Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing How do you get back on time!!?!??!!?! How do you get back on time!!?!??!!?!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #1
Choc-lack-chick!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
Savings: 0.00
How do you get back on time!!?!??!!?!

Okay ladies,
I contested yesterday and SUCKED!!! I was off and couldn't get back on to save my life. I double tapped (don't ask why I thought that would work. An elder corrected me afterwards) and still no good. When you find yourself off (if ya dare admit ;), what do you do to get back on?
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2004, 12:56 PM   #2
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Girl... try and start after some ladies so u can start on beat. :) But dont copy them exactly just glance at their feet at the beginning. I'm so out of practice nowadays i'm always dancing offbeat. *L* My mom told me to start practicing at home again to my CD player.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Yup! I used to do that but was afraid the judges would trip. One of my arena moms told me to practice being offbeat and getting back on, but I'm scurred of doing that! I ended up taking second and was way surprized. Thought I was out of it. Some folks said it was because my shawl and purse were doing their thang. Good thing because my feet were dancing to some other song!

Thanks girl,
SSS fo' life
Old 04-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
You can practice to a drum that goes off and on beat all the time! :rofl2: That happens sometimes and I'm so busy trying to get the beat again that I probably look crazy but I always try to stay on beat with the drum. And if I start out wrong then I wait a second and catch it then. You'll catch on and will be able to switch smoothly. Good Luck!
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Choc-lack-chick!

That's certainly a new way to rethink an "off" drum,aye! Thanks!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

standstill is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 510.00
Super said:
"Girl... try and start after some ladies so u can start on beat. "

Just hope they are on beat too! :38:
standstill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
Choc-lack-chick!

Yeah I know what you mean. One grand entry I backed up and let a woman go ahead of me. She said, "no, you go ahead, you keep good time, I wanna check your feet." I laughed and said, "shoot, I've been checking your feet!"
Old 04-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

yeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond reputeyeeee has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Wink

Just listen to the singing and the drum...just feel it...you can take one long slow step until you find that beat again. Practice in your back yard. You gotta feel that song...even if the drum goes off beat just change with the drum.
yeeee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Champion Dancer

*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya
You can practice to a drum that goes off and on beat all the time! :rofl2:
yeah maybe the drum was off and not you :p
*-merk-* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
Choc-lack-chick!

No, no, I was definitely off. Tried to keep a cool face about it but after a while I was arguing with myself under my breath!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
Savings: 1.00
Jeez, I have not danced in almost 2 years. The last time I did dance, I was off beat a few times. I don't really practice, but I listen to the songs and tap my fingers along to the beat. I won't be dancing again for another year or so, so I will definitely be out of sync.
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2004, 03:09 PM   #12
Shighee Hoyo

Nashoba is an unknown quantity at this point
Dancing on Beat

I got one for you....I was contesting and for the life of me couldn't get on beat for the Round Dance! A Round Dance mind you....for some reason that day I was totallllllly off beat...Some days I got it and others I don't....

About the dancing in your back yard...I have to go somewhere b/c the people next door want to learn from me...and theyz white...I don't want to teach em...how do you guys feel about that?
Nashoba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2004, 03:21 PM   #13
Choc-lack-chick!

round dance, dang I feel you cousin. As for the backyard, I'm blessed to have high fences. My neighbors are Black and Mexican. Neither family seems to care or notice. I can understand your concern though. My nephews used to live in a house next door to an apartment. This one dude used to stare down at them when they'd practice. It really made them uncomfortable.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #14
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Yikes!!! Been there, and done that. I always start on my own, but sometimes it is easy to go offbeat when the drum changes beat. You have to listen and match your rhythm with the drum. you kind of slow yourself down and get back on. Or if you are really a pro, you can bluff it and make it look like everyone else if offbeat. haha
Practice, practice, practice. My girls and I practice to several different drums. WhiteTail has a different beat from say...southern thunder and then Cozad sings Mia's song and they drop the drum beat all together and you have to have your game on for that song...or you will go waaayyy off.
My problem lately is I am dancing too fast, not out of beat, just a little too fast on my dip. I guess I am too excited for spring to be here. ha ha I have always danced real aggressive though. LOL
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #15
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Quote:
Originally Posted by *-merk-*
yeah maybe the drum was off and not you :p

that happened to me tues. every1 who was dancin was and we were all like what in the world. we all if that was inc ontest wed ask 4 another song guys...

n e ways...when i get off the honor beats get me back on, unless the drum is off then theres no tellin

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2004, 06:53 PM   #16
Band Manager

Miss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond repute
Umm.. I've been offbeat. My sister always sees it too.. :) She'll be like... "oooh ya missed it!".. and I see her watchin, too. Makes me all nervous...

But anywho... this woman once told my sister to start on her left foot. I tried it a few times.. and it worked. I also try NOT to look at the other women cuz that doesn't help me at all. It's easier for me to juss listen to the song.. and go with it. The more I concentrate on going to the beat... the more off I get. LOL.. OOh gawd... AND I haven't danced in awhile.

I'll hafta buy some new CDs to practise too... any suggestions? :p I need a CD with some round dance songs on it.. that's what I need to improve on!
Old 04-17-2004, 03:46 PM   #17
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
I guess for me it depends on the powwow. Like was mentioned before I usually try to listen to the drum and feel it.

Some powwows I could not even glance a other people because they were hoppin and bobbin all over the place.

I've also seen powwows where I think the only thing that would help would be to do the 5...6...7...8 Schlemiel, schlimazel....hasenpfeffer incorporated. :rofl2:
Old 04-17-2004, 06:01 PM   #18
Choc-lack-chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
I've also seen powwows where I think the only thing that would help would be to do the 5...6...7...8 Schlemiel, schlimazel....hasenpfeffer incorporated. :rofl2:
Now that I gotta see!! :50:
Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 PM   #19
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I am always so embarassed when I am off the song. I've danced (exhibitions even!) to a couple of inexperienced drums where the beat would change every ten steps! Very annoying! You would think the singers would look at the dancer or the back-up chorus bobbing behind them to find where the beat should be! Thank god that doesn't happen very often!
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
Band Manager

Miss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechy
I am always so embarassed when I am off the song. I've danced (exhibitions even!) to a couple of inexperienced drums where the beat would change every ten steps! Very annoying! You would think the singers would look at the dancer or the back-up chorus bobbing behind them to find where the beat should be! Thank god that doesn't happen very often!
hehehe.. yeah.. I start blushing.. when I know that someone I know has noticed I'm a lil' off... ya know!?! :Chatter

:blushing: :Blush :blushing: :Blush

My goal this year... Practise, practise and practise my round dance!! I will not be off beat and I will not get a cramp. :p