Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing Question about color... Question about color...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 246.30
Savings: 0.00
Question about color...

it probably would serve if this was in another part of the forum, but I'm trying to help a friend learn all she can about Cloth Dancing. We were at an Intertribal Gathering this past weekend and when she was explaining about the color of her dress wanting to be black with purple, many people were frowning on the color black. I understand black in men's regalia, and I also understand the practicality about black in hot summer days outside (you'd roast to death). But, is there a cultural significance to why the color black shouldn't be worn in a Women's Cloth dress?

Any info is greatly appreciated. My friend is Shawnee/Pawnee mix, btw, if that helps anything.

Eric
redhawk45 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

redhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond reputeredhawk45 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 246.30
Second attempt. I see 90+ people read this, but no one has posted. Please...anyone know the reason to the above question to please answer:) Otherwise, my friend is about ready to just make the black and purple dress she wants (and I, for one, don't need her offending no one at powwows).
redhawk45 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,412.42
Tell her to talk to people who are Shawnee and or Pawnee so she can get an idea of what colors they typically use for both the dresses and the beadwork. Also black during the summer would be brutal, unless you live in an arctic region

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Is the answer she is waiting for to go ahead and use black? Really, she can use any color that she wants. But if she's already asked in the area that she is going to be dancing in...why won't she follow their advice?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Southern Women's

tonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond repute
tonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,837.23
I agree with ToolBox...different tribes use different colors...being Kiowa, I use a lot of blues with accents of reds, greens, whites, oranges, yellows, and a little bit of black...like I said the latter 6 is only accent colors...I am also Onieda...which is purples and whites and neutral colors...depends on the tribe and the family...also, does she have family symbols that are important?...have her ask her Native community for the best answers...also, dress style is going to be reflected of her tribes
tonepahhoter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Anything goes in Ohio..or so I've heard.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,269.27
haha that is too true anything goes in ohio. lol hmmcan't wait till i leave ohio
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,269.27
well with colors i know with my tribe i cant wear red because i aint first born sadly im middle child, the black sheep well u get the jist lol

just go with whatever her tribe is , basically she needs to consult ppl in her tribe before she even dances. ROAD TRIP!!! LOL
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

alison3492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 141.08
I would love to make a dress like this some day. I'm just wondering, though, if many people are sewing the shells directly on the dress & how many sew them on to a separate cape. What do most dress makers do? Also, if you don't have the money for the smooth shells & have the kind with ridges, would those look ok. What do you think?