Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Comanche colors Comanche colors

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
glp is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Comanche colors

Hi, I'm wondering anyone could tell me the colors for the Comanche Indians?
Also what kind of material to use for the dress and wrap?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:30 PM   #2
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
colors

They seems to favor greens and yellows and combos of those colors. MAterials run the rane from cotton to satin to sequined, etc.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2002, 11:44 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

paraivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond reputeparaivo has a reputation beyond repute
Just some of my observations of old. When constructing your cloth dress and peetsquina. Comanches usually have the peetsquina a contrasting color or hue than the dress, while Kiowas will have the wrap(apron) the same material as the dress.
Please be sure to make sure your boots (leggings) are proper Comanche construction also. I see too many ladies wearing comanche dresses and then wearing Kiowa or S. Cheyenne boots with them. Remember, proper Comanche boots do not have any beadwork below the ankle.
There is also a proper way to wear the belt set, and try and make sure the designs on those are correct also. I have also seen many ladies have other tribes beadwork designs on the belt sets. This blending of styles really detracts from the uniqueness and beauty of traditonal comanche clothes. Justs my 2 cents worth.
paraivo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2002, 11:03 AM   #4
STATE

It also depends on what band you are from. (Which side of the mountains you come from lol). There is red, green, yellow, and blue. I agree with the response above, know what band you are from and how they wear their colors and the designs that they use. My girls are penatukas, they wear yellow. They are also members of the Little Ponies and Wildhorse Descendants.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

glp is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink colors

Thanks All:D
Old 10-16-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
To add to Paraivo's comments about the boots...Comanche boots a really fitted over the foot -- ideally, you should be able to count your toes through the hide. There's a great pair of Comanche boots at Fort Lawton in the mini-museum that they have in the guard house (there's some of Quanah's things there) -- the wearer's toes look like they're still in the boots!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:08 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

lpchica is an unknown quantity at this point
colors.... maybe I'm confused

Since I'm not of native decent I've had to research a lot about a spacific tribe so I could make my outfit. In everything I have found about the Comanches, it has said that red was sought after and blue was the "next favorite." I also read that green was only worn during times of mourning. This is what I have read, but I may be wrong. If you know more could you please correct me... I would love to wear this nifty green material that I found. :)
lpchica is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2002, 05:15 PM   #8
STATE

If you are not Comanche, don't wear it. I am being blunt because I have 4 girls that are Comanche and if you are not, and you are researching an outfit just to wear it.....Don't.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:13 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I wasn't trying to say that I was in any way a wealth of knowledge, I was just writing what I had read.

Last edited by lpchica; 04-28-2003 at 10:59 PM..
Old 10-27-2002, 01:04 AM   #10
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
Comanche colors

Ipchica - have to agree with STATE. Don't get mad, try to understand her way of thinking.

First - in my opinion, there are only two ways in which you wear indian clothes (of any tribe). Those are:

1. You are born that way, or
2. Someone thought enough of you to dress you in that manner.

With that said, let me explain MY thought process. Being indian is not something you can learn from a book, a movie, role playing or through "an advisor". There are many, many accounts out there on what it is like to be indian - most are written by whites. Therefore you should consider your source of information. Being indian is something that is an everyday way of life, fromthe day you are born until the day you die. You can't change it - no matter how hard you try.

The traditions and way are sacred. Having been passed down through generations. Not just stories but real things like what you wear, how you carry yourself, your spiritual beliefs, the way you dress, your designs, beadwork techniques, some tribes even have special ways about the types of food you eat and when you eat them. There are traditional ways of doing things, some call it "old school" others call it a way of life.

This is not something that can be read, researched and understood. It is something that you have to live, on a daily basis, day in and day out. You can't just dress that way and think that someone is not going to get upset.

STATE was raised in a very traditional manner. She has very strong beliefs. I am very fortunate myself, being included in her family. I agree with her, if you are not Comanche - don't dress like one. If you "advisor" or group doesn't have a problem with it - maybe you should dress yourself in tribal clothes from a Texas tribe. I personall would love to have a fully beaded northern rig, but I am not northern so I just look at them and drool! LOL!

If you don't want to "step on toes" - watch where you are walking. This is a very serious matter and not one to be taken lightly. Maybe you should talk with some other Comanches before dressing in their manner.

Do not take offense, none is meant. Just want you to understand where you are headed.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2002, 09:26 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

I understand it is a way of life. I also understand that things are sacred and shouldn't be mocked, but that is not what I am doing. The Comanches are in Texas. My point of view is that how can you learn anything from just reading? It's like trying to learn about German culture without ever making the attempt to visit the country or learn about the parts of culture that make it different. The only way that I know how to learn this culture is to go to different events and observe and learn. But, I do not want to always just watch people dance... Iwant to dance too. I won't ever compete, but I do want to learn as much as I can. My wanting to learn and be involved is not my calling myself Comanche, any more than going and learning German is calling myself German. I understand that things are sacred and that they mean more than I could ever understand. All I want to do is try, not in a rude way, but in a way that I can fulfill an interest I have had all of my life. I am not trying to reduce culture to a hobby, but since I am white, I cannot do anything more.

Last edited by lpchica; 04-28-2003 at 11:01 PM..
Old 10-27-2002, 10:17 PM   #12
SNAGgles

Smile

I understand that you are learning. And I have respect for your acknowledgement of us Native American peoples.

From your previous post you indicate your going to make a Native regalia, and your going to wear it and dance.

Learning of Native Cultures is one thing , but to actively engage in cultural activities is another. As for powwows, even us Native Americans have to be brought into the Dance Arena(initiated). People have to realize that their is proper protocal. If proper protocol is not adheredto then your taking a risk.

My suggestion is to continue learning on whatever particular Nation you are interested in, but just leave it to learning not engaging. But the choice is yours. If you choose to go ahead in the direction you are, then you need to accept any consequences as result of that choice.

I'm not trying to judge you, but to provide you with my perspective as a Native American.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:53 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

noone is an unknown quantity at this point
i have to agree w/ state. and she being blunt for a reason, whether or not u know comanches has nothing to do with it, because i know of more than just a couple of comanches that would have a problem with people(those that havent been given the right to wear comanche clothes) that arent comanche dressin in comanche clothes, i myself am half comanche and fortunately for most people i am more willing to just let it go,lol! but im just saying becareful how do something, or how you wear something. it could lead you to get a good cussing out. what it boils down to is if ure not a certain tribe and you dont have permission to wear their clothes DONT WEAR THEM, END OF STORY!!!!!!
noone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2002, 11:50 AM   #14
fncyshwldncr4life

I am currently under works making my first southern tradish outfit. I live, dance, and grew up in the south, so in a way, its all I know, even though my tribe is northern. And I have always, ALWAYS, danced northern, even when I was the only one in the arena doin that style, but most peeps around here know me, and know who I am etc.. But anyways back to the case at hand, I am making a southern buckskin, but I had to get permission (in this case from commanche as well as kiowa) to do this. I was told that they are the only ones who have the right to dance southern, and believe me, they are very proud of this. And I am proud to get to wear it, but without the permission I wouldnt attempt it.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:37 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

sorry

I'm sorry for the things I have written and any offense I have given to anyone, especially STATE. Please forgive my mistakes, and accept my apology. I regret what I have done, and I don't intend to write anymore.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #16
Private Dancer

ctryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond reputectryprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Poor Ipchica, it's okay! *hug*

Hi STATE, you seem very informational, and I don't think you're too blunt, not without cause anyway.

This is an amazing thread. My daughter is Comanche. She is only 2 years old. We live here in the north. Her father is Tennyson Perdasofpy, his father Randy Perdasofpy. They are from Lawton. Anyway, I am attempting to start her outfit. I had researched my chops off (online) and hadn't found as much info as you just had here. :)

I would very much like her to honor her Comanche people in a fitting manner. Being from the north here, it's sort of hard, because there is not many Comanche around here. I'd love any help you may offer me. Please feel free to email me [email protected] with any suggestions or comments.

THANKS!
--Shawna
Old 11-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #17
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
Ipchica - why are you leaving? If you want to learn -- stay on.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

I won't leave... I just won't write very much.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

ndn_incognito is an unknown quantity at this point
STATE...I believe you are right in what you advise.

my kids have a Comanche brother and he is firm about what colors to wear. The whole family believes if you were not given the "RIGHT" to wear a certain peice, then you do not dress Comanche style.

as far as I have been taught with most tribes you do not go out ask "how to dress" and get yourself an outfit.

Someone dresses you -- that is the way I was taught and my kids were taught. My kids were brought out by someone who is an advisor.

Here is my nickels worth.

NIC :o
ndn_incognito is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Coyoteyip is an unknown quantity at this point
Comanche Colors

I think Nic has somevery good insight ipchica. It seems to me that the Comanche guard thier culture. Like you have said there isn't much information out there. Ask your self why? What are the reasons? Is this a crush or something more? (Is is it, I like those pretty beads and leather?) -- Remember the Indian in Men at Work ** that was in Bad Taste** --The Cherokee have made an industry with that of selling Cherokee this and that. Ipchica research your geneology be proud of who you are. With a name like Chica you perhaps maybe Hispanic descent study possible connections with Hispanic Tribes. The Kickapoo of Texas are one such tribe. It seems that anglo thinking( meaning white thinking- including blacks, Hispanics, Asian and some Natives too can be ignorant of culture because theirs is or they have adopted the dominant culture and not meant to be) proffessors have problems with stuff like this. It has been my experience that they tend to lump every red, white, and purple person together in categories but forget their are even smaller groupings and make sweeping generalizations.For instance you say someone is a white person. That person actually describe him or herself as white person from Dallas, Texas- quite different culture from the person who says they are a white person from Australia. They both may like Rodeo but the saddle they ride is still different. I have encountered a proffessor in grad school who attempted to be sensitive but then in the next sentence made an analogy of two tribes being just alike when not only in this instance they were not, they were from two seperate regions. It wasn't that he was wrong even though he certainly was, it was that he was ignorant. State is educating you on the Comanche way of life so you too are not ignorant. Instead of ignoring you she stepped out and let you know what was going on. It may of hurt a little but just like touching the hot stove after your mother told you not to. It may have hurt like h*ll but you learned. Not good advice just insight. --- Let's all brainstorm together
Coyoteyip is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links