Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Singing > Southern Singing Accent/honor beats Accent/honor beats

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Fat Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Accent/honor beats

regardless of what people call them.

in southern songs, the three in the middle....

should they be the same speed or faster than the rest of the song?

I ask becuase I see both happen, a few drums I have seen do them REALLY fast to the point that it messes up all the dancers.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Dtwosnakes

Dtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond reputeDtwosnakes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob

I ask becuase I see both happen, a few drums I have seen do them REALLY fast to the point that it messes up all the dancers.
good question,bjjb,I'm gonna wait to hear what the answer is to this one, myself
Old 11-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,809.97
The honor beats are louder, not faster. Listen to the old tapes and you'll hear that they never speed up these beats.
Ron
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Quote:

bjjb,

The three hard beats in the middle of a song actually have a meaning of why they are included in man dance/helushka songs. They are meant to flow with the song, not get ahead of it.

Singers who do not sit around ceremonial drums are usually the ones who get ahead of the song with the three beats. And you're right, it does mess up the dancers and make them switch feet,, and dance to an uneven beat.

In my tribe's wardance society, we only use two beats in the middle of the song. Many top singers today from my tribe can easily make this transition.

Last edited by WhoMe; 11-06-2006 at 11:04 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Old Singer Dude

indianjoe1946 is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 237.98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
bjjb,

The three hard beats in the middle of a song actually have a meaning of why they are included in man dance/helushka songs. They are meant to flow with the song, not get ahead of it.

Singers who do not sit around ceremonial drums are usually the ones who get ahead of the song with the three beats. And you're right, it does mess up the dancers and make them switch feet,, and dance to an uneven beat.

In my tribe's wardance society, we only use two beats in the middle of the song. Many top singers today from my tribe can easily make this transition.
I too was always taught that the 3 beats in a Southern song were to be to same tempo as the other beats.......many years ago, I had the honor to learn from someone who is very well respected as a singer ( he has a seat on his Tribes "Big Drum" (Ceremonial Drum), and he also stressed that they were to be even, not faster......and yes, there were to be TWO in the middle on the "Big Drum" and there are also two in some Northern style powwow songs.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
cool, thats what i thought. most of the time when that happens, i end up dancing crow!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Savings: 1.00
In my experience as not only a singer, but a professional musician, this is what happens... when things get louder, they get faster... it's a natural tendancy that you have to break as a singer.

In our songs, as we're coming up to the salute, we will put in a "rock" that gets gradually louder before the three strong beats. It's all a matter of subdivision of the beat internally (sorry the musician in me... or as my wife calls it, my musical turrets! LOL) One thing that we started doing on our drum to solve this problem was to play through the salute the first two push-ups accenting the "honor beats", and playing it Strong, weak, Strong, weak, Strong so that when you get to the third push-up, you shorten the lead (if it's possible) and the three honor beats of the salute stand out and help build the energy, but by this time, where to place the honor beats is no longer a question... just a trick we picked up from some more experienced singers, and it has improved our sound and precision a TON!!!!

Just an idea...

Paselo!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
Old Singer Dude

indianjoe1946 is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 237.98
Yes, louder and faster do sometimes equate......we solved that tendency with our younger singers by double tapping the 3 beats in the middle. That enabled them to keep them equally spaced, and after they got used to that,we were then able to progress to the 3 single beats and stay in tempo. The double tap helped them get used to NOT speeding up, eh ? Very similar to what Redshield did with his group.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
From what I was taught, I think RedShield is right on the drum with his explanations.

Now here is the killer for me. When honor beats are done right, the SPL (sound pressure level) coming thru the speakers goes way up and over peaks the speaker. Thats what blows speaker drivers. (Just ask Red Shield about Kimbolton, Ohio)

In other words, If you are using an amplifier with 1000 watts of power and your speaker is rated at 1000 watts of power, an honor beat can cause the amplifier to produce as much as double the wattage for that beat.

To protect our speakers, we use a device called a compressor that takes the signal produced by the honor beat and compresses it to the maxium output of the power amp and speaker.

The loudness of the honor beat comes thru at a lower "SPL", but the air movement from the speaker is still there and is increased. That's how we "Feel the Drum" It also helps protect the dancers from hearing loss. The "SPL" is what make a person go deaf at a big rock concert. Over time high spl levels will cause you to have hearing problems.

There are so many times I dance the circle to substandard sound systems causing the honor beats to distort because the sound system isn't correct for the application.

Those honor beats mean so much to a dancer in the circle. Why would you want to distroy them with poor sound quality?

Putting the honor beats in the right place in a song let alone keeping them consistant is a killer sometimes for those around a drum.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

LuncheonMeat49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I've seen this for years.....because of the rushing you see dancers do this......

dance, run (honor beats), dance........dance, run (catching up with the song), dance.........all the while, trying to make it look 'good'....
LuncheonMeat49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

bjjb,

Is there really any "honor" in beating a drum faster than the rest of the song???

*L
Old 12-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
Fat Singer

Is there really any honor in beating something>?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
My understanding is the hard beats mimic the rifle or cannon fire through the village under attack and the honor beats help remember the ones that died...
Old 12-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #14
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah
My understanding is the hard beats mimic the rifle or cannon fire through the village under attack and the honor beats help remember the ones that died...
FWIW, This is what I'd always heard as well. When I was dancing more, that's generally how I interpreted those beats in my dancing.
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
Fat Singer

What about the new drums that put them in anywhere? Is it just to sound cool? (mainly northern)
Old 12-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #16
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Here's something from WhoMe on the duck&dive. It seemed relevant.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...60&postcount=8
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49
Here's something from WhoMe on the duck&dive. It seemed relevant.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...60&postcount=8

Hobbs,

Different tribes do different things for different reasons *L

Actually to some southern tribes the three beats have a meaning that does not represent guns, cannons or thunder.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Hobbs,

Different tribes do different things for different reasons *L

Actually to some southern tribes the three beats have a meaning that does not represent guns, cannons or thunder.
So what are the variety of reasons that you know or heard of
We are talking powwow songs not traditional songs
Which based on the tribe could have 560 different ways to express
Sponsored Links