Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing style changing style changing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 384.00
Savings: 0.98
style changing

i have a question for this group. is the style changing from what we have pictured in cloth dancing? i'm working on a kiowa cloth and finally have everything done but my boots and want to know if i'm now out of "fashion" before i get to dance in it?? my dress is just plain with nothing on it with an apron with fringe.
nativedancer5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
It6 depends on what you mean by style changing. It sounds like you are doing just fine. When is the last time you went to a Pow Wow, what were they wearing? Plain to ornate is up to the individual dancer, and what they want, or feels right to them.

Is this your first Pow Wow dress? Then maybe you might want to talk it over with some elder ladies from Pow Wows that you know, they can help you. If you are used to Pow Wowing, then you would already know that styles don't change with the wind.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Last edited by Tsiniti; 02-16-2004 at 05:22 PM..
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Tsiniti
It6 depends on what you mean by style changing. It sounds like you are doing just fine. When is the last time you went to a Pow Wow, what were they wearing? Plain to ornate is up to the individual dancer, and what they want, or feels right to them.

Is this your first Pow Wow dress? Then maybe you might want to talk it over with some elder ladies from Pow Wows that you know, they can help you. If you are used to Pow Wowing, then you would already know that styles don't change with the wind.
Other important questions are:
Are you NDN (Kiowa)?
Have you been initated into the powwow arena?
Do you have right to wear the Kiowa dress?

If you said yes to all of the above, you shouldn't be
experiencing any problems. Ask your Kiowa relatives and
Kiowa elders.
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Exactly......point well made and hopefully well taken.
You are wearing a Kiowa dress and that dress has not changed. when you are dressing in your traditional regalia, according to your tribe, then you will be fine.
It's when those who are not a certain tribe and begin to wear a dress because "they like the style" then that is when it gets touchy. They change the style of the dress, change the original design, flash it up with colors that do not belong with that particular dress.
Dress your own tribe, according to your elders and you will do fine. That never goes out of style.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

nativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for all the input. and yes i know the ways.and yes i have permission.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:45 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by sltate
Exactly......point well made and hopefully well taken.
You are wearing a Kiowa dress and that dress has not changed. when you are dressing in your traditional regalia, according to your tribe, then you will be fine.
It's when those who are not a certain tribe and begin to wear a dress because "they like the style" then that is when it gets touchy. They change the style of the dress, change the original design, flash it up with colors that do not belong with that particular dress.
Dress your own tribe, according to your elders and you will do fine. That never goes out of style.
Best advice I have ever read on this site.....Can you put this on EVERY Dance thread. maybe a special heading..
Old 03-05-2004, 01:18 AM   #7
Senior Dancer

someone asked if i had permisssion to wear this style and i didn't give a clear answer before and if i was kiowa. i married a kiowa/apache from the Berry family and Goombi clan and yes i have permission.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #8
StanfordPW*Publicity*Diva

Miss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond reputeMiss_Kiowa has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, there's two basic Kiowa dress cuts (with gussets or without gussets) but these two shapes of dresses really don't change much.

The variations are usually in the fabric used or the designs on the dresses. I guess that's where the "style changing" is. Your dress sounds fine... it's a very classic choice and will always look nice.
Miss_Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links