Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Intertribal wear??? Intertribal wear???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Savings: 0.00
Intertribal wear???

Okay this has been bugging me for awhile so I wanted to get the girls opinion on this subject.

How do you feel about cloth dancers who mix their tribes clothing together to make their own "style" (for lack of a better word)?? I remember growing up I would've been yelled up one side and down the other if I tried that. So of course now I don't think it's right. But I am curious to other opinions.
I even got in trouble for wanting a choker to go with my breastplate instead of wearing a scarf around my neck!

So how does everyone feel about it? If you're three tribes would you want to represent them all at one by wearing stuff from each???

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaePrincess
If you're three tribes would you want to represent them all at one by wearing stuff from each???

Candae Cane,

I would like to see this combination of these three (3) tribes...

A Yupik,Navaho and Seminole.

Wearing a fur parka hood, velvet blouse w/Squash blossom necklace and long patchwork skirt....

and...

enter the southern women's cloth division - at Kaw Powwow.

WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Unhappy Losing Tribal Identity

AYEEEEEEE dang whome that was a bad visual hahahaha...anyways I was taught not to combine tribal wear, thats what I've been saying all this time is that we are losing tribal indentity by doing the grananimal thnig, mix and match, well that all cool when your representing one tribe but when you start mixing and matching tribes this is not cool. You should be proud of each tribe you represent I'm sure the Elders would appreicate this, I was approach several times by Elders thanking me for keeping the "old ways" alive . I feel bad for these Elders, having to see all this going to the commercial hollywood, wanna stick out like a sore thumb ways. so this is my opinion and only mine.
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe....I think she was probably already out at Kaw this year, and she made stops all up in northern oklahoma. She was like a 1/32 indin (all three tribes). Got dang.
I agree...dress in all three if you want, but not all three at once.

As I recall....WhoMe was one of em who hollered at me about wanting a choker. He says....You need to keep wearing your scarf like you're supposed too.

He's bossy like that.

I still wear the scarf.

Imagine that.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Quote:
WhoMe....I think she was probably already out at Kaw this year, and she made stops all up in northern oklahoma. She was like a 1/32 indin (all three tribes). Got dang.
I agree...dress in all three if you want, but not all three at once.

As I recall....WhoMe was one of em who hollered at me about wanting a choker. He says....You need to keep wearing your scarf like you're supposed too.

He's bossy like that.

I still wear the scarf.

Imagine that.

GOT DANG Candae Cane,

When I told you to keep wearin' your scarf . . . I didn't mean over your mouth and under your eyes (Like them Mescalero Apache Mountain Spirit Dancers) when you go to the powwow food booth.

I saw you trying to order .....

and they all had their hands up!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
Whay!
No Wonder I Got Those Nachos Free.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Haw!!!

frybreadboogie72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat
AYEEEEEEE dang whome that was a bad visual hahahaha...anyways I was taught not to combine tribal wear, thats what I've been saying all this time is that we are losing tribal indentity by doing the grananimal thnig, mix and match, well that all cool when your representing one tribe but when you start mixing and matching tribes this is not cool. You should be proud of each tribe you represent I'm sure the Elders would appreicate this, I was approach several times by Elders thanking me for keeping the "old ways" alive . I feel bad for these Elders, having to see all this going to the commercial hollywood, wanna stick out like a sore thumb ways. so this is my opinion and only mine.
Well said kiowakat!!!
frybreadboogie72 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
i agree about that mixin and matchin thang - just making things go together cuz they think they look good.

as for me - i have four cree/kiowa/commanche girls - right now they dance mainly "southern". they did dance jingle and fancy at one time.

and we are currently getting a kiowa buckskin dress/boots made for our oldest girl by family in oklahoma ... as for the others i'll support the choice they make whether they dance southern style or northen style or even go fancy or jingle ... and i will try to follow and respect protocol in those styles as best as i can
Old 09-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
AAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHA... leave it to whome!!! silly!

ok... this may be off topic a bit... but what about tawny hale - are any of you all familiar w/this fancy dancer?
she's lakota & navajo... she wears her hair in tradish ol' fashioned style braids w/a part down the middle & a single eagle feather standing straight up.
her style is so kick azz! i'm such a fan of hers... but this is a dope representation of her lakota side! she def stands out from the rest of the other fancy dancers out there who wear french braids & plumes - that's for sure!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
T.K.O.

saukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
saukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 90.00
At Stroud this past year, I didn't really mixed my tribes up, but I think that I confused some people. I am a fancy shawl dancer, but I wanted to dance cloth- so Friday night I wore a camp dress.....You know those are always so plain...so I spruced it up a little. I made some nice designs on it. Everyone still thought I was dancing fancy.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
chahtaprincess

chahtaprincess is an unknown quantity at this point
ndn dress

okay, so im choctaw but i have a cuz that is choctaw and cherokee and she likes to mix the two tribes... i don't really like it 'cuz she is more choctaw and i think she should stick to one or the other... my family has enough of us wanting to be something were not... but i have another ?
when you guys see a dancer that doesn't look all that ndn do you get upset... like im 1/8 but i have a friend that is 1/2 and when were together i look somewhat white...:(
i just feel like some ndn's don't like me out there rep'in. cuz im not all that ndn... i don't look white unless somebody really dark is next to me but still... please give me a reply to my ?
thanx... sara
chahtaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #12
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahtaprincess
okay, so im choctaw but i have a cuz that is choctaw and cherokee and she likes to mix the two tribes... i don't really like it 'cuz she is more choctaw and i think she should stick to one or the other... my family has enough of us wanting to be something were not... but i have another ?
when you guys see a dancer that doesn't look all that ndn do you get upset... like im 1/8 but i have a friend that is 1/2 and when were together i look somewhat white...:(
i just feel like some ndn's don't like me out there rep'in. cuz im not all that ndn... i don't look white unless somebody really dark is next to me but still... please give me a reply to my ?
thanx... sara
Well Sara this is my opinion and mine only.. I not talking for anybody else but from my experiences... I was raised in a pow-wow community and I have made many friends along the way in the pow-wow circle, some ndn, some whites..we were all in the same circle respecting each other ..I believe you can't stop someone that wants to believe in your beliefs..but there is a line.... that nobody talks of.... and nobody crossed....that was then and I cherish them days it has taught me respect....Now, toady is very different we have a lot of people trying to take our culture (sweats,sun dances, medicine men and women) these are all Tribal things that were not meant to be exploited that was our identity ......(example) My daughter is 1/4 Kiowa , blonde hair blue eyes, it's about being attached and in communication with your Tribe. If we dont learn from the Elders of our individual Tribes, We'll never really know what it means to be from that particular Tribe. While living apart from my Tribe right now, I stay in contact with my family....my stronghold....this I believe is what makes us the Tribe we claim to be from!!
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 06:21 PM   #13
Dancer 4 Life!!

paintedsun22 has a spectacular aura about
if you know u aren't a wannabe that's all that matters, so long as you are respectful and try your best to do things the right way. people will see that you really want to learn and respect that.
paintedsun22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
Ok here is the question.....WhoMe.....
Where did the scarf come from????? and why did they start to wear them?????
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #15
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
For smaller accessories I think It's ok. Like, sometimes I wear medicine wheel, porcupine quilled earings that my cree side gave me.

But it wouldn't be ok if somebody who wasn't from the plateau wore a basket hat.
And even though I think they're beautiful & really accentuate a dancer's movement, I don't wear a breastplate.

I like my stuff to match my tribe.
I try to stick with a certain time period, but I deviate here and there.

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #16
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Talking

Quote:
Whay!
No Wonder I Got Those Nachos Free.
she said Nachos!!! MMMM MMMM! Can I have one???

Rep your tribes.... but one at a time.... I like when I look a woman dancer and tell what tribe she is.... thats keen...

Geranimal... thats funny....

what if the girl was part skin and part k'ongion? would she have buck and leppard skin??? gwah just keen!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #17
Singer & Dancer

nativesweetie77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahtaprincess
thanx... sara
To me it's not about how ndn u look or even how much ndn blood u have but about what u feel in ur heart. As long as u r out there for the right reasons and representing in the right way then I think it's ok.There r some who mat disagree, but go with what's in ur heart.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #18
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat
Man.. iroquoian old ways ar'ent taht old. We started wearing what you see today in the 1800's during the victorian period. Before that we wore buckskins but not like plains style buckskin clothes. If I were to wear the old style clothes I would get called a hobbyist cause the hobs are always the ones dressed in pre contact type clothes. Them and reinactors. But I love that old look.....the men looked way impressive back then!
Old 02-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted By: chahtaprincess
thanx... sara
Don't let your looks make you insecure. You're always going to have problems with some looking down on you for your looks.. I've learned that myself. You will on occasion find yourself doing the same thing to the next blue eyed, blonde haired indian you meet as well till you realize what you are doing. I'm half and quite fair complected to the point I am told ALOT that I don't look native even though I look like the rest of my native family side. I've learned to live with it. But I'll tell you right now... if you are insecure about your looks, the others will pick up on it as well. If you can't be happy with yourself, and whatever hand genetics dealt you... then you will have a lot more problems than higher quantum natives possibly giving you the scrutinizing eye.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
Pow-wow Princess

this_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond reputethis_lil_oneidagurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 121.00
Well the way I see it Pow-wows ain't that traditional like they use to be, and when people want to rep there tribes it's because they feel like they are a part of each and every one of them and just want to show it. Everything in Powwow land is changing and I guess we got to adapt to it.