Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Crowns? Crowns?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 03:37 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Powwowhoney4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 610.92
Savings: 0.00

Last edited by Powwowhoney4life; 06-15-2008 at 11:07 PM..
Powwowhoney4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

Teh Hunga will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Sounds like you wear a crown and defending the subject. Does it make ya look goot????? ROFL It does matter and this attitude, "so what" is the reason things are changing and we are losing alot in the process. All things go in full circle and those of you with that attitude will be left behind at some point in time. Reason for......after things have made full circle everything comes back to where it began. I've been in this arena for many years and seen alot of things and I seen this happen more than once. Be proud of who you are and the tribes you belong to but do it in a way. Maybe you're just young but if not....well...

Last edited by Teh Hunga; 12-29-2005 at 01:25 PM..
Teh Hunga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #23
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,578.70
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powwowhoney4life
Okay here is my thought on this subject. So who exactly is to say ...? Who cares ...Who really cares ..... - everything is changing. No one has said anything about most of the dancers only go to powwows to dance for money.So I think that it doesn't matter !
.... go for it. You don't have to get permission from anyone .....

Is this the way it is now???
Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

Teh Hunga will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogapahndn
OK As I stated in the beaded vs silver crown thread, I was taught growing up that cloth dancers did not wear crowns. Only buckskin dancers wore them. Unless you were a princess and then you could wear them with your cloth dress. Today lots of cloth dancers are wearing them. Although alot of them I have noticed are buckskin dancers who have the beadwork, so they wear it all with their cloth dress. Were any of you taught this way? What are your feelings on cloth dancers wearing crowns? Not trying to cause any controversy, just stating what I was taught.
I don't know who taught you all this but it ain't true. Sounds like someone that's been in or around the arena for a short time. First of all, Quapaw women didn't wear buckskin dresses as seen in this day and age. They wore cloth dresses similar to the Caddo women. There were a few but these girls/women were part of another tribe or married to another tribe of the plains. Quapaw women were not showy. When QUapaw women started wearing buckskin dresses for competition was when the crowns came into being. WHen this happened, they began wearing them with cloth as well. In my opinion, crowns are for getting attention. Reason for....When the pow wow princess thing started they were given crowns to signify winning this distinction. In the old days, the way a woman or girl was painted was used instead or the way they wore their feathers showed their status. I do know that not all women can wear eagle feathers or plumes. Especially Quapaw women. Simply put,......do you want to be traditional among your own people or go modern like it is today. It's a free country so do as you want.
Teh Hunga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

Hey Victor! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
All things go in full circle and those of you with that attitude will be left behind at some point in time. Reason for......after things have made full circle everything comes back to where it began.
ITA. I think things have already come full circle, tons of girls are decked out in those beastly huge, sparkly, pope crowns, so much, that if you aren't wearing sparkly material of some sort and/or pope crowns, you pretty much look out of place at a powwow. You'll notice, during a cloth contest, everybody looks a bit similar, whether the people competiting are a different tribe or not. It kind of reminds me of the people on Dancing With The Stars. Competitive dancers decked out the most sparkly, gaudy clothing possible.

OTHO, I think crowns can be very pretty you know, when you don't go overboard, and if I had ever spent all that time and money on a crown being made, I would've damn sure wore it to every powwow I went to.

Quote:
Alot of the beadwork now is added with rhinestone trimming, etc...which makes the outfit stand out.
Sorry, I hate rhinestones with beadwork with the fire of a thousand burning suns. Carry on...

Last edited by Hey Victor!; 01-26-2006 at 12:55 AM..
Hey Victor! is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

Pathfinder has a spectacular aura about
To Crown or Not To Crown,,,, that is the Question

Y'all are all beginning to sound just a little bit like Hamlet! I like Paul's comment. All things evolve and change....There was a time that women weren't even permitted into the dance arena, and thankfully that changed. I think crowns are pretty. It's kind of like the times when women weren't considered dressed without something on their heads (hats, etc). Incidentally, I like wearing hats, too.

Life is so fleeting, just don't worry over the small stuff, because, the big stuff is what gets you!

Keep dancing and have fun.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #27
Junior Dancer

NanGrand is a jewel in the rough
You Go Girl!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyStar
I made a crown for my little girl to wear and I really like it.
She's almost 2 and has never been a princess for any committee, but when she wears her crown, she holds her head a little higher.

This is just my two cents on this subject, but I dance at mostly contemporary pow-wows and am most of the time a contest dancer. As a contest dancer, you have to stay with the times.
Sorry,but it's a fact. My daughter loves to dance and I'll continue to make her the best I can to keep her on the cutting edge.
When she gets older, she can change her style to reflect who she is, wearing a crwon or not.

But mostly I just made it because she looks so damn cute in it!
NanGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #28
pinklady

pinklady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 426.00
Well i make crowns for many people and most of the girls want big crown with rhinestones. it just makes it so pretty. i dont think anything is wrong with it. times are changing for sure. i remember when everyone used to use cut beads, smaller the better. those are still the best, they dont fade and they look as beautiful as they did when they first were made even if was 20 years ago, my aunt still has her crown from 1972 and it looks good.....cut beads.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #29
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
I will have to stand up for the women who are wearing crowns from tiny tots to golden age(and not just because I wear one too. LOL) In 1992, I wore a lime green butterfly crown with the smallest rhinestone edging because the beadwork was given to me by a close friend from Wisconsin. Everyone said I was being too much, going overboard, etc,etc,etc. That was 14 years ago and now it has progressed to being "the" thing to wear for competition. LOL
Anyways, when in competition, any kind of competition not just pow wow dancing, you try to catch the eye of the judges. Regalia, timing, dance style are all components of competition dancing. (just like the lime and flourescent orange plastic strips the men's fancy all wear now, crowns and rhinestones are the norm). It is just a trend, and you either change with the times or get left behind, as far as competition dancing goes.
Now, at traditional pow wows, ceremonies, etc...that is a different atmosphere and a totally different spirit of dancing, not the spirit of competition. That is not even in the same ballpark with competition dancing. When attending those dances, I wear my traditional regalia, the ones my grandmothers gave me to wear for those specific reasons.
It is just a matter of where you are, what your purpose is, and how you present yourself. that's just common sense and knowing how to "dress for the occasion". LOL Lighten up, it's all fun and games at competition dancing.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

Pathfinder has a spectacular aura about
I agree!

I agree with SLTate. Let's give this a rest. She's correct, if you watch any other competition there are trends and cycles. It just happens.

Keep dancin'

Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #31
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Iroquois women wear one but it's part of our traditional clothes and we call them tiaras... they were modeled after the tiaras worn by europeans in the victorian period ... alot of what we wear came out of the victorian period and stuck. they are covered with velvet and the traditional style of raised beadwork is done on them... they are not very tall and not fully beaded.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #32
Miss Struggs

Strugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 308.10
I know up here, Ive never heard our crowns called tiaras-Ive only ever heard "crowns." The size is about the average height, but nothing REALLY huge like the Pope crowns everyones raving about Sometimes the women wear beaded navy-styled hats, too.

Ive never heard of one having to have been a princess to wear one, though. If you want to, make one or get one made! Thats how we are...because "crowns" or "tiaras" are not really traditional to us anyway. They do look nice, though.

I, myself, would loooovee to have a silver and turquoise one like the Dine' princesses, or Miss N.C.A.I.... They are beyond fabulous!
Strugganona is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #33
Northern Traditonal Cloth

dancingbear_2 is a jewel in the rough
I was taught to wear a crown...one of your family members is or has been a leader. The crowns are very beautiful! I am a Northern Cloth so my regalia consist of traditional designs, beadwork, ribbon applique from my tribe, with the eagle feather and blums as part of my head dress.
dancingbear_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #34
trad_dancer_kwe

dawnish2467 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wearing of a Beaded Crown

I personally have always seen crowns worn by young and old female dancers. I am a cultural researcher in my area (canada) and find that much of the traditional ways of our people have changed drastically from time immortal. One of the first known recorded TRADITIONAL GATHERINGS was a Ghost Dance done by tribes in the early 1700's by bands in a ceremonial type dance which lasted 4 days straight and everyone in the community/tribe would dance together to prey for better things to come in the future. Now in more contemporary times and ages it is a No Holes Barred rule that dancers go by. The most flashiest outfits and dance moves can be seen at our Gatherings. We have evolved and are still evolving but remain Strong and Proud of who we are. I have just reciently found my Roots & Rights of my own origin in my studies and I hate to have to say it but i learned my Traditions in Down Town Toronto and not on my First Nation Territory. Not to go too far off of topic, I love to see a proud Native Woman wear a crown regardless of age. To me it symbolizes the Carriers of Life and future generations to come. And i salute any woman who has the guts to wear one and REPRESENT.
dawnish2467 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #35
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strugganona
or Miss N.C.A.I....

Strugganona,

I saw Miss NCAI this weekend.

She was "really" traditional.

She wore a little woven tule hat, went topless and barefoot!

I AM NOT KIDDING!!!

Hey, I'm not knockin' it. Props to her for stickin' to her California tribal ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnish2467
. . . I am a cultural researcher in my area (canada) and find that much of the traditional ways of our people have changed drastically from time immortal.

I don't know about that. This Miss NCAI looked as tradish as her ancestors!

Last edited by WhoMe; 03-29-2006 at 03:20 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #36
Miss Struggs

Strugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond repute
The silver Miss NCAI crown is gorgeous, though. And Brooke is, too. Was she at Denver March? That sucks that I missed her in her ensemb...When I met her, she didn't wear it at all.

But if this girl had a silver crown, I would wear it ALL the time! *L* Yeah, that would be me cruising down the street and grocery shopping in it!
Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #37
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
you can find a pic of her and her "court" on the NCAI website...her bare feet are evident, but her top is covered with banners and stuff, so you can't see exactly what she's wearing...
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #38
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strugganona
The silver Miss NCAI crown is gorgeous, though. And Brooke is, too. Was she at Denver March? That sucks that I missed her in her ensemb...When I met her, she didn't wear it at all.

Yes, she was there.

She didn't wear any crown though.

Just .... well ...... uh ..... traditional *
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #39
Miss Struggs

Talking

Did anyone get pictures from Denver March? I didn't get to go ...But I wanted to see the new Miss Denver March, too.
Sponsored Links