Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing What does your tribal dress represent? What does your tribal dress represent?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
Zi-Sunka

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Do any of you wear heirloom dresses that have been passed down?

My sister has my grandmother's buckskin. She also has a traditional manta of the Pueblo people that belonged to our mother. My sister wore these when she used to compete in Ntive pageants.

She will one day pass these down to her daughters.
Most of my accessories are Heirloom.. Such as my 1920's Blackfoot Headband, which a girl traded from my Grandmother, my 1950 Wolf Paw Pin and Berry basket pin, 1970 moccasins from my mom, and a few other things. They dont have much sparkle but they are really nice. The wolf has a hand made silver concha in the middle. There a painted bag that I carry that is kind of old. Don't have any heirloom dresses though, just non-dress.
Zi-Sunka is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

wichapi is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 683.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Do any of you wear heirloom dresses that have been passed down?

My sister has my grandmother's buckskin. She also has a traditional manta of the Pueblo people that belonged to our mother. My sister wore these when she used to compete in Native pageants.

She will one day pass these down to her daughters.

I have my grandmas buckskin and her belt and breastplate, and hairtyes, and my great grandmas moccasins. I wear my grandmas stuff from time to time.

I only have a son so I hope one day he has a granddaughter for me to give it to.
wichapi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #23
Teen Dancer

Items Present
sbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond repute
sbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,563.38
I bet everyones dresses are so beautiful! Well lets see I am of mixed blood being Choctaw, Cherokee and we believe Sauk(aka Sac and Fox from my understanding)although I'm not sure on that as of yet so can't really claim it, there is also a very small possibility of Creek but I'm not one to claim a certain people unless I know for sure. I have a Cherokee tear dress that I will wear on occasions, I also have been blessed with a couple T-dresses that I wear to powwow in they are made out of cotton, nothing really fancy as I like to keep it more simply and add the beadwork and accesories as I go. Then my adopted grandmother is putting the finishing touches on my Choctaw dress(I am so excited about it!).
As far as heirlooms, I was the only child born to the middle, and younger children of both sides of my family so there was not much left once everyone run through my families stuff when everyone passed(grandparents) however my parents did manage to get and now have given me several beaded necklaces, one wooden necklace(not sure if it is something from our NDN or white side) then the most beautiful Turqiouse pin that was suppose to be off of the Navajo reservation back in 1920! None of these I wear because I fear of something ever happening to them.
I was also blessed that my grandmother(the one I refer to as my adopted grandmom)gave me a beaded Medallion, and a roundcomb that I will cherish forever. She also let me wear one of her dresses and apron at a local social dance and I will be forever greatful of that(the one in my avatar).

I wanted to add I am still learning all I can about my heritage and their ways. I love this forum as I get to learn more in depth information from people rather then some of the ones I've encountered locally that want to say they know everything and then I find out they are not correct in what they say or have been told. THANKS everyone!
sbarnes88 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

short apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99.00
i Think todays ladies dress is to contempary. Don't get me wrong contemp is great and beautiful for competions. I am just old fashion i guess, but still love traditonal dress.
Well i am quater apache and adopted comanche.
I wear a red velvet long sleeve colar shirt with small buffallo conchos on my shirt, buffalo because that was the food souce and was very important. turquois jewelry, concho belt, a ruffle velvet camp dress or skirt. Hair tucked up. moccs.
i also wear comanch t-dresses the different design dresses that i have is american flag long fringe on sleeve, blue satin, red embrodiary floral, shell, turqouis color, and yellow and black dress with fringe on sleeve. i wear a breast plate moccs with fringe. with fringe represents not married. apron velvet with long fringe. i love the apron when dancing love. but to me less is more. and i was told to never where a green dress, because its a sign of mourning for someone. is that right? and is it true once u wear a jingle dress u can't wear a buckskin or cloth or fancy shawl? i was just told that didn't know?

Last edited by short apache girl; 08-06-2010 at 05:20 AM..
short apache girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Zi-Sunka

Zi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by short apache girl View Post
i Think todays ladies dress is to contempary. Don't get me wrong contemp is great and beautiful for competions. I am just old fashion i guess, but still love traditonal dress.
Well i am quater apache and adopted comanche.
I wear a red velvet long sleeve colar shirt with small buffallo conchos on my shirt, buffalo because that was the food souce and was very important. turquois jewelry, concho belt, a ruffle velvet camp dress or skirt. Hair tucked up. moccs.
i also wear comanch t-dresses the different design dresses that i have is american flag long fringe on sleeve, blue satin, red embrodiary floral, shell, turqouis color, and yellow and black dress with fringe on sleeve. i wear a breast plate moccs with fringe. with fringe represents not married. apron velvet with long fringe. i love the apron when dancing love. but to me less is more. and i was told to never where a green dress, because its a sign of mourning for someone. is that right? and is it true once u wear a jingle dress u can't wear a buckskin or cloth or fancy shawl? i was just told that didn't know?
Not sure where that came from. I switch from fancy, jingle and traditonal all the time . What tribe told you about green dress?
Zi-Sunka is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #26
Pow Wow Visitor

short apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zi-Sunka View Post
Not sure where that came from. I switch from fancy, jingle and traditonal all the time . What tribe told you about green dress?
yea a comanche lady told me about the green dress. ladies would were it because they were in mourning of someone or something. may not be true but i was told that and i was wondering if any one new if it was true? and if u dance jingle because its very important dress u can't dance nothing else. is that true?
short apache girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
Apache girl, you need to ask your people.
wardancer likes this.
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #28
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,269.27
im osage. my dress is still in the making as im switching over from jingle to southern cloth. so far its lots and lots of ribbon work, silk shirts (thank gawd tjmax and sears) and wrap around broadcloth skirt. my ma always said its better to represent yar tribe the right way. but im gunna go all the way out with beadwork. i got like tons of pretty brouches just pick and choosing. goin with a tie dyed shawl (meaning dual color fringe) with ribbonwork on it . fingerwoven belt and macaw fan . i know of a guy who does great feather work out in missouri. my ma said loop necklace and a nice silk scarf i should wear but i seriously would miss wearing my fully beaded choker with drop. no breastplate. with the choker can i still get away with fullybeaded choker or stick with what my ma says (for contest dancing)?
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

lucipherphill is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 145.00
Cloth represents the tribe or ancient culture, we and our ancestors belongs.We belong to Asian tribe. Our dress 'Dhoti kurta' represent our tribe speciality. Nowadays, Asain tribes are being followed throughout the earth.

Last edited by lucipherphill; 04-04-2013 at 02:10 AM..
lucipherphill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
blueberry

Items User Name Style ChangeUser Title Change
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,507.37
My traditional dresses are representative of my tribes and area... I'm trying to get one or two dresses for each of my tribes. I have an elk skin shell dress with painted diamonds along the sleeves in the old short fringe style. I also have a beaded nez perce short fringe of white German tan, and I had an old style cheyenne but I scrapped it for leather use. I am working on my beaded elk tooth crow dress. People tell me I should go jingle but I never feel at home in my ugly bad applique skills.
Anyways, the diamonds on shell dress are family. There is an eagle and two yellow bears on there. The shells and dentalia rosettes rep the old trade and my Dakota grandparents.
blueberry111 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links