Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing T~Dress T~Dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #21
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
orangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 212.00
Savings: 0.00
Smile I must presevere!!!!

I wondered before I sewed it if that would be the case, but I am such a novice seamstress that I wasn't sure..oh well..gotta learn as you go and cross a few mountains along the way....lol...Thanks for the note though..it looks better to me this morning but I am seriously thinking about going and getting some more fabric and trying again.....the dresss looks great other than some funny seams that I plan to cover with ribbons....
...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936
orangepridendns1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #22
Liven Large on the Rez

rezgranny is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Thumbs up T Style Dress

I recently made myself a T Dress, and all I did was fold 3 yrds of material in half, pinned it, measured the length from my shoulders to mid calf, measured my bust, and hips and added a couple of inches, and I measured the lenght of the arms from the shoulder to just below my elbow, pinned this al down and cut out the pattern. I then cut out a neckline and sewed it all together. I cut out a design on the bottom of the dress, attached contrasting biais tape to the sleeves, bottom and neckline ,and sewed on an unlay of fancy pattern material. I then sewed on cowerie shells to the biais tape on the bottom and the sleeves. Simple, no pattern, just a style of dress I saw other dancers wearing. Hope this helps and doesn't sound to confusing.
rezgranny is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #23
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
Dont' forget your apron! There's a thread somewhere on here about folks not wearing the apron anymore.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #24
Teen Dancer

orangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond reputeorangepridendns1 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Thanks Homalosa. I had already talked to one of my Chickasaw mentors and she has ben guiding me as I go as well. I have the base of my apron done but I am going to add a few pieces of applique- like what is on the rest of my dress- to it and then I will simply need to add my fringe...I have read that thread too and I don't see alot of dancers wearing an apron, at least at the dances we go to..
...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #25
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Ur so very welcome!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #26
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Homalosa, enjoyed looking at your very informational webpage.

Last edited by WocusWoman; 08-31-2005 at 07:08 PM..
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #27
Teen Dancer

Here is a picture of my T dress right after I finished sewing it..before I added any of the ribbons or appliques..feel free to offer constructive advice if you want!!
OP1
Attached Thumbnails
closeup-karis-firsttdress.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #28
Teen Dancer

Here is my T Dress with the ribbons- three layers of color- added on the edges and sleeves...so what do you think?? I still need to finish ironing on all of my applique work and then sew it down and it will be done.
Attached Thumbnails
tdresscloseupwithribbons.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #29
Choc-lack-chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
Homalosa, enjoyed looking at you very informational webpage.
Thankya!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #30
Teen Dancer

Question Now what do I do???

Okay folks, I finished applying all of my turtle appliques to my dress and if I do say so myself it really makes it look alot better- the dress really pops now with the additionof the turtles- 16 total on the dress, 5 on my apron, 1 on each legging= 23 in all and 3 of each size to make teh layer look....so, my question is now what do I do with it? Do I sew down the edges using thread that is the same color and hope it stays looking beautiful? I used Wonder Under underneath teh 3 layers but will it stay???? Can it be washed- material is a cottonpolyester blend plus ribbon plus satin turtle appliques...? I know so many questions and so little time..did I mention I will be wearing this for the first time in about a week??
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #31
Teen Dancer

Picture of my dress with appliques....

Attached Thumbnails
dresswithturtleappliques.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #32
Teen Dancer

Thumbs up Close Up of my applique work

Here is a close up of what the turtle appliques look like-I really hope that all of you enjoy the pictures and thanks again for all of your help!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
copy-turtleappliquecloseup.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #33
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
that looks good, yes you need to get all your edges satin stitched down, it would have been easier to do this before you put the pieces together. Otherwise you have a dress that has appliques that will start lifting and probably is not washable.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #34
Teen Dancer

Thumbs up I can do that!!

well, I definitely need a dress that is washable so I don't mind sewing the edges down..onca again I have to learn as I go and I just can't seem to make this dress an easy project! LOL I guess it is a good thing that I am keeping my sense of humor through this creative processs though huh? :) So here is a great question..what exactly is a satin stitch? I have a sewing maching and I can just set the stitch to look however I want it to so what does a satin stitch look like???? Thanks again!! and Wocus thanks for telling me that my turtles look good- you are the first to comment!!! At least online and out loud..lol..
OP1
Old 09-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #35
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

I like turtles; my mom loves turtles, her ancestors of the pawnee were"turtle people." Anyway; satin stitch is just the term for; zig-zagging with little to no space between the stitches, which gives you the "satin effect."
Old 09-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #36
Mz. Beanie

Ima Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond reputeIma Humanbean has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
that looks good, yes you need to get all your edges satin stitched down, it would have been easier to do this before you put the pieces together. Otherwise you have a dress that has appliques that will start lifting and probably is not washable.

How do you satin stitch before you put the pieces together? Then how do you put them on the material?
Ima Humanbean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #37
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

1. You cut your dress or shirt pattern pieces out first.
2. You make and cut your appliques out next. I use some type of iron-on facing in either white or black fabric on the back side if each, to stiffen and make it easier to cut and sew without loosing the appliques' shape or edges getting frayed.
3. BEFORE sewing your dress or shirt pattern together, you place your prepared appliques on the item, and pin them down where you want them to be. (the more pinned the better.)
4. You satin stitch each and every edge down to the item you are making.
5. After you have whatever ribbon, appliques, etc. sewn down into perfect position, all you need to do is just sew your dress or shirt together at it's seams, wholla you have an item that looks good! OK hopefully:)
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #38
Teen Dancer

Thumbs up The end is near!!! LOL

Just an update..only 4 more blessed little sacred Daksi family turtles to sew down to my dress....I have temporarily removed teh turtles that were on the neck area because I couldn't seem to get the room to sew them down, but I will try them again when I get back from my refreshing pow wow weekend with hubby!!!! So, once I get these last 4 babies done I have officially finished sewing, designing and making my first T dress for Southern Cloth!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:52 AM   #39
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
Orangepride - that looks really good! My dad's tribal (Chickahominy) symbol is the turtle so of course I love that! Great job~
Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #40
Teen Dancer

Smile The finished project!!!!

Here I am dressed out at a Pow Wow hubby and I traveled to with some friends a few weeks ago.....Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and kind words as I embarked upon this project.
Attached Thumbnails
kjindianacrop.jpg  
Sponsored Links