Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Princess?
Been a Princess 80 61.07%
Not been a princess 51 38.93%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Pow Wow Princess Pow Wow Princess

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Pow Wow Princess

Just read about Frank Liske PW coming up and thought huh what does one do to be a princess, i thought the committees picked out the girls.... little do I know, so I'm asking people here

what doyou do to be a PW Princess?

And have you been one ?
Okwataga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
princess

When Kim became princess of Liske, there was an elder of the Ponca tribe there helping. She didn't have any questions for her.
But the elder told her what she would expect from a princess in OK. When she went to dances help where wver she could. Welcome people to the dance, even if it is not the one you represent. Be on time as often as possible. The big thing is help whereever and whenever you can. If you see someone struggling with what they have, help. If you see someone in a wheelchair or having a hard time getting to the meal, ask if you can get their meal for them. These may not seem like a lot but judges from other dances and people that never know if they are going to be a judge, watch the girls at times you would not think of. Also watch what you say, you never know who is around to hear a nasty comment about another dancer. I don't care how good they can dance. They just lost points or went down a few grades.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2002, 09:56 PM   #3
Turtle

The Coharie and NCNAYO princess pagents are just like a miss nething pagent, they have a talent evening wear and reglia plus they had to answer a question on stage and i think they had an interview before the comp started. i guess they choose from that i unno there could be more but im thinkin of runnin soon :49:
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2002, 10:30 PM   #4
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
I've been a PW Princess twice

1994-1995 Panther Bend Senior Princess, Dade City, Florida
1998-1999 Cherokee of Georgia Princess, St. George, Georgia

For both, registration was early in the morning and you to be dressed in your regalia. Shortly after the afternoon Grand Entry or afternoon dance session they took us aside and interviewed us. Then we danced and they broke for dinner. The ladies who interviewed us all gathered somewhere to discuss who they liked the best. Then later on after the evening Grand Entry, they announce the runner-up and the new Princess. And the give you the crown and a shawl, and sometimes a sash.

But now down here, there is no prestige in being Princess. Now they let the vendors decide who wins, the girls fight with each other over who should win the crown,their regalia is just any old thing, and the crown is totally made of cloth and glitter and droops down. Its really sad.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
princess

Last year we let some girls that were just a year or 2 too young sit in on what was asked of the girls running. I do not see any problem with letting adults here this also. They are part of a princesses reign too. She needs the support of her family. It is not a one person effort.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
Band Manager

Miss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond repute
Pageants...

I have been in a few pageants in my life. The first one, I had no idea I was entered until my cousin dropped the bomb. :p It turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I was given the title and I went on to represent my family, my community and my people in other pageants. Currently, I'm a "First Attendant"... it was close... but I'm proud to say that I had the highest points for personal interview.

The "format" of the pageants were basically all the same. It took place over 3-4 days. The ladies go through a dance competition, a private interview, public speaking, a talent show, and in a couple of them we had to sell a certain amount of raffle tickets. In one of the pageants, the talent portion was divided into contemporary and traditional. Our Traditional talent had to reflect our tribes custom and traditions. Contempory talent could be anything such as singing, storytelling, etc.. At the talent show, we were also judged on our public speaking ability. Each contestant was asked one question and there was a one minute time limit to give a response. In addition to the question, we had a five minute time limit to discuss a Native Issue. The talent show was the big nite.

Of course, throughout the pageant, judges/organizers/pow wow committee/etc paid close attention on how we presented ourselves, and how we interacted with fellow contestants and the public. "Eyes and ears" were all over.

It's a lot of work. If I had to do it again, I would. I had tons of fun at these pageants. I have made some really good friends along the way. I always thought pageants "weren't my thing" but once I was in.... I looked at them in a whole different perspective. For one, they help with building up your confidence! I was always terrified of public speaking and now.. I get jittery but.. I go out there and give it all I got. It was truly an honour respresenting my people.

I hope that answers your questions delta dawn.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:31 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

eagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond repute
I've been a princess for two organizations here in OK....the first one the group selected me, and the second one, I had to go through an interview, and I guess my answers won them over. It's a tough job, in my opinion. I was never allowed to walk around at a dance, just had to sit there. I was always dancing, which is good I guess...kept me out of trouble. I also ran for Jr. Miss Indian Oklahoma , and won 2nd runnerup. That was an all out pageant, and we went through several events that day, interviews, tribal greetings, tribal dress, scholastic achievements, and a traditional talent. So...it's a good experience. Hope that I was helpful
eagle_clan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2002, 08:10 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 366.94
I have been a Tribal Princess twice and a half...Aye.

1988-1989 " Miss Fall Festiva"l (Known as Miss Teen Cherokee now) for 1/2 a year cause my cuz got it then got pregnant and I was first runner up.
1889-1990" Miss Fall Festival"
1990-1991" Miss Cherokee"

Now for realz my great great grandkids can say that their grandmother was a real CHEROKEE PRINCESS....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAA.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2002, 04:23 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

the_powwow_bandit is an unknown quantity at this point
The Indio California Pow Wow put on by the Cabazon Band is always looking for good princess candidates. Besides a beautiful crown, banner and shawl, the winner gets $1000 and a room at the next Indio, and yet there are usually only 3-5 contestants. That pow-wow is bi-annual in March and October.
the_powwow_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2002, 12:29 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ayita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond reputeAyita16 has a reputation beyond repute
I am currently a princess now. The frank liske park powwow princess 2002-03.

In this competiton you had to anwser some interview questions that the judges asked you than have a dance competiton. Then the judges decide who wins and they crown you.
~Ayita~
Old 08-09-2002, 03:41 PM   #11
Senior Dancer

zeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond reputezeph has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
1889-1990" Miss Fall Festival"
wow, tooter, I had no idea you were that old! :Chatter
Old 08-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #12
Jingle Dancer

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
I was Frank Liske Park Powwow Princess 2001-2002. I'm in the competition for Miss Native Way in Tifton, GA.

Chenna

MizzQaqimat's Space
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2002, 08:19 AM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 366.94
Well I guess I did blab it huh? SSHHHHHHH just don't tell nobody else...Aye.

Anyways I don't feel like I am that old and I still get carded for cigarettes...YEEEHAAAAAAAAA! If you were to meet me I bet you would think that I was about 20. It makes me feel really good...wonder what I will look like when I'm forty...hehehe.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2002, 12:46 PM   #14
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally posted by ChenoaNativeGirl
I was Frank Liske Park Powwow Princess 2001-2002. I'm in the competition for Miss Native Way in Tifton, GA.

Chenna
good luck! i'll be there!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:58 PM   #15
Jingle Dancer

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by TradishJingleFancyShawl

good luck! i'll be there!
Kewl! Are you dancing? Are you competing for MNW too? I was going to be fancy down there, but I'll be dancing jingle now.

Chenoa

MizzQaqimat's Space
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2002, 08:43 AM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ceapha_0919 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a question. What happenes AFTER you become a princess? What are the rules and regulations and what do they expect of you?
Old 10-06-2002, 03:40 PM   #17
Beth

duties

I was always told that you make as many dances as you can. Welcome people to the dance, even if it is not your dance. If you see a person in need of help, you offer to help them. You offer to help the committees of the dances. You are on time for grandentry. Find out what the committee that you represent expects from you. But mostly be you. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 AM   #18
Band Manager

Miss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Nish has a reputation beyond repute
Most pageants have rules and regulations. However, I don't think you should HAVE to be told how to represent your family, community, people, and also the committee in a respectable and positive manner. It's true... the most important part is to be YOU. I'd rather have an honest tribal representative than a "phoney" one.

You have a good point Beth. It's always nice to see "royalty" helping and "mingling" with others. Who wants a repsentative that walks with their nose up in the air?

Another thing.... Practise what ya preach! I have seen Princess' preach about living a healthy lifestyle but then they were doing exactly the opposite. (i.e. drinking or doing drugs) We need positive role models for the younger generation.

When I was a "princess"... I travelled to various pow wows and youth conferences. A couple of times, I was a guest speaker. I admit, I was nervous but then I was at ease. It was for a good cause.... promoted education... something I believe is very important!
Miss_Nish is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2002, 01:52 PM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ceapha_0919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks so much girls. I was just kinda nervous because next year I want to enter a pageant and what if I did win? wouldn't know what to do. But sometimes, it's hard to put your finger on the obvious. And Miss Nishnab, I totally agree with you: "I'd rather have an honest tribal representative than a 'phoney'one."
Old 11-08-2002, 05:09 PM   #20
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Quote:
I have a question. What happenes AFTER you become a princess? What are the rules and regulations and what do they expect of you?
Well I know we were expected to act good and dance all the dances at the pow-wows we went to. We were expected to make as many pow-wows as we could on top of the Benefit pow-wows that the org that you were representing hosted.

I always went places w/my mom and sat by her and never walked around or if I did I had to sneak to walk around... go out on the opposite side of hte arena ;) But most of my friends danced so it wasn't a big deal to constantly be out there.

I was a princess for 3 organizations.
Otoe-Missouria Tribal Princess
Kickapoo Pow-wow Club Princess
Sac-n-Fox Expo Princess

But i'm not giving dates !!! :)