Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing T~Dress T~Dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 AM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Silly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
T~Dress

I was wondering about the T-Dress as in information on how to construct one...It looks pretty simple but like many "simple looking things" it can turn out to be difficult. What and where the measurements need to be taken and the basically the basic construction...etc...
Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Silly
Old 08-14-2003, 03:25 AM   #2
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Crazy Crow has the pattern . But since I cant read them it was not simple for me mine is still left undone lol ..ruffle needs to be attached etc etc ..my sis was helping me with mine . Wish you luck.
WolfTears is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Use a Missouri River Plains Indian Cloth Dress pattern from Crazy Crow. It's a very simple pattern which usually takes about 3 yards of fabric (watch the instructions for pattern layout if you're using selvage-edged tradecloth).

I don't recall a T-dress pattern having ruffles anywhere on it...maybe you're thinking of a Cherokee Tear Dress M.Turtles. A T-dress or tab dress (usually thought of as Comanche or Kiowa in origin) is named for the T shape of the dress when it's laying flat. The body of the dress is a long rectangle with long, skinny gussetts or tabs extending down the sides of the dress and extending about 3 inches below the hem of the dress. The T shape is achieved by the sleeves which are nothing more than rectangles sewn to the dress on one edge at 90 degree angles from the body. They drape over your arms open like scarves. I ALWAYS add extra length to the sleeve patterns so they hang past my elbows and leave room for decoration.

The tear dress is a separate pattern completely. It calls for more fabric (for ruffles and a full skirt) and is more complex to sew.

Hope this helps.
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Riverwoman

You can get in contact with Janet Littlecrow, she makes all kinds of regalia, and has some very nice T dresses on her site at:

http://www.littlecrowtradingpost.com
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2003, 06:25 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Robin_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: T~Dress

Quote:
Originally posted by Silly_Az_girl
I was wondering about the T-Dress as in information on how to construct one...It looks pretty simple but like many "simple looking things" it can turn out to be difficult. What and where the measurements need to be taken and the basically the basic construction...etc...
Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Silly
Are you going to put designs on it?
Robin_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2003, 06:26 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Robin_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
....or do you wanna make it out of calico?
Robin_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2003, 03:53 AM   #7
Teen Dancer

Silly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond reputeSilly_Az_girl has a reputation beyond repute
Question design.. calico

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin_1
....or do you wanna make it out of calico?
I have no idea..I think the person all ready has their design they just wanted to know where the pattern can be obtained..but I do appreciate everyones assistance!
~SILLY
Silly_Az_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Collette is an unknown quantity at this point
Question t-dress

Not sure of the orignal question, I have always understood that the T-dress is just that a simple dress shaped like a "T", but from what I'm reading here, are all of you saying that a T-dress and a Cherokee tear dress are the same? I was born in Montana and there a T-dress is just that, my grandmothers and old ways say they are not the same. what does everyone think?
cw
Old 11-22-2003, 09:06 PM   #9
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: t-dress

Quote:
Originally posted by Collette

Not sure of the orignal question, I have always understood that the T-dress is just that a simple dress shaped like a "T", but from what I'm reading here, are all of you saying that a T-dress and a Cherokee tear dress are the same? I was born in Montana and there a T-dress is just that, my grandmothers and old ways say they are not the same. what does everyone think?
cw
I think you need to go back and re-read. No one said they were the same. One person got a bit confused, and mis read.

The T dress is considered Kiowa

The Tear Dress is Cherokee, mostly Oklahoma more so than Eastern Band.

They are different.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

orangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 212.00
Going to get the Missouri River Pattern this weekend so I can start making myself a T dress...do I need the tradecloth pattern to do the dress with broadcloth or can I simply adapt/ adjust the plains style T dress pattern if it is even necessary???? Planning to use a solid color cotton for teh dress and then add appliques and some ribbonwork....I'll take all the advice you want to give me!!!! OP1
...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936
orangepridendns1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsiniti
I think you need to go back and re-read. No one said they were the same. One person got a bit confused, and mis read.

The T dress is considered Kiowa

The Tear Dress is Cherokee, mostly Oklahoma more so than Eastern Band.

They are different.
And the WING dress is from the Northwest. Go to this website:
wwwnative americandanceoutfits.bizhosting.com/
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2005, 04:25 AM   #12
Bear-y overprotective

Dakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepridendns1
Going to get the Missouri River Pattern this weekend so I can start making myself a T dress...do I need the tradecloth pattern to do the dress with broadcloth or can I simply adapt/ adjust the plains style T dress pattern if it is even necessary???? Planning to use a solid color cotton for teh dress and then add appliques and some ribbonwork....I'll take all the advice you want to give me!!!! OP1
The plains style dress pattern will work for cloth of wool broadcloth. Just a note if you are using wool broadcloth you may want to line it with muslin so it doesn't itch.
Dakota Wica'hpi Ina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
Teen Dancer

orangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond repute
Question I'm ready to start just answer this one question please????????

"Going to get the Missouri River Pattern this weekend so I can start making myself a T dress...do I need the tradecloth pattern to do the dress with broadcloth or can I simply adapt/ adjust the plains style T dress pattern if it is even necessary???? Planning to use a solid color cotton for teh dress and then add appliques and some ribbonwork....I'll take all the advice you want to give me!!!! OP1

"The plains style dress pattern will work for cloth of wool broadcloth. Just a note if you are using wool broadcloth you may want to line it with muslin so it doesn't itch."

Dakota, Walela, Mato, someone please......
So can I use the Tradecloth dress pattern to make the dress out of cotton/ calico????

I found a beautiful red cotton and picked up some royal blue stain for the edges as well as some black, yellow, white and red satin to make turtles to repeat pattern wise across the bottom and arms...once done it will match my favorite shawl that my hubby gave me years ago.....
...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
the Missouri River Plains Indian Cloth Dress pattern also gives instructions for using tradecloth (yardage and layout so your striped edges fall in the right places). I've never bought or even seen the Missouri River Tradecloth Dress pattern, but I would imagine it would also work for any fabric...this brand of pattern is fairly comprehensive.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #15
Teen Dancer

Smile

The tradecloth pattern is probably the same patern that is shown with the plains cloth dress pattern if I had to give you a guess...one way for a company to make a couple of extra bucks is to make the same pattern or the same basic pattern then sell one as the cloth and the other as the tradecloth eqiv. it doesn't mention that you could make the dress using different material and it is providing layout and measurement info based on the 60" wide broadcloth/ tradecloth.. it shows you how to cut an upper body piece and a loer body piece plus your gussets and sleeves and then obviously attach to make your dress... I attached two links so people can view the pictures but they really look so similar to me and if they provide the directions in the plains cloth pattern to make the same dress with the broadcloth I would like to think it would work in reverse...okay that is enough rambling thoughts for now...feel free to let me know what you think if I am really off track on a Friday afternoon..

http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=9

http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/m...oduct_Count=14
Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #16
the legal plumes lady!

so did you already buy the tradecloth dress pattern...and does it ONLY show the layout for 60" material?

cuz the plains cloth dress pattern shows the layout methods for both 60" and 45". I would use this pattern as it seems to include more info.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
Teen Dancer

Thumbs up My questions are being answered!!!!!!!

Yes, I bought the tradecloth pattern yesterday when I should have waited until today and bought the plains cloth, but I talked to a friend who has been sewing for awhile and is familiar with the two patterns and she said that I could defintely do the tradecloth dress using the cotton / calico. I am so excited because now I can start my dress..hubby's leggings will be finished tonight- except for the fringe work which we will do this coming week at my parents house...I figure we will have to do a little creative placement to get all the pieces laid out corretcly but I bout 4 yards of material and since I am a whopping 5' 4" and 130 lbs at 4 months pregnant then I figure I should have enough material...so my new question becomes does anyone have directions for a set of women's leggings so I don't show any skin??? Thanks again to everyone for all of their help!!!
Op1
Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
Bear-y overprotective

Dakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant future
You can get the pattern from Missouri River, it's called Women's accessories. Or you can make your own pattern. Do you want tube style, w/ zipper, or velcro closure?
Dakota Wica'hpi Ina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #19
Teen Dancer

Smile

Well, I finished my very first T Dress this afternoon using the Tradecloth dress pattern..the pattern itself wasn't tha difficult but I must also say that before today the most sewing I had done was blankets, pillowcases, hooded baby towels..very easy simple projects..I got frustrated several times and I made a few mistakes...lucky me I think I can repair the damage I did..I want to post a pic but I have a new photo program and I have yet to figure out how to make files smaller...pretty stinky..anyway I did get the main body of the dress done now all I need to do is add my ribbon work and adornments- ie other ribbons and applique work and we'll hope that it looks better....lol
Old 08-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
congrats, on getting your dress sewn! I wish I had thought of this before hand but: your going to find putting on ribbons, appliques, etc. would have been much more simple before you had sew the dress together. I learned that when making my first dress too:)
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links