Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Comanche colors Comanche colors

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #21
Experienced Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
acgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstraightdancrs

If you "advisor" or group doesn't have a problem with it - maybe you should dress yourself in tribal clothes from a Texas tribe.

I am from a Texas Tribe and I found this statement a little disturbing. I am Alabama-Coushatta from Livingston, Texas. I know that tribes have their tradition and values and hold a great pride for those traditions but no one should ever make a generalized judgements about a Tribe due to their location. Just because my tribe is located in Texas does not mean that we don't have traditions and values that are taught to generations and implying that we just put our traditional clothes on anyone.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

Coyoteyip is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Disturbing...

I agree, it is disturbing. I think what this is is an assignment. A white proffessor had good intentions on educating his class in the efforts of making his class more culturally aware in so doing s/he let his students be vulnerbal. What should have been done I think is invite a native person to come and talk to the class and then had each student write a response paper. Unfortunately because of the anonimity of the internet there is not a way of getting in touch with the proffessor and expressing the concerns that have been voiced. Hurt sometimes is an aquifer sometimes the hurt comes to surfaced and other times it is burried beneath large rocks.
Let's brainstorm together
Coyote yip
Coyoteyip is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #23
#1 Sooner Fan

blkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Ipchica, while I agree that you just can't wear a tribal dress just cause you find it interesting, I feel very honored.

You take so much interest in my tribe that you would actually take the time to do research. I know that there are not many books out there about Comanches. We were simple people.

As for color red and blue are our main colors. Yellow and green are used on our footwear. Yellow being the main color with green going up the middle of the woman's shin and along the man's foot down the middle.

In response to fncyshwl's comment, the Comanche's and Kiowa's are not the only one's in Oklahoma who can rightfully wear a buckskin. There are five tribes in Oklahoma that I know of who wear buckskins.

1. Comanche
2. Kiowa
3. Southern Cheyenne
4. Southern Arapaho (I can never spell this right)
5. Ft. Sill Apaches

I just can't stand it when I see women wear buckskins when their tribes are not traditionally known for buckskins. They will bead their tribal designs on it and call it southern buckskin. I pretty sure that if I put one of their tribal designs on my gear they would get pretty upset about it.
blkjack_daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkjack_daisy
I just can't stand it when I see women wear buckskins when their tribes are not traditionally known for buckskins. They will bead their tribal designs on it and call it southern buckskin. I pretty sure that if I put one of their tribal designs on my gear they would get pretty upset about it.
All tribes have the right to wear bucksin. What do you think NDN's wore before the whiteman brought cloth lol. It's just that some NDN's adopted wearing cloth as part of their culture more/faster than others.

But I would agree that people should wear their own tribal dress whether it's cloth or buckskin. From the tribes you listed their buckskins and cloth dresses totally look different, unique, and beautiful in their own right.
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #25
#1 Sooner Fan

blkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond reputeblkjack_daisy has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=KoolNDN]All tribes have the right to wear bucksin. What do you think NDN's wore before the whiteman brought cloth lol. It's just that some NDN's adopted wearing cloth as part of their culture more/faster than others.

I see your point about all tribes wearing buckskin before the white man came to the country. But if you are going to wear buckskin then wear it the way your tribe wore it traditionally. Not because you like the style of some other tribe.

Also our cloth dresses are fashioned after our buckskins without the fringes cause it was our kaku's everyday wear. I believe it was the same with the other four tribes.
blkjack_daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #26
Ah-Day-Mahtone

keenkiowaqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by STATE
If you are not Comanche, don't wear it. I am being blunt because I have 4 girls that are Comanche and if you are not, and you are researching an outfit just to wear it.....Don't.

I have to agree with state..I was always taught that you don't dress another tribe unless you are invited to dress in that way with the proper ceremonies and such... I have plenty of adopted comanche grandmothers who would object to someone "stealing" their dress that has been kept the same for so long because we natives are trying to preserve our culture and dress there are soo many WANNABE tribes that see a pretty dress and all of a sudden decide that it's going to be their tribal dress OUR CULTURE IS NOT FOR SALE!!

Last edited by keenkiowaqueen; 08-28-2005 at 12:47 PM..
keenkiowaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links