Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: do you turn or not??
YES 23 79.31%
NO 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing to turn or not to turn to turn or not to turn

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
to turn or not to turn

okay ladies who turns in, then back out when the drum beat tell ya to?? how many steps do you take to turn back out? and why?
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Junior Dancer

Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeRainbow has a reputation beyond repute
hay,

this was one of my questions as well.
I was asked " why do you make a back step"??
I said" what back step"?LOl
That is the way I saw other girls dancing!!

another guestion is: Do you bow when doing the side step?
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
Do you bow when doing the side step?

Nope, I only bow before I give someone a side kick!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Cool

I was taught to take about three steps in on the "honor beats" and about three steps back in to the dance area. All this still going forward so not to run into anyone.
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
I turn towards the drum (but i'm northern cloth)

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

cesi_79 is on a distinguished road
I usally take three steps back or stand in place when the honor beats are done. To honor and for respect.
cesi_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Golden Age Powwow Dancer

Traditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat
okay ladies who turns in, then back out when the drum beat tell ya to?? how many steps do you take to turn back out? and why?
Okay here goes, I was taught to take 4 steps toward the drum and four back. It is the southeastern way to honor the drum on honor beats. I have seen women dancers take as many as 8 in and 8 back.

I was born in NY so I was also taught to dance in place and/or raise my fan to honor beats.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Northern Traditonal Cloth

dancingbear_2 is a jewel in the rough
turn or not to turn

I was taught when I N-Traditional dance i don't have to bow...sometimes on the honor beats I can raise my fan, I usally don't. I only do half turns when I round dance. I step in one place on the honor beats. I think we should show some visable respect for the drum. Also, depends on the dance you do, its different for each dance. I think if you listen to the drum beat and count how many steps you can do on the honor beat is find and you can turn or if you prefer you don't have turn, what i notice they all have their own style and grace.
dancingbear_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Nope, I only bow before I give someone a side kick!
mussy *L*

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #10

Morningstar Singer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by uw_n8iv
I turn towards the drum (but i'm northern cloth)
If the drum is in the center or on the outside of the circle?

Traditionally Northern doesn't turn or bow.
Morningstar Singer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Savings: 1.00
Im Southern Cloth ,when I turn towrds the drum I go any where between 4-6 steps depending on what im hearing , I like to be on my last step at the end of the honor beats and come up at very end of those beats dancing back in time with the drum.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
I forgot to say I come back out how ever many I go in
Old 05-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes
I forgot to say I come back out how ever many I go in
BUH - I heard someone say the samething at the nine once. LOL
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningstar Singer
If the drum is in the center or on the outside of the circle?

Traditionally Northern doesn't turn or bow.
in the center of course lol I was wondering about northern women if they did that or not Aho!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #15

turn or not to turn

Sorry,
I should have been more specific on the bowing...I do not bow or turn...I was referring to the southern cloth.
"It's All about Grace"
Old 05-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #16

Traditional Lady,
Did you make it to the GON? If I would of made it there...I would of been in Golden Age. If you did go...how did you do?
Dancingbear_2-"Traditional Dancer"
Old 05-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #17
alesandra

swbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 619.10
I'm Omaha, and Omaha women bow going out, 4 steps out then 4 steps back in. Why? Because that's the way it's always been done.
swbreez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #18
Golden Age Powwow Dancer

Traditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear_2
Traditional Lady,
Did you make it to the GON? If I would of made it there...I would of been in Golden Age. If you did go...how did you do?
Dancingbear_2-"Traditional Dancer"
No I didn't, but it is on my wish list. I have arthritis in my knees and back and it limits how much I can do.

I made it to the Paiute Powwow at Pyramid Lake in Nevada last year and they gave me a southern honor dance (they very seldom get southern dancers). Wow it was a great time! It is one of those places that you get a great feeling when your feet touch the earth. The Paiutes made me feel like was family.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
Pow Wow Committee

I have a bit to add if i may.

My question for you all is do you turn in during intertribals? or just during contests? I know what I do butt ill ask you all first lol.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes
My question for you all is do you turn in during intertribals? or just during contests? I know what I do butt ill ask you all first lol.
good question eagleplumes (smiles) I forget some people only do that when they contest lol..I , myself don't contest but still turn to the honorbeats......
Sponsored Links