Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Kiowa Dress Kiowa Dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Kiowa Dress

just read the new whispering wind and they had an interesting article about the kiowa battle dress anyone else read it?

great pictures of the dress
and history of the dress, guess what there were womenwearing a headdress in the pictures also.
something new everyday!
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Red face

But also remember in that article that we do not have permission to copy that dress. It was a very informative item and I am glad to see it printed.

tipis
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

BeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond reputeBeadedPony has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, Deltadawn...women wearing headdresses is NOT new. As the article stated, it is handed down through families and has been going on for quite some time. I believe that Mr. Ruminator posted a photo in the gallery (historical) of some Comanche women wearing headresses.

The Comanche have a similar dress - blue with red sleeves and gusset down the sides. They call it a "mad dress" or a "red sleeve."
Old 07-29-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
i did not say the headress were new, i said I learn something new everyday, sorry for the misunderstanding seeing how cherokees didn't have headdresses of the sort(except for the new pink ones that tourists purchase here)

and yes one should not copy those dresses
but i liked the article and thought i'd bring it to peoples attention

Like i tried to say before the dress was something i learned that was new to me, and had an explanation to the behind the why?
Old 07-30-2002, 02:15 AM   #5
Southern Cloth Dancer

jlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond reputejlittlecrow has a reputation beyond repute
Women wearing war bonnets is a special occasion here in OK, and I hear it's the same way up north. For example, Wallace Coffey (former Comanche chairman) & his wife held a dance for their daughter last year when she graduated from college. An elder, who has the right, did put a bonnet of her then, as an honor. You don't generally see women going around wearing bonnets at a pow-wows here. I'll have to check out the article, hadn't seen it yet.
jlittlecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

The article was about the black dress, the headdress is an aside
but most of the pictures did have women in headdresses.
Sponsored Links