticed though, I keep my colors simple, blues, whites, rainbow borders, and I don't stick out enough. I've even tried going JUMBO sizes, even medallions and chokers are getting enormous! my medallion is the size of a piece of paper, I almost made it a purse. But oh well, that's just me keeping up with the times.....and the crowd!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #68
Senior Dancer

trob226 is a splendid one to beholdtrob226 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 82.00
I've been seeing some "see-through" material being used over the bodice area, with solid underneath - I don't like it myself.
trob226 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #69
Pow-wow Princess

this_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 121.00
Well comming from a person who dances the cloth style, and is a contest dancer. I like the changes! It's something different and something that defines your own style!
windanncer likes this.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #70
Mammaw

annaedwards is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 951.17
I am new to southern style dancing, but have been dancing northern style for a while. I always look at change as a good thing, to me it means growth. I am building a southern outfit, but I prefer to stick to more regular colors that blend with each other. However, I am an older lady. The neon colors look great on younger ladies and I love the unusual types of material. They may not be for me, but regalia is traditional/personal choice. If you have any suggestions for me in building a southern outfit, please let me know. I am part Cherokee and Cheyenne. I prefer the look of the ribbon skirt and shirt, as well as the comfort.
Eagle Plumes likes this.

Last edited by annaedwards; 08-01-2014 at 07:18 AM..
annaedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #71
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Like anything else chage comes with time, wait a while and it will go some other direction, do it dont do it just what ever you do carry yourself the way you are supposed to and all will be fine :)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #72
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
Like anything else chage comes with time, wait a while and it will go some other direction, do it dont do it just what ever you do carry yourself the way you are supposed to and all will be fine :)
Hey! E.P. wuz here!
windanncer likes this.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #73
Banned

stinac12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 169.01
new dancer for traditional southern cloth

Good morning all, I have a few questions and am brand new to the site as well as dancing. I've always gone to powwows as a child but we never knew what tribes we came from until now, we come from Serrano and Miwok decedents. I'd like to start with making a traditional cloth dress and what I've noticed some of you saying is the changes in colors and that you are not fond of them, I agree. Beautiful but not my style. A friend of mine introduced me to more details of the regalia I should look into and made a red shawl with the Marine Corps emblem as I'm a USMC veteran.

My question is, would a long black A line dress with sleeves be appropriate to start on? Ribbon pieces along the bottom and on the sleeves in rows?

To match my shawl I was thinking of colors being red, gold, white, and dark blue for any beadwork and ribbon. I'm looking for any guidance as I'd like to dance traditional, one day in buckskin, but for now in cloth as I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I'm not sure what to do for headpieces also, braided to one side, feather, headband?

Any guidance will be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
stinac12 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links