Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Cloth Dancing who would you choose... who would you choose...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2002, 12:34 AM   #1
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
missy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Red face who would you choose...

okay, so i've been away from the boards for awhile now, but i've been seeing the big topic of glitter and glitz pop up quite often, and i've just gotta ask...
regardless of immediate opinion, who do you get more lost in watching, the girls who are dressed to the nine in all of the sparkle and shine, or the ones with the more traditional outfits?
and from your personal opininons, who would you rather cheer for? a professional poser, or just a dancer?
missy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2002, 12:17 AM   #2
Clueless

Samatha is an unknown quantity at this point
Glitter and glitz

Its hard to put togather them awesome glittery outfits!! You really have to put a lot of effort into it. Doesnt mean that, they are a poser. Its really hard to come up with an origanal outfit like that. Thats just my opinion anyways.
Samatha is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2002, 03:10 AM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Well it has been said before but I will say it again...had alot of these materials been out there to use back in the old days...you pick when the old days were...LOL, then we probably would have used them then too. As many of our "traditional" materials dissappear on us we do end up looking for alternatives. But as long as there are the materials out there, there are those who are going to use them. I don't think the glittery, sparkley outfits take away from the more traditional outfits...sometimes they make them stand out more! Depends on how many of each are out on the dance floor. I love to see both...I want to see both. And if they can't dance, then they don't need to be on the dance floor right? LOL!!!
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 AM   #4
Tiny tot mommy!

}!{ tinkerbell }!{ is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 70.00
I think what it all comes down to You have to change with the times! Like Blackbear said, I'm sure if they had it back then, they probably would have used them. Besides, back then it wasn't like they could just go down the road to the fabric store!
}!{ tinkerbell }!{ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2002, 04:23 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

red_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond reputered_summit has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 102.00
Thumbs up hmm.. toughy :p

Actually I kinda like them both. The glitter and glitz is pretty cool. A lot of people have such outfits, which is kinda also why I like the old style. It looks so cool, I dunno I guess I just like the older style, because it's more traditionalized.

:Angel2
red_summit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2002, 11:38 AM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

moose2u is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree-I like them both. I've seen a lot of changes over the years and the glitz that is out now is a fad. Eventually, it will change to something else, new and improved. I think it shows everyones individuallity, which is great!!!:rainbw:
moose2u is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2002, 05:54 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

eagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond reputeeagle_clan1017 has a reputation beyond repute
since this is everyone's own opinion and stuff......I like to say that I like the old style. Yeah all the glitz looks good, but I think that staying close to the old is the best. For me personally, I use satin for ribbonwork, but that's about as glitzy as it gets. I just think that everyone has their own style, so do what you like. The shiny and sparkly stuff looks great on some people, but just doesn't on me. To each their own, I say. If you think you look good and can dance, more power to you. :D
eagle_clan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2002, 05:06 PM   #8
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
glitz

For myself I like the old ways. But some of the young girls look great. No matter how fancy your cothes are it ends up that they still have to be able to dance to they best they can.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2002, 01:29 PM   #9
THE ULTIMATE MULTITASKER

oOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 320.00
glitter and ................

Well, I am kind of in the middle of this subject. Part of my matching beadwork has rhinestones on it which make it very sparkly in the sunlight. My leggins have some on it too! But the rest of my beadwork is not like that. Well, the reason why this is so, is because my permanent outfit has all the sparkly stuff, while my temp outfit doesn't. Yes I guess you do have to change with the time.

I have seen a lot of beautiful beadwork during my life, and adding more to it makes it better. Even If I was judging, I would have to go with the dance style, not the outfit.
oOoSouthernStyozoOo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2002, 05:41 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

southern_apache_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I'm in the center also. I like the glitter outfits but the traditional are really cool to. I guess it just depends on how she dances. Now days you see a lot of glitter things and i guess you begin to roll with it. Times are changin'.
southern_apache_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2002, 09:45 PM   #11
Banned

Talking i'm impressed...

sorry once again, i've been out of the loop for awhile...

i think the biggest concern i have is keeping up... i've always believed that appearance is everything... it's one thing to know how to dance, another thing to have dance in your blood, and a far other thing to appear to be GOOD. i also believe that the hardest thing for me to take is the idea of pure competition. sure we've all got bills to pay, and outfits to maintain, but i wonder sometimes about the girls/ladies who are only out to make the money because they know that the money is there. i've danced my whole life... i mean my WHOLE life... and in that i've seen a lot of people come into the arena with just the desire to beat everyone, as opposed to just having the passion to be there. please don't get me wrong, i in no way mean to say that the girls in glitz chose to be that way because they want to win, but you have to admit, in making an outfit, and going to a pow-wow, deep down there is that small desire to look as well as you can so that you will place...
Old 02-07-2002, 10:02 PM   #12
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
clothes

Missy
All the fancy or plain clothes does not matter. What does matter is that you do the best You can. Go in there with what you have been taught. The right mind and heart set. A young girl I know told me niece one time that everyone has their time to shine. You will find yours.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 08:31 PM   #13
Ruby76

I don't think it matters really how fancy or plain your outfit is just how well you dance, How you carry yourself, and how often you are in the arena. I would chose the girl who tries the hardest, dnaces the best and acts properly. :Angel:
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 12:18 AM   #14
Banned

good point...

in a lot of ways i agree with everyones response, but come on, you have to agree that appearance is important, right? thank you for your encouraging words though... i certainly know what it means to have your moment in time... a couple of years ago, i held the title for my nation's fair powwow, and after that everything seemed to go uphill... lately, i've been away from the arena though, focusing on school and getting set up on my own two feet, but i'm sure you know how that goes....
Old 02-17-2002, 01:18 AM   #15
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
Glitz & glitter are really " in" nowadays, I've made alot of the beadwork w/rhinestones in it the past few years ! I like to see a nice, well put-together dance outfit - glittery or not.
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2002, 03:55 PM   #16
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
I agree that glitter and glitz are "in". But given the choice of traditional or glitz - I vote for traditional stlye regalia. I think that if you are confident in who you are, you can wear most anything. But in competition it all boils down to ---CAN THEY DANCE---. If you need glitz and glimmer to get noticed then you are out there for the wrong reasons.
To me and my family traditional sytle is what we wear - have been told that I need to glitz then up to get them noticed. Don't want to go with sequins and rhinestones - would rather they get noticed because of their abilities as dancers and the fact that they are dressed as traditional as I can get them.

Just my opinion. Hope no one takes offense.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2002, 12:48 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Danzcraz is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that everyone sees the glitter and sparkles on the dancers that are
winning top places at all the major pow wows and so that is what sets
the trend.

When the top winners change their outfits because too many are wearing
the glitter and sparkles then all that will be out and the tend will change to
whatever the top dancers are wearing.

Gee, I wonder whats next, mini neon light bulbs complete with battery packs?
lol :p

It will be interesting, but we'll probably see a change here soon, cause this
glitter and sparkles have been out on the circuit for about 5 or 6 year now anyways.
Danzcraz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2002, 09:07 PM   #18
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
I don't mind a little glitz - rhinestones on crowns and incorporated TASTEFULLY into beadwork. I think tradish is best but a little sparkle doesn't hurt.
But when you need sunglasses inside or in the dark....Come on!

Hopefully battery packs and lights aren't next.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2002, 05:32 AM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

jinglealltheway is an unknown quantity at this point
well i agree with you luvstraightdancers. glitz and glimmer is o.k. as long as they don't go overboard with it.
i think it has to go with the way you dance also. if you dance the comtem. style, glitz and glimmer will fit right in with you.
and if you dance the tradional style its better to not have that much glitz. but then were all beautiful however you want to look!:D
jinglealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2002, 05:36 AM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

jinglealltheway is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with you luvstraightdancrs. theres nothing wrong with all the glimmer and glitz as long as you don't go overboard with it. i think it has to go with what your wearing and how you dance. (if you dance the contemp or the trad. styles.) :D
jinglealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links