Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Ladies, a personal but important "?" Ladies, a personal but important "?"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2002, 12:24 AM   #1
homalosa

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ladies, a personal but important "?"

Now, promise not to hate me for asking this question. I mean, I just want to know what everyone else does out in the arenas of Indin Country.

Ladies,
Do you or don't you dance on your moon?
I was told that traditional Northern women don't and although I'm Southern, I don't. Just felt like being daring, since we're all girls!

To avoid any other grossness, just answer with a yea or nay. Could make a poll of it, but then my mom would blush.:blushing:
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2002, 01:14 AM   #2
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
I don't. I know others that do, whether they are in competition or not. I don't have regular moons because of college, I tend to stress out alot and skip months, That's one way to control you rmoon, its not healthy, but its effective.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:42 AM   #3
homalosa

When I was regular I didn't. I nursed my 18month old for 13 months and went without "aunt rosie" for nearly two years. Now that she comes again, I avoid it. I was once told that it's considered bad medicine.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:05 PM   #4
Riverwoman

I don't, and was told that you stay away from the drum, sweatlodges, and all other things, that have power.

A woman is powerfull during this time, and you are also not supposed to "walk" over the legs of a man, or wear his clothes.

Just my two cents!
Old 08-04-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
homalosa

Riverwoman,
I was told the same thing, especially about the drum.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I don't and I've been told you're not supposed to. b/c you have strong medicine at that time and men don't like that around them, near the drums or the circle......
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2002, 06:11 PM   #7
Banned

Cheshire Cat is just really nice
Cool

If you go into the archives on this subject, you will find it has already been beaten to death.

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2002, 06:56 PM   #8
Senior Dancer

zeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

cheshire cat, do you have anything to contribute to this board that isn't telling people to stop talking about whatever they're talking about? last time I checked, this was a discussion board...
Old 08-09-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Someone who's posted alot

nativewife has a reputation beyond repute
nativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond repute
I don't dance anyway, but because of the teachings in this area, I won't enter the arena for anything (like to bring drinks to the drum) while on my moon. I don't go near the drum. I also don't work on any regalia (or outfits, to those who don't like that word).

This not only applies at powwows, but also when we do presentations for camps and schools.

I've had men not want to shake my hand during that time, either. The only reason he knew is because we were at a ceremony and I had to stand outside of the ceremony, and have someone else get my food during the feast.

We are also not supposed to prepare certain foods or handle foods that are prepared for others.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:32 PM   #10
Banned

Zeph, I quess I get a little tired of seeing so much redundancy on this site when it does have some good search engines.
But you are right, in your own way, and I will not be so "Blatant".

Now, what Native Wife just put on was very good and highly informative new information. Gives you an insite into some "real" going ons. And she puts it in a nice manner.

But in reading the past post on this subject there was a very long and informative amount of information on this same subject about a year ago. I know I am new to this site and should listen to my elders???

Cheshire Cat:Angel2 :Angel: :Angel2

Last edited by Cheshire Cat; 08-09-2002 at 09:36 PM..
Old 08-09-2002, 09:36 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

saponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
Question

I know this is off topic Cheshire Cat.....but is it true cats always land on their feet when dropped from high places;) :Chatter ???
saponi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2002, 09:39 PM   #12
Banned

I am living proof that that is maybe not true. I have been dropped on my head so many times, that I bob and weave a lot.
But I always come up with a big smile on my face....and sometimes lots of mudd. Been known to chew on my foot a great deal.

Cheshire Cat:devil :Angel2 :devil
Old 08-09-2002, 09:41 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

saponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond reputesaponi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
;) ;) What about Nine Lives?? :Chatter :Chatter
saponi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2002, 09:51 PM   #14
Banned

Talking

What nine lives......I am Budist, we live forever. I just keep coming back and back and back..........

Cheshire Cat
Old 08-10-2002, 02:52 AM   #15
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Part of the reason there is so much redundancy is because of so many new members that come in here and ask questions before checking the archives...I do the same thing and I have been here awhile.... rather than talk about how redundant the question is and alienate new posters...just acknowledge that there has been this conversation before and direct them to the archives or post a link to the archived discussion. If you don't want to do that..then simply ignore a discussion that you know is being repeated.

GAls I have my own mixed emotions about moon time, but it is tradition and I follow it.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:56 PM   #16
homalosa

Black Bear, thanks for putting it so respectfully. I apologize ladies, since I started the thread. I'm not a new poster, but come and go. I should've checked the archives. But also, you never know what new things will come up when old topics are recycled.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:24 PM   #17
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy It may be redundent, but ...

As has been said, but since I am new to Pow Wow.com , I am very glad to read the opinions of others, especially when I have a nearly 16 yr old daughter to teach, and we have in the past year finally got talked into going into the ring. I have been taught the same things, and try to do the same as Nativewife. These are the things I teach my daughter as well.
Another reason I stay home from Pow Wows at that time is need I say it, lack of ummmm bathroom facilities? Even if I don't choose to dance, I love to visit, but not during that time, especially for that reason!

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2002, 12:24 AM   #18
homalosa

to that i have two words:

Porta-potty:eeewww!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:19 PM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by homalosa
to that i have two words:

Porta-potty:eeewww!
I am a boy scout leader and am often having to share common facilities during 'mother nature' time. To be more descreet and private, I carry a zip-loc bag tucked inside a small paper bag. I place all my soiled paper and other items into these bags and deposit them in a garbage bag that I keep in my tent. That way no one has to know but me. Being the only female on most of my camping trips, if I did not do this everyone would know. Then I would die of embarrassment.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:03 PM   #20
homalosa

Sheila,
That's why necessity is theMOTHER of invention! Men could never be so smart. Good tip, thanks!
Sponsored Links