Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By chahtacheyenne
  • 1 Post By blueberry111
  • 1 Post By chahtacheyenne
  • 1 Post By blueberry111
  • 1 Post By neling4

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Choctaw/Cherokee Women's Southern Cloth Dancing Choctaw/Cherokee Women's Southern Cloth Dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chahtacheyenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 134.01
Savings: 0.00
Choctaw/Cherokee Women's Southern Cloth Dancing

Halito!

Sv hochifo yvt Cheyenne! My name is Cheyenne and I am wondering what regalia is required for Choctaw (or Cherokee) Southern Cloth dancing? Is it just the traditional dress and apron with diamond trim, beaded collar, etc. plus the fan, ribbons and purse?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Yakoke!
Cheyenne
windanncer and Chickadee like this.
chahtacheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
blueberry

Items User Name Style ChangeUser Title Change
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,507.37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahtacheyenne View Post
Halito!

Sv hochifo yvt Cheyenne! My name is Cheyenne and I am wondering what regalia is required for Choctaw (or Cherokee) Southern Cloth dancing? Is it just the traditional dress and apron with diamond trim, beaded collar, etc. plus the fan, ribbons and purse?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Yakoke!
Cheyenne
Hello!
Either a Choctaw with collar or Cherokee dress with the sash or a concho or beaded belt and specific to band. It is even more effective if done with traditional designs of your tribe.
A beaded belt set (awl, bag and knife case) and jewelry set (bead medallion or choker, hairties, earrings, rings) would look very good with it. Carry a shawl, fan which is traditionally Turkey, and purse.
Let me know if you have any more questions..
windanncer likes this.
blueberry111 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

I already have the traditional regalia; dress, collar, medallions, misc. jewelry, apron, moccasins, etc. but I do not have a fan or purse. Thank you for your information!

Any advice on how to integrate into the ring? I do not want to disrespect my elders or tribe in anyway and would like to learn as much as possible!

Yakoke!
windanncer likes this.

"Okla moma pullakako nana abvnna atahli."
Do what needs to be done for the good of all.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
blueberry

Items User Name Style ChangeUser Title Change
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,507.37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahtacheyenne View Post
I already have the traditional regalia; dress, collar, medallions, misc. jewelry, apron, moccasins, etc. but I do not have a fan or purse. Thank you for your information!

Any advice on how to integrate into the ring? I do not want to disrespect my elders or tribe in anyway and would like to learn as much as possible!

Yakoke!
Very welcome.
The rings are fairly new. They are composed of a beaded motif on backed material attaching to a ring blank and then attach with beads to a bracelet, but of course this is totally optional. I think silver rings look better.
For purses, it would stand out greatly to use the traditional cherokee bandolier bag over the shoulder unless you like the normal swirly sparkly beaded ones. Online for ideas is berrybeadwork.com for the bags, etc. very good work.
Good luck!
windanncer likes this.
blueberry111 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular OneParty of Five
Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
You don't need a fan for Cherokee cloth dancing, but you do need a basket purse.
windanncer likes this.
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Chickadee is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 110.00
Smile Regalia Dress

I am a Native who knows little about proper regalia for the Eastern Band of Cherokee and those who went through the Trail of Tears. I don't even know where to start, but I need a regalia dress, dancing shawl, etc. because I'm a member of the Native American Center of SE Minnesota where we often do dance & drummings, and I want to represent my people with the appropriate dress. Is there anyone out there that can help me?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

I meant the dancing circle when I said ring; not jewelry. Sorry, should have worded that slightly different. I know there can be special dances for those wishing to dance for the first time and/or donations made to the drum, organizers and head dancers. I am just not sure how to go about getting this information.

I would prefer to dance in my Choctaw regalia as that the tribe my family & myself are most associated to. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

"Okla moma pullakako nana abvnna atahli."
Do what needs to be done for the good of all.
Sponsored Links